The Ayton Plan

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude I’m so over Monty. The Ayton thing, Not playing STIX, not playing Holiday. The lack of adjustments, the finger pointing

But yet trying to jam Shamet and Abdel Nadar down our throats was ridiculous

So do the Suns replace the NBA Coach of the Year immediately after he wins the award?

He received a similar award by his peers.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So do the Suns replace the NBA Coach of the Year immediately after he wins the award?

The Raptors just did it.

Coach of the year and flamed out in the second round. Sound familiar?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Effectively quitting at the end of the season so we went into the playoffs in a lull

That’s another thing. Your the coach your the captain of the ship. This team looked totally different after locking up the 1 seed. Monty let that happen.

The we weren’t ready to match there intensity for game 6. I’m sorry what? Dude your the coach how do you not have them ready.

I’m over him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If he’s having issues with both CP3 and Ayton and we got rid of Stix and didn’t pick up his option because Monty refused to play and saw nothing in him and then got his pants pulled down by his former assistant and Jason Kidd (and coach Bud last year)… then yes.

I think Monty is a good coach, not a great coach… aka one good enough to win titles. He feels like the Doug Collins to whoever our Phil Jackson should be. So if you don’t have an elite coach and you’re looking at weighing that against young talent, I go with talent every time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Raptors just did it.

Coach of the year and flamed out in the second round. Sound familiar?

I put a question mark behind it for a reason.

It's easier to replace a coach than a star caliber player but we are not making the call, James Jones is.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I put a question mark behind it for a reason.

It's easier to replace a coach than a star caliber player but we are not making the call, James Jones is.

This team needs a hard hand. I think they’ve tuned Monty out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he’s having issues with both CP3 and Ayton and we got rid of Stix and didn’t pick up his option because Monty refused to play and saw nothing in him and then got his pants pulled down by his former assistant and Jason Kidd (and coach Bud last year)… then yes.

I think Monty is a good coach, not a great coach… aka one good enough to win titles. He feels like the Doug Collins to whoever our Phil Jackson should be. So if you don’t have an elite coach and you’re looking at weighing that against young talent, I go with talent every time.

Going with the talent is the smart move unless there is a chemistry issue. Hopefully Devin Booker and Chris Paul have weighed in.

I'd like to keep Ayton but I don't know what caused the collapse in game 7.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team needs a hard hand. I think they’ve tuned Monty out.

This team had great chemistry the past three seasons, even set a franchise record for wins.

It's hard to believe they turned on Monty so quickly. I wish I knew what happened.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm not ready to jettison Monty considering our recent history of coaching hires.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This Monty stuff is completely nonsense. We are not getting rid of him. Having said that, I am pretty much resolved Ayton is gone. Now we need to figure out what the hell we can get for him. Sounds like Monty doesn't want him back.

Now that I think about it. Don't the Suns have to sign McGee now with the MLE? You can't go into the season with just Biz as your center. You can't. Our big depth was everything during the season.

Jeebus. This offseason is going to feel like a long but of sea sickness.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Common sense tells me there was something much bigger going on with the team.

How can a team so close to their goal suddenly collapse n the playoffs. I couldn't even recognize the Suns in games 6 and 7 against the Mavericks.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Going with the talent is the smart move unless there is a chemistry issue. Hopefully Devin Booker and Chris Paul have weighed in.

I'd like to keep Ayton but I don't know what caused the collapse in game 7.

Honestly Booker and Paul haven earned the right to call shots. Blowing 2-0 leads doesn’t give you pull of anything it’s the exact opposite

Lebron? Yes
Steph? Yes
Giannis? Yes

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly Booker and Paul haven earned the right to call shots. Blowing 2-0 leads doesn’t give you pull of anything it’s the exact opposite

Lebron? Yes
Steph? Yes
Giannis? Yes

I think it's smart to keep your stars in the loop.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Simmons and Russillo brought up a Ayton for Zion swap. Simmons said he isn’t reliable enough for a title team who’s window is about to close and Russillo said getting someone with superstar potential in a S&T in unheard of and an easy yes. Problem is even if Zion was the best version of himself we’d be in the exact same situation next year.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Simmons and Russillo brought up a Ayton for Zion swap. Simmons said he isn’t reliable enough for a title team who’s window is about to close and Russillo said getting someone with superstar potential in a S&T in unheard of and an easy yes. Problem is even if Zion was the best version of himself we’d be in the exact same situation next year.

Oh but Zion is reliable

If you thought Ayton had motivational issues Zion is next level

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mentioned that about a week ago. If that’s an offer that’s out there, I want them to take it. Might as well swing for the fences here because no pupu platter of players and mid first rounders is going to keep this team in contention.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Common sense tells me there was something much bigger going on with the team.

How can a team so close to their goal suddenly collapse n the playoffs. I couldn't even recognize the Suns in games 6 and 7 against the Mavericks.
Yeah...there was something underlying going on in that locker room.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This Monty stuff is completely nonsense. We are not getting rid of him. Having said that, I am pretty much resolved Ayton is gone. Now we need to figure out what the hell we can get for him. Sounds like Monty doesn't want him back.

Now that I think about it. Don't the Suns have to sign McGee now with the MLE? You can't go into the season with just Biz as your center. You can't. Our big depth was everything during the season.

Jeebus. This offseason is going to feel like a long but of sea sickness.

I agree on Monty. Sending him packing would be a mistake, regardless of what happened in the playoffs. He's been here 3 years, improving the team each season. I know this postseason collapse sucked but it wasn't all on him. If it happens again? Replace him. I don't fault him for over achieving last season and making the finals either.

As far as Center goes, we don't have Biz or McGee under contract. We'd need to spend the MLE to resign either of them.

We don't have a Center under contract other than Saric, as of now. I don't expect him to be retained. I imagine he'll be traded this off-season. He has a $9.2 million dollar expiring contract.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think I would do it. It’s not a great deal for us, and I’m unsure why the Pels would do it (valencunius does what they need and willie knows Ayton and likely knows Monty’s frustrations with him), but it brings back a potential superstar which never happens. Only happens here bc it’s maybe damaged goods.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure Zion can be fixed physically. Aaron Nelson is the head of the Pelicans training staff. He was the Suns head trainer during the Nash years and was credited with Nash's longevity, rehabbing Grant Hill, and a number of other players during that time. If he can't get Zion right, I doubt the Suns current staff can.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure Zion can be fixed physically. Aaron Nelson is the head of the Pelicans training staff. He was the Suns head trainer during the Nash years and was credited with Nash's longevity, rehabbing Grant Hill, and a number of other players during that time. If he can't get Zion right, I doubt the Suns current staff can.

There's only one man who can salvage Zion's career.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose