NBA Free Agency and Trades 2022

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Xin Varlock is a troll. There haven’t been any whispers from anyone credible regarding SGA wanting out. However it makes sense that the Suns would be interested if OKC was ready to move in. Maybe Presti is jealous of Ainge passing him for draft pick capital…

Yeah, the rumor OKC might part with Shai is an old rumor and only a rumor.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can only say all of the above if you didn’t watch any Lakers games last year. I did out of morbid curiosity when they were healthy and were banged up and the only consistent thing was how atrocious Westbrook was.

I only saw a couple of games very early in the season. Russ' splits are interesting because he was clearly used differently throughout the year. It seems everything came to a head before the trade deadline in February, when Russ was being shopped heavily and it was clear that the Big 3 of LBJ, AD, and Russ wasn't working. That's when the media started blaming Russ big time and Vogel also started experimenting to save his job. Just look at Russ' stats mid year...

You must be registered for see images attach

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Russ gets over blamed for the Laker’s failure but it’s a shooter’s league and he’s a guard that can’t shoot. Also, his average bbiq and blatant stat-hunting makes nobody want to play with him which is why it’s so laughable they wanted him. Everyone is to blame for that mess.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ gets over blamed for the Laker’s failure but it’s a shooter’s league and he’s a guard that can’t shoot. Also, his average bbiq and blatant stat-hunting makes nobody want to play with him which is why it’s so laughable they wanted him. Everyone is to blame for that mess.
Oh, he’s definitely not to blame for the Lakers ludicrously awful season. That roster construction was beyond putrid. But he was WOEFUL in his own right, no doubt about it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Xin Varlock is a troll. There haven’t been any whispers from anyone credible regarding SGA wanting out. However it makes sense that the Suns would be interested if OKC was ready to move in. Maybe Presti is jealous of Ainge passing him for draft pick capital…

Simmons and Lowe have been talking about SGA being on the move for awhile.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm surprised so many Suns fans have bought into how the media and the Lakers have made Westbrook the Lakers scapegoat. He's literally 1 season removed from averaging a triple double for the 4th time in his career. He hadnt shot so few attempts since his 2nd year in the league and had his lowest scoring average since then as well. He still shot better than he did he in his first 2 years in the league and also averaged 7 boards and 7 assists a game to go with his 18 points.

Russ wasn't to blame for the absolutely awful roster the Lakers assembled. Who did they have other than LeBron, Davis, and THT? A bunch of has-beens. LeBron played in just 56 games and Davis 40 games. The only other player who started in over 40 games was Avery Bradley, who started 45 and played in 62 games. I really don't see how Russ is to blame when there was no roster continuity night to night.

Lebron ALWAYS needs a scapegoat it’s what he does.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lebron ALWAYS needs a scapegoat it’s what he does.
LeBron deserves a hefty amount of blame because he forced this trade upon the Lakers. GM LeBron is his worst position.

But Russ's play was it's own brand of nightmare.

Look at the O rating and D rating in hoop head's post. Even in games they won, Russ's individual impact was deep in the negative.

A usage rate through the roof, with bad shooting, bad passing and terrible defense. He rebounds well for a guard but that is part of the problem too, he parks near the basket hunting his rebounding stats and kills the transition game.

He's one of the most selfish players in modern basketball... it worked when he was so athletically dominant that he could carry teams by force of will, but he isn't that guy anymore. His numbers have declined for 5 seasons straight.

His peak usage rate came 6 years ago at 42.5, which might be an all time record in ball-hoggery, but when you've got elite efficiency of 30.7 you can brush it off as carrying the team. Last year he had a still extremely high usage of 27.7... and an efficiency rating in the Cam Payne vicinity... and really, you take away his stat padding rebounds and he was far worse than Cam Payne.

His demise is not exaggerated. If anything I think people were failing to notice how far he had already fallen.

If he were to alter his game for the good of a team... stop hunting boards and become a transition player, leaking out early and what speed he has left to attack quickly in transition to setup his own shots around the rim and give him opportunities to show off his passing... he'd probably still be a positive player, but he's given no sign that he is humble enough to change his game.

Also... trying in anyway whatsoever on defense would be a plus.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out this trade.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blake Griffin agrees to 1 year guaranteed deal with the Celtics.

That's another option off the table.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I just felt Russ needs the ball in his hands each time down the floor. LeBron need the ball in his hands each time down the floor. When Russ was coming off the bench, I could see where he would be a benefit where the Lakers would not lose scoring punch when LeBron goes out. That's just a lot of money for a guy running your second unit. Plus in crunch time at the end of the games, how do they play together?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just felt Russ needs the ball in his hands each time down the floor. LeBron need the ball in his hands each time down the floor. When Russ was coming off the bench, I could see where he would be a benefit where the Lakers would not lose scoring punch when LeBron goes out. That's just a lot of money for a guy running your second unit. Plus in crunch time at the end of the games, how do they play together?
Russ is flat out terrible whether he has the ball or not.

No decent NBA team should want him on the roster period. I would be legit pissed if the Suns signed him to a 2 way contract, that's how bad I think he is.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I keep seeing these mock trade of Westbrook for Buddy Hield and Myles Turner.. Would that be something the Suns should try to go after..

Haha the laker fanboys and media are pushing that. Pacers still haven't accepted it, and thats with Lakers reportedly including both future firsts.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’d trade Saric, Crowder, Shamet, Craig and 2 1sts for Heild and Turner.

Bringing a second unit revolving around Payne, Heild and Turner would be solid.
Right!! Man I would be on this if they are shopping those 2.. I would do this over Durant honestly..

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Any combo even swapping out Payne and I do that in a heartbeat.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I haven't researched it but I like the outside the box thinking. The Pacers would likely need a third team to take on some contracts.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing these mock trade of Westbrook for Buddy Hield and Myles Turner.. Would that be something the Suns should try to go after..

Hmm. Ayton insurance right on the roster.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't researched it but I like the outside the box thinking. The Pacers would likely need a third team to take on some contracts.
I think it would take Crowder, Shamet, Craig, Saric and Payne just to make the money work both ways. I don't know if even 3 picks and 3 swaps would get them to make that deal plus it would leave us without a backup PG.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the sake of discussion, the hypothetical trade with the Pacers would need to include Cam Payne to make the trade work.

I put it in the ESPN trade machine. See link below.

However, what is different from the Lakers trade, the players included in the Suns trade should have a positive or mostly neutral value.

I would think Westbrook's value is only for a buyout.

The Pacers should be able to flip at least 2-3 Suns players to other teams for additional assets, so I think two first round picks would do it.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2fwgu4lo

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose