2022-23 Around the NBA Thread

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Magic waive Joel Ayayi. I thought he was a nice combo guard prospect coming out of Gonzaga.

He had a monster year in his 2nd season, running for just under 1300 yards and 8 TDs. Really fell off after that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He had a monster year in his 2nd season, running for just under 1300 yards and 8 TDs. Really fell off after that.

I guess you mean it as a joke.

I'm talking about Joel Ayayi who was waived by the Magic just before training camp.

These were his college stats. He played for Gonzaga.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Kinda crazy that by the end of his contract Fultz will have made $90 million bucks.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mavericks plan to start JaVale McGee according to this tweet.

That would be another reason for him signing elsewhere.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA teams might be in trouble. Look at Zion.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NBA teams might be in trouble. Look at Zion.

He was in great shape in college and he still was too heavy for his joints. Until I hear that he is under 240... which is about 70 pounds under his last reported weight, I will view him as an injury in waiting.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mavericks plan to start JaVale McGee according to this tweet.

That would be another reason for him signing elsewhere.

I like Javale but the last 2 years have proven that game planning renders him useless when it matters. Denver couldn't use him against us, we couldn't use him against Dallas and if Dallas makes the playoffs I suspect he will be equally as useless again. He just can't defend against teams that force him to the perimeter. I like the guy, he's a great rim runner and rim defender but against teams who can spread the court he is a liability.

As for Wood... the dude is 27 and has only finally become a rotation player the last few years... and only on the worst rosters in the NBA. Another gamble.

I don't know what Dallas is going for here. Their ability to play small was their biggest strength... they've thrown that strength away for a roster that will basically force them to give heavy minutes to a couple backup centers... and backup centers that these same Mavs have spent the last few years exploiting.

Very odd.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Javale but the last 2 years have proven that game planning renders him useless when it matters. Denver couldn't use him against us, we couldn't use him against Dallas and if Dallas makes the playoffs I suspect he will be equally as useless again. He just can't defend against teams that force him to the perimeter. I like the guy, he's a great rim runner and rim defender but against teams who can spread the court he is a liability.

As for Wood... the dude is 27 and has only finally become a rotation player the last few years... and only on the worst rosters in the NBA. Another gamble.

I don't know what Dallas is going for here. Their ability to play small was their biggest strength... they've thrown that strength away for a roster that will basically force them to give heavy minutes to a couple backup centers... and backup centers that these same Mavs have spent the last few years exploiting.

Very odd.

What concerns me about the Mavericks signing McGee is they game planned so well against.

It makes me wonder if they think they can game plan even better using him.

IMO, the Suns coaches failure to adjust defensively was their biggest downfall in games 6 and 7 along with their failure to hit open 3-pointers.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was in great shape in college and he still was too heavy for his joints. Until I hear that he is under 240... which is about 70 pounds under his last reported weight, I will view him as an injury in waiting.

We shall see. If Zion can stay healthy, the Pelicans will be a lot better than last season.

They were an excellent team after adding CJ McCollum and Larry Nance Jr.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Zion can stay relatively healthy then the Pelicans could be this years Grizzlies, going from the play in to a contender in short order.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Zion can stay relatively healthy then the Pelicans could be this years Grizzlies, going from the play in to a contender in short order.
I think their record and play-in spot last season was misleading. Minus key players they started off 1-12 and made some solid additions at midseason. And they closed the season 12-6 as injured players returned to form. Without Zion they won't be quite at Memphis level but even still I would expect them to finish in the top 6 this season.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Who doesn't make it this year?

You must be registered for see images attach

Out: Rockets, Thunder, Blazers, Kings, Spurs and Jazz.

That's 9 teams that could make the playoffs. Lady luck may have to rear her ugly head more this year than any other in the form of injuries or suspensions.

Suns and Grizz virutally the same team coming back.
Nuggets, Pelicans, Clippers and Lakers have notable players coming back from injury.
Warriors lose depth but not their stars, age won't affect them much.
Mavs and Timberwolves made lateral moves imo.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think their record and play-in spot last season was misleading. Minus key players they started off 1-12 and made some solid additions at midseason. And they closed the season 12-6 as injured players returned to form. Without Zion they won't be quite at Memphis level but even still I would expect them to finish in the top 6 this season.

They started 3-18, I believe. I've discussed their misleading record before. They were better than their record. I think they're a middle tier team already but with Zion they're a contender. Ingram has taken a leap forward, Jonas V is solid, and McCollum is more than he was in Portland. They have good pieces around them and solid coach in Willie Green also.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who doesn't make it this year?

You must be registered for see images attach

Out: Rockets, Thunder, Blazers, Kings, Spurs and Jazz.

That's 9 teams that could make the playoffs. Lady luck may have to rear her ugly head more this year than any other in the form of injuries or suspensions.

Suns and Grizz virutally the same team coming back.
Nuggets, Pelicans, Clippers and Lakers have notable players coming back from injury.
Warriors lose depth but not their stars, age won't affect them much.
Mavs and Timberwolves made lateral moves imo.

I think the Clippers take the Jazz spot and the Lakers are on the outside looking in again. The order of teams will be quite different though. I don't know who takes the top spot. I like Memphis a lot but wouldn't bet money on them having the best record.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Clippers take the Jazz spot and the Lakers are on the outside looking in again. The order of teams will be quite different though. I don't know who takes the top spot. I like Memphis a lot but wouldn't bet money on them having the best record.

1. Grizz
2. Warriors
3. Clippers
4. Suns
5. Pelicans
6. Timberwolves
7. Mavs
8. Nuggets

I think Gobert puts them over the top of the Mavs and Nuggets.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Grizz
2. Warriors
3. Clippers
4. Suns
5. Pelicans
6. Timberwolves
7. Mavs
8. Nuggets

Minnesota could move up but I can also see them falling out as well if teams just run them off the floor. A twin towers pairing of KAT and Gobert is so odd that I can see it working out well or failing spectacularly. Nothing will surprise me. I think Gobert clogs the inside too much for Ant though and that will be their undoing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Grizz
2. Warriors
3. Clippers
4. Suns
5. Pelicans
6. Timberwolves
7. Mavs
8. Nuggets

1. Grizzlies
2. TWolves
3. Clippers
4. Pelicans
5. Nuggets
6. Lakers
7. Mavericks
8. Suns
9. Warriors
10. Blazers/Spurs/Kings 3 way tie

I had no idea so I took a quick trip to June 2023 and this is what I learned. Feel to free to bet your house and everything else on it, I can't see it being wrong unless I just dreamed that timeline shift.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
1. Grizzlies
2. TWolves
3. Clippers
4. Pelicans
5. Nuggets
6. Lakers
7. Mavericks
8. Suns
9. Warriors

I had no idea so I took a quick trip to June 2023 and this is what I learned. Feel to free to bet your house and everything else on it, I can't see it being wrong unless I just dreamed that timeline shift.
Suns as a PLAY-IN team?!? Wow.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Grizzlies
2. TWolves
3. Clippers
4. Pelicans
5. Nuggets
6. Lakers
7. Mavericks
8. Suns
9. Warriors

I doubt they are this low. Despite me thinking they don't have enough to win a title (they don't IMO), they are still deep enough to secure a top seed in the playoffs. Plus, I am convinced that if the team looks like they are struggling come the deadline they will make a move. I am also not counting what we get back in the Jae trade.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns as a PLAY-IN team?!? Wow.
Yeah I think we get hot late in the season.

Seriously though, I really have no expectations for this season. On paper we really shouldn't be much different than last season but I don't know if we can count on as many late game saves by CP3. Without those heroics we'd probably have been a 50 to 55 win team - and we'll be facing a lot of improved teams this season.

Unless Bridges, Ayton and CamJ all take major steps forward and Payne or someone else better fills that backup PG slot, we're not likely to distinguish ourselves from the middle of the pack teams.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Grizzlies
2. TWolves
3. Clippers
4. Pelicans
5. Nuggets
6. Lakers
7. Mavericks
8. Suns
9. Warriors

Warriors… 9th? Steve, whatever you’re smoking, DON’T pass it this way. I think we’re the 5 or 6 seed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose