Response on the 2023 Draft

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I WANT them to sign Allen, but I just think they probably let him walk unfortunately.

If the apparent plan on the OL works, the OL gets cheaper and more money can be spent on the D.

I'm very confident they sign Allen. He seems happy here. The Cards love him and always have. Both sides want it to happen.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Recency bias much? I don't expect anything different from you pal. You just try to erase a decade worth of embarrassing draft picks with comical statements like this. Carry on with your agenda. Keim has been the worst drafting GM for much of his time. It doesn't matter to you.

The whole league is recency bias.

Someone posted a link about the Seahawks draft being a home run this year. That's Schneiders 2nd good draft ever. He had a good 2011 draft and a good 2022 draft and people still talk about him as a top 10 GM. The dude has had some AFWUL drafts.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My gut feeling is they make a play for Bijan Robinson. I think the age of the top 10 RB is gone and he should be around when we pick.

I think after a poor Kyler season (I don't see him turning it around significantly) they are going to be real antsy about getting more out of the offense. I considered WR here, especially Quentin Johnston because he reminds me of CeeDee and Kyler likes his big receivers. It seems dumb with so much already in that room cap wise but it's the Cards so anything is possible.

Running back seems an obvious choice though. Our run game is weak and Kliff and others have spoken a number of times about how Kyler needs a good run game to get in rhythm. Conner has an out in his deal after next season but Bijan and Conner are very different backs and would compliment each other for a season.

But I don't see defense after some defense heavy drafts unless one of the primo defenders falls. I don't see OL. They feel set at tackle and has a tonne of IOL guys. The WR room is already pretty busy.

Running back seems like the obvious draw. The draft isn't going to be about what is best for the team. It's going to be about what is best for their $250m investment in Kyler.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would prefer DT at 1 and CB's after that. Many of the R2-3 CBs turn out better or just as good as the R1 cbs. But a real stud DT is more a R1 acquisition in my opinion. There are supposedly 3 studs at DT in this draft that they are projecting to be gone by the mid-R1. We might be able to snag the #3 one if not the #2 one depending of course where we draft.
I'll buy that.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My gut feeling is they make a play for Bijan Robinson. I think the age of the top 10 RB is gone and he should be around when we pick.

I think after a poor Kyler season (I don't see him turning it around significantly) they are going to be real antsy about getting more out of the offense. I considered WR here, especially Quentin Johnston because he reminds me of CeeDee and Kyler likes his big receivers. It seems dumb with so much already in that room cap wise but it's the Cards so anything is possible.

Running back seems an obvious choice though. Our run game is weak and Kliff and others have spoken a number of times about how Kyler needs a good run game to get in rhythm. Conner has an out in his deal after next season but Bijan and Conner are very different backs and would compliment each other for a season.

But I don't see defense after some defense heavy drafts unless one of the primo defenders falls. I don't see OL. They feel set at tackle and has a tonne of IOL guys. The WR room is already pretty busy.

Running back seems like the obvious draw. The draft isn't going to be about what is best for the team. It's going to be about what is best for their $250m investment in Kyler.
Agreed, I think I believe the Cardinals might do the same thing.

While I would probably go DL, the Cardinals probably think to go WR AGAIN next draft. The reasoning is that Hopkins is getting older, so the Cardinals will look to bring in his replacement a year early. Resign Brown, cut Hopkins after next season.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d be inclined to stick with a BPA (Regardless of Position) approach from Top to Bottom..

I think we’ve accumulated enough talented young depth to do so.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed, I think I believe the Cardinals might do the same thing.

While I would probably go DL, the Cardinals probably think to go WR AGAIN next draft. The reasoning is that Hopkins is getting older, so the Cardinals will look to bring in his replacement a year early. Resign Brown, cut Hopkins after next season.

This is another option. Kyler NEEDS it seems a tall, sure handed receiver he can trust in 1 on 1 situations and we don't have that outside of Nuk (I think Green was brought in to offer the same on the other side).

So I think WR is still an option. But also I don't think they cut Nuk. I can see Nuk playing at a high level for some time yet. He's never been a burner and his skill set translates well into age. I think he has at least 3 good years left. Keim will just keep restructuring him and kicking the can down the road.

But find it hard to see past those option unless were picking top 10. Jalen Carter is the only elite DT worth a top 20 pick.

EDGE is possible with Golden looking cooked I suppose because it's easier to get good RB in round 2 over good Edge.

Last edited:

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The whole league is recency bias.

Someone posted a link about the Seahawks draft being a home run this year. That's Schneiders 2nd good draft ever. He had a good 2011 draft and a good 2022 draft and people still talk about him as a top 10 GM. The dude has had some AFWUL drafts.
By this logic, if Keim continues to win like 2013,2014,,2015, why would we care about Keim's drafts? Schneider team kept winning regular season for a decade.

Only small group at ASFN and Bidwill support him. At times, I wonder if some of the supporters are Cardinals employees posting here on behalf of Cardinals organization.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There are several moving parts tat have to settle when figuring out the draft.

1 - HC

2 - DC

3 - OG - Can't see us retaining both Ford and Hernandez when we have Hayes. Would be another waste of a pick. Also cost will be prohibitive.

4 - C - Not sure if they are prepared to roll with Smith as the C. So inexperienced.

5 - WR - Hopkins cap hit is huge. Brown will be looking for an ext. We need another large WR.

6 - DL - Zach Allen and JJ Watt. Ideally I think you try to bring both back. Allen should have be extended as soon as he presented healthy. I also think Cam Thomas is transitioning to DE.

7 - EDGE - People will cite we used two third round picks and a late round pick. Nothing that Luketa, Thomas, Dimukeje, or Thomas has shown should prevent you from grabbing an EDGE player.

8 - CB - Murphy is a FA and will be getting a ton as a FA. That said, drafting a CB to go with Murphy, Hamilton, and Wilson is not a bad idea.

9 - RB - We need better production from this position.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
By this logic, if Keim continues to win like 2013,2014,,2015, why would we care about Keim's drafts? Schneider team kept winning regular season for a decade.

Only small group at ASFN and Bidwill support him. At times, I wonder if some of the supporters are Cardinals employees posting here on behalf of Cardinals organization.

Not because of Schnieder. They won because they had a good QB, a good HC and a good scheme.

He's the same GM he was when you thought he was good. You just though he was good because we won. And we didn't win because he assembled great rosters. Go look at the 2015 roster and tell me what's great about it.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
my priorities for round 1 and 2:

best front 4 positions on D ( the two DEs or two Edge positions)
offensive line
Corner

what i think Keim will do:

talk priorities like above
take Bijan Robinson at #20 or so

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Jalen Carter would be a nice addition for the DL.

Will Anderson would be an awesome EDGE pick.

Gervon and Bryan Breese are both Soph so who knows if they will declare. Both would be nice options as well.

Foskey looks the part as well but I don't feel like I have landed on him yet.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I actually don't expect much in regards to the OL except maybe at C but I don't see a rookie in the draft that is a plug and play.

We drafted Hayes and Smith and both look like they hang around on a depth chart at least. We have Jones and I doubt they draft a RT before giving him a post Beachum shot at it. Hernandez/Ford were both acquired and I am sure the team will retain at least one of them.

If anything, I feel like the Cardinals will draft a mid to late round OT.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

And sometimes I wonder if some of the posters here are LA, SF or SE 'bots'.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
There are several moving parts tat have to settle when figuring out the draft.

1 - HC

2 - DC
Agreed, but I think Kliff will have to have a monumental let down to get fired.
3 - OG - Can't see us retaining both Ford and Hernandez when we have Hayes. Would be another waste of a pick. Also cost will be prohibitive.
Agreed. I think the Cardinals keep Ford and try Hayes at LG. I'd wager they bring in a low cost veteran to compete with him.
4 - C - Not sure if they are prepared to roll with Smith as the C. So inexperienced.
Probably do the same with center. Smith and cheap veteran.
5 - WR - Hopkins cap hit is huge. Brown will be looking for an ext. We need another large WR.
This is why I think the Cardinals target a big WR in round one or two. I think they would like to roll with Hopkins, Brown, Moore, and big fourth receiver and the way Kliff runs his offense, a WR is a premium position.
6 - DL - Zach Allen and JJ Watt. Ideally I think you try to bring both back. Allen should have be extended as soon as he presented healthy. I also think Cam Thomas is transitioning to DE.
I don't think JJ Watt comes back at all. Resigning Allen is priority #1 and the Cardinals might have to consider franchising him. Cam Thomas can be the Robin to Allen.
7 - EDGE - People will cite we used two third round picks and a late round pick. Nothing that Luketa, Thomas, Dimukeje, or Thomas has shown should prevent you from grabbing an EDGE player.
Agree.
8 - CB - Murphy is a FA and will be getting a ton as a FA. That said, drafting a CB to go with Murphy, Hamilton, and Wilson is not a bad idea.
I think Murphy is more of a longshot to return. Wilson is playing better, they can resign Hamiliton, and then draft another guy or bring in a veteran journeyman.
9 - RB - We need better production from this position.
Midround guy to fill out the room.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Keim has done better recently, but the team is still feeling the effects of bad drafts in the recent past. 2019 looks to be a really good draft for the Cardinals with Murray, Murphy, and Allen. That's a good one.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Is Ford so expensive to prevent them from rolling with Ford, Hernandez and Hayes - and see who wins between Ford and Hayes? With all the injuries at that position, it couldn't hurt to have the depth. They probably regret putting Hayes on season ending IR.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose