Suns @ Timberwolves Wednesday game thread 11-9-2022

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did ayton play tonight?

Suns noticeably quicker all around with Payne tonight. He played with a lot confidence, was free flowing and confident.

Book breaking out the long range connections of the move, wow.

Bridges was too quick for the sloths of Gobert, Towns and Slow Mo.

Edwards looks frustrated, surprised they didn’t give him a tech all game long. Plenty of travels by Towns but no calls. Confusing as usual.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did ayton play tonight?

Suns noticeably quicker all around with Payne tonight. He played with a lot confidence, was free flowing and confident.

Book breaking out the long range connections of the move, wow.

Bridges was too quick for the sloths of Gobert, Towns and Slow Mo.

Edwards looks frustrated, surprised they didn’t give him a tech all game long. Plenty of travels by Towns but no calls. Confusing as usual.

Ayton played 33 minutes tonight, but I don't think he scored in the 2nd half. It was almost like he was invisible during that period.

He only had 9 points, 6 rebounds and 2 assists for the game.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ayton played 33 minutes tonight, but I don't think he scored in the 2nd half. It was almost like he was invisible during that period.

He only had 9 points, 6 rebounds and 2 assists for the game.
I saw a quote where he said he’s going to keep playing physical like it’s playoff basketball…I don’t hate the mentality but he’s oftentimes not in rhythm because of getting subbed out/missing games recently.

I wonder where his mentals are right now…I know it’s early and the season but he has to be 2021 DA in the playoffs and some if we’re gonna get where we want to go.

I hope Bridges keeps up his aggressiveness. Gosh, if he could take that next step offensively and not get passive this team has something.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm remembering the same play, I think Devin Booker got a technical foul for this comment.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a quote where he said he’s going to keep playing physical like it’s playoff basketball…I don’t hate the mentality but he’s oftentimes not in rhythm because of getting subbed out/missing games recently.

I wonder where his mentals are right now…I know it’s early and the season but he has to be 2021 DA in the playoffs and some if we’re gonna get where we want to go.

I hope Bridges keeps up his aggressiveness. Gosh, if he could take that next step offensively and not get passive this team has something.

I didn't think Ayton's body language was good for much of his playing time in the 2nd half.

I'm not sure what triggered it, but he seemed to be just going through the motions.

Sometimes I wonder if he takes constructive criticism well, although it's not based on anything I saw or heard.

Yeah, I'd like to bottle how Bridges played tonight.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Fantastic bridges game. He was everywhere.

Payne played big. He was a pest, played in control. Seemed confident.

Landale is going exhibiting what I consider to be expected regression. He’s not as good as he showed early in the season. He’s an absolutely dreadful shooter.

One of Ayton’s worst games. Crappy effort. Had two JUMPSHOTS blocked. Played no defense. Everyone who attempted a shot against him scored. And this was on a night where our defense was nails. Rudy Gobert clowned him on both ends and repeatedly beat Ayton down the court. Flat out embarrassing. Makes me wonder if he’s purposefully tanking as revenge for not getting the 5 year max. Not kidding.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Landale is going exhibiting what I consider to be expected regression. He’s not as good as he showed early in the season. He’s an absolutely dreadful shooter.

One of Ayton’s worst games. Crappy effort. Had two JUMPSHOTS blocked. Played no defense. Everyone who attempted a shot against him scored. And this was on a night where our defense was nails. Rudy Gobert clowned him on both ends and repeatedly beat Ayton down the court. Flat out embarrassing. Makes me wonder if he’s purposefully tanking as revenge for not getting the 5 year max. Not kidding.
Oh if he keeps this crap up he will be shipped out! Man I just wish he would buy in and play with some force and be a young core of Book, DA, CAM, Bridges that’s a solid 4 and if we could find a young PGOF we could be good for along time…

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I'm remembering the same play, I think Devin Booker got a technical foul for this comment.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I know I keep saying it, but what a mess that team is. If you're trying to make a "big 3" Edwards, Towns and Gobert are about as ill fitting as possible.

A team with no playmaker, terrible spacing, a clogged lane and, other than Gobert's rim protection, horrendous defending.

They're, at best, a play in team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I keep saying it, but what a mess that team is. If you're trying to make a "big 3" Edwards, Towns and Gobert are about as ill fitting as possible.

A team with no playmaker, terrible spacing, a clogged lane and, other than Gobert's rim protection, horrendous defending.

They're, at best, a play in team.

The Wolves would have been better off investing all those assets elsewhere.

What a waste of Anthony Edwards.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm fine with Landale, although his stats may not be as good as we had hoped. At least he will always give the effort.

He is a better shooter than we have seen of late. Although he is 27, he is still a work in progress. He has had to work for everything he gets, so I expect him to continue to work on his deficiencies.

In regard to Ayton, it's almost like Monty tried to make a point when he left him in the game in the second half when he wasn't producing. He stuck out like a sore thumb.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it’s very clear Ayton doesn’t want to be here.

Fans always blame the player, but James Jones has just seemed to mishandle every single damn thing since his first year.

You’ve done everything possible to tell Ayton he isn’t valued. You’ve put his name out in trade rumors, you played with his contract

The Cam Johnson situation is a perfect example of why players don’t like to go into there last year. You think Cam Johnson is happy with the Suns right now?

How many times have you seen an important role player on a good team just walk away and sit out? Maybe it’s me but I don’t ever really remember it happening.

To me this is looking more and more like we lucked into a finals run and the people in charge have no clue how to maintain success.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it’s very clear Ayton doesn’t want to be here.

Fans always blame the player, but James Jones has just seemed to mishandle every single damn thing since his first year.

You’ve done everything possible to tell Ayton he isn’t valued. You’ve put his name out in trade rumors, you played with his contract

The Cam Johnson situation is a perfect example of why players don’t like to go into there last year. You think Cam Johnson is happy with the Suns right now?

How many times have you seen an important role player on a good team just walk away and sit out? Maybe it’s me but I don’t ever really remember it happening.

To me this is looking more and more like we lucked into a finals run and the people in charge have no clue how to maintain success.

The Suns went to the second round last season and the Finals the previous season so I don't think that's luck.

In regard to Ayton, I don't think he would be here if the Suns found a trade to their liking. Actually, the Suns are looking like they made good financial decisions in not extending Ayton and Cam Johnson.

Maybe James Jones is making a good decision by not extending Crowder as well.

All that said, the Suns may not be as frugal if they get an owner willing to spend.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns went to the second round last season and the Finals the previous season so I don't think that's luck.

In regard to Ayton, I don't think he would be here if the Suns found a trade to their liking. Actually, the Suns are looking like they made good financial decisions in not extending Ayton and Cam Johnson.

Maybe James Jones is making a good decision by not extending Crowder as well.

All that said, the Suns may not be a frugal if they get an owner willing to spend.

Going to the second round last year is not something to hang your hat on the season ended in absolute disaster and to even try and spin it any other way is just fanboy stuff.

As far as finding a good trade. Plenty of people went over the rules of sign and trades in todays NBA. We made it damn near impossible to deal him. I think we could only take back 19 million and he couldn’t be combined with any other players in a deal. Again that’s the front office mishandling the situation.

They should have moved him for Sabonis when they had the chance

You never know if someone is going to get injured and if them being injured makes you look like you made the right choice something is very wrong. That’s a lose lose

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to the second round last year is not something to hang your hat on the season ended in absolute disaster and to even try and spin it any other way is just fanboy stuff.

As far as finding a good trade. Plenty of people went over the rules of sign and trades in todays NBA. We made it damn near impossible to deal him. I think we could only take back 19 million and he couldn’t be combined with any other players in a deal. Again that’s the front office mishandling the situation.

They should have moved him for Sabonis when they had the chance

You never know if someone is going to get injured and if them being injured makes you look like you made the right choice something is very wrong. That’s a lose lose

Yeah, the Suns were shopping Ayton when Sabonis was on the market. I'm not sure if Sabonis would have been fair value, so perhaps that's why they didn't make the trade.

When you look at where the Suns were before James Jones became the GM and now, making the Finals and the second round of the playoffs is a dramatic improvement over previous seasons. I don't think that is fanboy stuff.

Sometimes one has to take a step back to appreciate the improvement.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
This is why Ayton didn't deserve the money. But you have to pay an enigma like this what he is making.

We need him until we get someone better suited for this team. Collins, KD, someone.

If we keep him, we will never win unless Booker and DA figure out how to be the best versions of themselves at the same time. Picking, rolling, and dominating the gravity of the defense with 3 above average 3-pt shooters around them. CP3 doesn't fit if he can't be at 40% from the arc. He needs to figure that part out at this point of his career.

That's the only way this works long term.

Fortunately they have the time (right now) to figure this thing out before the trading deadline and the season add more pressure.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, the Suns were shopping Ayton when Sabonis was on the market. I'm not sure if Sabonis would have been fair value, so perhaps that's why they didn't make the trade.

When you look at where the Suns were before James Jones became the GM and now, making the Finals and the second round of the playoffs is a dramatic improvement over previous seasons. I don't think that is fanboy stuff.

Sometimes one has to take a step back to appreciate the improvement.

Chris Paul wanting to play with Booker is what turned this team around. Jones didn’t draft Booker, Ayton or Bridges.

Listen if you think we’re headed in the right direction we’re just gonna have to agree to disagree

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr