The Durant Sweepstakes

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the Nets pretty much have to move him now. Otherwise, both sides are in a situation where either the star player or the organization would have to back down... and that never really happens in these circumstances. Pretty certain he will be traded before training camp regardless if the Nets feel like it's a "fair" deal.

No matter what happens with Durant, it would be nice to unblock the log jam of trades that have been pushed to the back burner by teams waiting to see where the major players go.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
You've trashed Mikal pretty consistently over the past two years, why do you think, if Bridges is so mediocre, that he'd be the difference maker for the Nets in this deal? And whether they value Bridges as I do or whether they view him as you apparently do, I have to think they'd much prefer Brown and that deal isn't going down either.

And I'll say it again, I wouldn't trade Mikal straight up for Durant. KD's contract should be viewed as a huge negative. Wanting KD because we think he might get us a championship makes sense but using that to justify paying for him as if he were prime KD is still nonsensical IMO.
Me being hard on Mikal doesn’t mean I don’t think he has value. I think he can be the catalyst to a KD deal. I’d prefer to keep Mikal, but we’re talking about getting Kevin Durant. Losing a role player for a superstar is a no-brainer

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me being hard on Mikal doesn’t mean I don’t think he has value. I think he can be the catalyst to a KD deal. I’d prefer to keep Mikal, but we’re talking about getting Kevin Durant. Losing a role player for a superstar is a no-brainer
On the face of it, this sentence is very true in the NBA. But Bridges can be more than just a role player and there is plenty of medical evidence to suggest that Durant's days as a superstar are numbered. And that number doesn't come close to equaling the 4 years of the massive contract he's attached to. So where's the line?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve, how come you get to call other people’s takes nonsensical but get passed off when someone says the same about your opinion?
I don't think that's what I did unless the person I was talking to agrees with the setup for that statement. But yeah, if TJ agrees that Durant's contract is a huge negative AND still wants to make that trade, then I'd say that's nonsensical.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's what I did unless the person I was talking to agrees with the setup for that statement. But yeah, if TJ agrees that Durant's contract is a huge negative AND still wants to make that trade, then I'd say that's nonsensical.
Jesus. Okay Steve.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jesus. Okay Steve.
Where am I wrong on that Cheese? I'm not trying to duck anything here and yeah, I am capable of requesting better from others while still falling short on my end but I don't believe that's what's going on.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've trashed Mikal pretty consistently over the past two years, why do you think, if Bridges is so mediocre, that he'd be the difference maker for the Nets in this deal? And whether they value Bridges as I do or whether they view him as you apparently do, I have to think they'd much prefer Brown and that deal isn't going down either.

And I'll say it again, I wouldn't trade Mikal straight up for Durant. KD's contract should be viewed as a huge negative. Wanting KD because we think he might get us a championship makes sense but using that to justify paying for him as if he were prime KD is still nonsensical IMO.
I don't get the mentality of people saying trade guy X, he isn't that good. Yet the other team should value the guy more than we do to get a trade done. I have seen similar comments and it doesn't make sense.

Every team in the NBA trades Mikal straight up for Durant. No question. I mean no question you do it. Does that mean I want to lose him in a trade? No. I would do everything in my power to keep him because he is one of the best defenders in the NBA.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
look, Durant just just undercut his value in more ways than one.
first he dissed the team
now he specifically threw the GM and coach under the bus

all after him being a key contributor to the whole Nets debacle to begin with
and the injuries
and the defection to the Warriors, then away from the Warriors

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get the mentality of people saying trade guy X, he isn't that good. Yet the other team should value the guy more than we do to get a trade done. I have seen similar comments and it doesn't make sense.

Every team in the NBA trades Mikal straight up for Durant. No question. I mean no question you do it. Does that mean I want to lose him in a trade? No. I would do everything in my power to keep him because he is one of the best defenders in the NBA.
Sure they would, it they were both on one year deals. Or maybe two year deals. I know I'm in the minority on this here but I believe just about every organization in the league is looking at that contact and thinking the Nets were incredibly stupid to give him that much money for 4 years. A desperate team, a team close to winning it all might talk themselves into paying that premium to get an elite 34 year old Durant but then you also have to factor in the career impact of an Achilles repair surgery.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

In a box, yeah, several months ago I would have been interested in a Mikal for Durant trade, but not anymore. He burned his franchise to the ground, he called for his own GM to be fired and we are one of two teams he supposedly is willing to play for.

Any idea that the Nets are flooded with calls from around the league are dead. Durant has radioactive at the moment to any team who he isn't all in for.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a box, yeah, several months ago I would have been interested in a Mikal for Durant trade, but not anymore. He burned his franchise to the ground, he called for his own GM to be fired and we are one of two teams he supposedly is willing to play for.

Any idea that the Nets are flooded with calls from around the league are dead. Durant has radioactive at the moment to any team who he isn't all in for.

I thought it was understood Durant would have to demand to be traded to get out of Brooklyn. In essence, that's what he did.

Using the NBA Trade Machine, this trade would work, leaving Bridges out of the equation. Of course, numerous draft picks would have to be included.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2blwk4cq

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was understood Durant would have to demand to be traded to get out of Brooklyn. In essence, that's what he did.

Using the NBA Trade Machine, this trade would work, leaving Bridges out of the equation.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2blwk4cq
Trade machines make it easy. What's hard is what the Nets want which we don't have. It doesn't sound like the Suns are even in the running from some reports are saying. KD could have easily said "trade me to Phoenix". Doesn't sound like he said that at all. Which mean even if we threw in the max 4 picks and maybe 1 swap it's no deal.
We can't beat the Jaylen Brown trade for the Celtics. I think we could put something together that matches the Raptors or Heat.

The only thing that is likely to salvage this trade is a multi-team deal.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trade machines make it easy. What's hard is what the Nets want which we don't have. It doesn't sound like the Suns are even in the running from some reports are saying. KD could have easily said "trade me to Phoenix". Doesn't sound like he said that at all. Which mean even if we threw in the max 4 picks and maybe 1 swap it's no deal.
We can't beat the Jaylen Brown trade for the Celtics. I think we could put something together that matches the Raptors or Heat.

Probably true. Until Ayton is available for trade, we just don't have the assets that Brooklyn is reportedly demanding even if we include CamJ and Mikal. Obviously, I'm grateful their asking price is out of our range but I worry about what we'll do come January when DA is tradable (with his approval).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As far as the Durant trade rumor, I mostly feel the fans have been along for the ride. It's not something we started.

If other teams want to give more than the Suns, so be it. There is more than one path to a destination. I still feel the Suns are very close with a couple of tweaks to the roster.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as the Durant trade rumor, I mostly feel the fans have been along for the ride. It's not something we started.

If other teams want to give more than the Suns, so be it. There is more than one path to a destination. I still feel the Suns are very close with a couple of tweaks to the roster.
I don't see many other opportunities to tweak the roster enough if we keep waiting for KD. If the reports are true KD just wanted to be traded....not traded to the Suns. I hope that is not true but he sure could have cleared that up. I am just over it now. Suns should look for multi-team trade to get a higher impact player in here. There is nothing left on the FA market that is going to be enough.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see many other opportunities to tweak the roster enough if we keep waiting for KD. If the reports are true KD just wanted to be traded....not traded to the Suns. I hope that is not true but he sure could have cleared that up. I am just over it now. Suns should look for multi-team trade to get a higher impact player in here. There is nothing left on the FA market that is going to be enough.

I think the Suns were Durant's preferred destination until the Celtics became involved. They seemed to scramble everything up. Now another team or two is involved.

We really do not know what is on the table for Durant, but a lot of it could be speculation. It's still hard for me to believe the Celtics would give up Jaylen Brown for Durant.

As far as improving the Suns, I wouldn't mind including some expiring contracts and draft picks for the right trade if the Suns go a different direction.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone thinking the Nets won't deal within their division is fooling themselves also. They did the Harden/Simmons deal last season with the Sixers who are in their division. That means the Celtics and Raptors would be in play, as well as the Knicks but the Knicks are unlikely to get involved.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Durant didn't mention the Suns I have to question if the Suns were ever the team. Sounds to me Durant simply requested a trade. Not a trade to the Suns.
Why do you question that. Everyone reported the Suns were his #1 team when the first news of the trade request came out, and it was never refuted.

If you really doubt that I think you have some kind of inferiority complex going on or something.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I mean I would trade Mikal straight up and he is by far my favorite player, and I don't even like Durant as a person very much, but ultimately getting a championship for the Suns has to be the main goal.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone thinking the Nets won't deal within their division is fooling themselves also. They did the Harden/Simmons deal last season with the Sixers who are in their division. That means the Celtics and Raptors would be in play, as well as the Knicks but the Knicks are unlikely to get involved.

I think the Raptors would have the same problem the Nets do. Durant wouldn't play for them.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Not sure why ppl still think this is true. If the Jaylen Brown offer is legit (which has been confirmed by multiple sources) then the Nets have plenty of leverage. Not only is Brown a top notch trade chip but it means KD’s list of teams has either grown or teams are willing to trade for him regardless of his wish list. The Nets aren’t walking away with an underwhelming return if they trade him.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score

I would love to see Durant in a Suns uniform although it's a huge risk to take but also a huge reward to receive. The Suns maybe out of the running with that Celtic Jaylen Brown offer. But who knows? Durant just rocked the boat with those latest demands.

I would like to see a scoring & rebounding forward like John Collins to start and an instant offense guard to be added for the bench. Trade away Crowder, Shamet, & Craig.

A little tweaking without signing Durant and then hope Ayton plays out well past January and that the team can run it back with a vengence & some heart.
But the Suns may be still be set on moving Ayton now that they got him under contract and can get more value for him and save some money with a less costly Center. Hope Ayton stays and works hard however.

CP3, Devin Booker, DeAndre Ayton, Mikal Bridges, John Collins. Cam Johnson, Jock Landale, Bismack, Dario Saric, Kemba Walker, Cam Payne, Damion Lee, Josh Okogie, Duane Washington

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure why ppl still think this is true. If the Jaylen Brown offer is legit (which has been confirmed by multiple sources) then the Nets have plenty of leverage. Not only is Brown a top notch trade chip but it means KD’s list of teams has either grown or teams are willing to trade for him regardless of his wish list. The Nets aren’t walking away with an underwhelming return if they trade him.

Suns aren't showing their cards, but I will let you peek. :wink2:

You must be registered for see images attach

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Welp... if that is true they've got zero leverage now. I can't imagine being Sean Marks on trade calls... demanding the Moon and then being reminded that if he doesn't move or make peace with Durant he is almost certainly getting fired.

Now we just need him to make it clear he wants to come to Phoenix.
I think Sean marks is getting fired either way.