Robert Sarver is in Big Trouble (ANNOUNCES SALE PROCESS)

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'd like to see Devin go public, with both the good and the bad. Acknowledge his own personal feelings about the man including support for him if he feels it's justified but most importantly he needs to stand up for the employees that have been mistreated for years.
indeed, there's a way to navigate this.

just put out something like "i've always had a good experience in my dealings with Robert Sarver but I acknowledge the findings of the NBA's investigation and believe his behavior was unacceptable"

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If a multi-billionaire bought the Suns at a sizeable profit I can see Sarver leaving.

I think it would be hard for him to walk away from money knowing the uncomfortable circumstances he might face when he returns.

I'm not so sure about that. Ryan Smith, who purchased the Jazz last year, reportedly tried to purchase the Suns a few years ago and while there was some interest to sell, it didn't happen. He ended up buying the Jazz for $1.6 billion, which was about $200 million more than their valuation at the time.

Source on Smith trying to purchase the Suns.

Just think, we could have the owner who handed the keys to their franchise over to Danny Ainge to rebuild. Sarver sucks!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that. Ryan Smith, who purchased the Jazz last year, reportedly tried to purchase the Suns a few years ago and while there was some interest to sell, it didn't happen. He ended up buying the Jazz for $1.6 billion, which was about $200 million more than their valuation at the time.

Source on Smith trying to purchase the Suns.

Just think, we could have the owner who handed the keys to their franchise over to Danny Ainge to rebuild. Sarver sucks!
I just wish Jerry had stuck around. He only sold because he leveraged himself so bad in those early Diamondback years... if he had any idea the run of monumental success the Nash years were about to bring... I don't think he sells.

He certainly would not have pissed away the chance to make those Nash era teams into an absolute monster by being cheap with draft picks.

No way he dumps the pick that would have been either Igudala or Lou Deng, no way he sells Rondo... no way he lets Joe Johnson walk.

Those Nash era Suns were soooooo close, take away the penny pinching and inject Colangelo's "To hell with the bottom line!" and I think they'd have been to the mid/late 2010s what the Warriors have been the last 7 years.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Sarver isn't going to leave until he has absolutely ruined the franchise, is he? He seems like the type to go out kicking and screaming like the brat he is. This is going to ruin our chances at a lot of FAs.

All I see is Sarver saying......."This is the American Way."

"If I'm going down, I'm taking a whole lot of people with me."

Nino Brown, New Jack City

Paula Deen gets second act, finds cash savior

Paula Deen Ventures said private-equity firm Najafi Companies is investing $75 million to $100 million to help Deen make a comeback.

Deen’s fortunes took a dive last year after comments she made under oath during proceedings in a lawsuit, namely that she had used racial slurs in the past, became public.

Najafi Companies Invests in Paula Deen | Business Wire

Last edited:

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
It's going to get ugly. There is a reason Sarver felt comfortable behaving as he did for years. To me that's a whole another level of a problem. I really feel sorry for the players.

I also think the players learned of the info that was coming out in game 6 &7. Two back to back total collapses for a team that was very good had to be for a reason. I believe they learned of how bad it was and wasn't going to give Sarver a ring.

Last edited:

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Remember all the people that were doubting in the ESPN report

I can’t be sure of the overlap in their investigations but the NBA report is a pretty strong corroboration. The ESPN article was not worded to exaggerate, but encumbered by protecting sources. They could have edited further to avoid the speculation but then they would have been minimizing what they knew from interviews.

Sarver’s denial and counterattack is totally relevant. He is either ignorant of his own actions or avoids accountability. And the “not the Sarver I know” commenters—including Monty—need to address this if they haven’t already. I’m not saying they were lying or need to repent, but they made public statements of support and need to add to them.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's going to get ugly. There is a reason Sarver felt comfortable behaving as he did for years. To me that's a whole another level of a problem. I really feel sorry for the players.

I also think the players learned of the info that was coming out in game 6 &7. Two back to back total collapses for a team that was very good had to be for a reason. I believe they learned of how bad it was and wasn't going to give Sarver a ring.

I don't see players deliberately throwing in the towel like that because the team's owner is a horrible person. Paul is on the verge of retirement, he doesn't have many shots left.

If Booker did then why did he sign an extension here right away? Why hasn't anyone made any sort of trade demands? In fact KD tried to get traded here to join Booker and Paul.

Ayton also didn't ask out with any sort of "Don't match my offer sheet" talk.

Bismack re-signed here.

Monty also signed an extension as the head coach.

I don't believe the collapse had to do with news from this investigation. There's no way the players were told and nothing leaked for the last 3 months.

Last edited:

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Something internally was wrong. Just my thought but it is coincidental

And these people with these attitudes are everywhere. If I was Booker knowing what I know, no way I'm not accepting $50 mil per year when my contract can be traded. And more than likely this same attitudes is somewhere else too. Plus it's not my job to police the NBA.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

And these people with these attitudes are everywhere. If I was Booker knowing what I know, no way I'm not accepting $50 mil per year when my contract can be traded. And more than likely this same attitudes is somewhere else too. Plus it's not my job to police the NBA.
Money rules everything.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BOOM!

That’s a big domino to fall. Let’s see the other advertisers follow suit!
I wish it were worded more clearly. It sounds like they will take no action as long as Sarver doesn't return in a year when his suspension ends.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish it were worded more clearly. It sounds like they will take no action as long as Sarver doesn't return in a year when his suspension ends.
Yeah… it kinda kicks the can down the road. Should have said they’re pulling out immediately if possible.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
My guess there is that there is a binding contract that would be too hard and expensive to get out of, but they are due to renew that contract next summer. At least, that's how I took it. Maybe they have other obligations to the NBA, Footprint, etc...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess there is that there is a binding contract that would be too hard and expensive to get out of, but they are due to renew that contract next summer. At least, that's how I took it. Maybe they have other obligations to the NBA, Footprint, etc...
Probably, but they could have made that clear with something like "when our contract comes up for renewal, we will not do so if Sarver remains part of the organization". But maybe I'm nit-picking, the message should still get through to the organization and it will hopefully encourage others to do the same thing.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably, but they could have made that clear with something like "when our contract comes up for renewal, we will not do so if Sarver remains part of the organization". But maybe I'm nit-picking, the message should still get through to the organization and it will hopefully encourage others to do the same thing.
That's exactly what they said "we will not renew our sponsorship should Robert Sarver remain involved with the Suns organization, after serving his suspension."

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what they said "we will not renew our sponsorship should Robert Sarver remain involved with the Suns organization, after serving his suspension."
Yeah, but the "after" was my issue even though I realize they might not be up for renewal until after he returns. I just think a clearer message would have been better, if they are waiting because the renewal comes after his return, say that explicitly. And if they are simply giving the organization a year to do the right thing, say that instead. JMO. Regardless, I applaud them for taking a stand.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
most influential player in game, lebron
Leader of team, paul
NBAPA
Mayor of home city
Major minority owner
Most visible advertiser

It’s happening. How bad is sarver going to make it is the question.
I think the longer he waits the worse it's going to look for him but I'm not sure he respects anyone enough to listen to that warning.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I get what you're saying but due to when Booker signed his extension, he literally can not be traded for 2 more seasons because of how many years he's under contract for. No player can be traded with more than 4 years of time remaining and Booker is under contract for the next 6 seasons. He had 2 remaining on his current deal and signed a new 4 year super max deal. That means he has no leverage at all since he can't be traded until 2024 at the earliest. So his contract can't just be traded.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard