2022-23 Around the NBA Thread

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian, how do we get you to be a Suns fan? I mean seriously, how did you become a Lakers' fan in Mesa?
Ha. Not going to happen.

I am originally from "The Valley" aka the San Fernando Valley in California. Born in Van Nuys and grew up in Reseda. The Lakers are the first pro team I ever followed and Norm Nixon was my favorite player when I was a kid in Los Angeles.

Moved to "The Valley of the Sun" - specifically South Scottsdale - when the state only had one pro team and I adopted the Cardinals, Coyotes, and Diamondbacks as they moved here.

After graduating high school in Scottsdale moved to Tempe for a couple of years before finally settling in Mesa. Been in Mesa for nearly 30 years now.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha. Not going to happen.

I am originally from "The Valley" aka the San Fernando Valley in California. Born in Van Nuys and grew up in Reseda. The Lakers are the first pro team I ever followed and Norm Nixon was my favorite player when I was a kid in Los Angeles.

Moved to "The Valley of the Sun" - specifically South Scottsdale - when the state only had one pro team and I adopted the Cardinals, Coyotes, and Diamondbacks as they moved here.

After graduating high school in Scottsdale moved to Tempe for a couple of years before finally settling in Mesa. Been in Mesa for nearly 30 years now.
Yeah I've lived in Moreno Valley (and La Habra before that) for more than 35 years now but my sports loyalty still lies with where I was born and raised.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Referees must have been watching too many World Cup games.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ha. Not going to happen.

Interesting. So you have been in the cross section of multiple sports moves. If my math is right, you must have moved to AZ prior to 1988, which puts you in CA during the 1st version of the LA Rams, is that right? If so, how did you avoid becoming an LA rams fan?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. So you have been in the cross section of multiple sports moves. If my math is right, you must have moved to AZ prior to 1988, which puts you in CA during the 1st version of the LA Rams, is that right? If so, how did you avoid becoming an LA rams fan?
Was more into college football growing up and only followed some NFL players and not any teams. Casual NFL fan.

Would always pull for the Rams over Niners just because I was SoCal and rooted against any NorCal teams. Moved to AZ and went to ASU games with my uncle. Wrangler games, too. Rose Bowl in 87.

First NFL game I ever attended was the Broncos vs the Packers preseason game the year before the Cards moved here. Met Bart Starr in the loge section. He had been trying to bring an expansion team here. Actually being at an NFL game got me hooked on it. Became a Cards fan and have been to all of their home games since they moved here except two preseason games at SDS due to deaths in the family. We also went to the Super Bowl in Tampa and the Leinart vs Young game the following season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nate has a PG who plays defense now in Murray. I knew that pairing wouldn't work longterm. Atlanta should shop Trae. They should get a lot for him. I'd rather the Suns stayed out of it unless they'd want the corpse of CP3 to go with picks. I wouldn't give up any core players. Atlanta is likely to get a better package elsewhere anyways so kind of a moot point.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Ppl trying to figure out if this is real but apparently it’s hard to fake because the balls seems to naturally keeping rolling after they go in.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anthony Davis has gone supernova.

How long does this last before his leg falls off?

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ppl trying to figure out if this is real but apparently it’s hard to fake because the balls seems to naturally keeping rolling after they go in.
GSW came out and said it was edited.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some time before the draft the name Andrew Nembhard from Gonzaga came up and I said I always liked him. Dude just destroyed the Warriors tonight, with Haliburton out, he put up 31 13 assists and 8 boards and just owned the 4th quarter. He also held Curry to 12 on 3-17 although that was a team thing they just face guarded Steph most of the game.

I saw him in college at Kentucky and his athletic ability was remarkable but man is Isiah Jackson a freak. He had a couple of dunks off lobs from Nembhard tonight that were unreal. When you see NBA players shaking their heads in disbelief you know it's freakish. Pacers have a chance to be really good and pretty soon, they're very much like Memphis a bunch of long athletes and they have guys who make 3's.

Since the Steph video was fake, real stat that's pretty amazing. Steph leads the NBA in 4th quarter scoring, and is only 90th in minutes played in the 4th quarter!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does Jordan Clarkson get fined $15,000 for throwing his headband into empty seats?

If anything, it should have been a souvenir.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was coming here to post this. What a crazy story.

I think Young is the most overrated player in the NBA.
I disagree. He is extremely talented offensively, but is not motivated to play defense and is overall selfish.

He is really a poor man's Luka.

I always find it interesting how some players who are selfish non team players are idolized like Iverson and Luka, and others are constantly attacked like Trey. I guess a lot of it just comes down to likability and style points.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree. He is extremely talented offensively, but is not motivated to play defense and is overall selfish.

He is really a poor man's Luka.

I always find it interesting how some players who are selfish non team players are idolized like Iverson and Luka, and others are constantly attacked like Trey. I guess a lot of it just comes down to likability and style points.

I don’t care what kind of personality he has my opinion is strictly based on basketball.

He is talented but he’s very wreckless and sloppy. He’s just as likely to throw the ball into the second row as he is to make a spectacular basket. I don’t consider him a leader or mature. He had problems with his last coach and now him and McMillian are clashing from what reports are saying.

Defense is a whole other story. He makes zero effort and I do mean zero. It’s like he can’t be bothered by defense. He hasn’t even tried to get better during his time in the league.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I swear this guy has the most uneventful injuries I have ever seen. No word yet.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good news for a change. No injury. Just a guy trying to play through flu-like symptoms.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the NBA do Covid testing if a player has flu-like symptoms? Hearing that AD had these symptoms yesterday and was trying to play through it.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joey Chestnut ate 47 pierogis in 5 minutes and outdid several others (who ate a total of 33) that were competing against him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose