The Ayton Plan

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Magic have quite a few players I'd be interested in. Wendell Carter Jr, Cole Anthony, Jonathan Isaac, and Franz Wagner.

If we could get 2 of those guys I'd be happy. I think we should also get a pick in return, probably lottery or top 10 protected. If we could get 3 of them, I'd be ecstatic. I know there are some question marks for some of them but I think all have the potential to be good starters, although I'm not sure any would be All-Stars.

I’d throw up if we traded him for that package.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deandre Ayton is not the primary reason the Suns lost to the Mavericks.

They lost because they didn't have any play makers and scorers... someone who could create shots for themselves and others. Devin Booker was the Suns only play maker and he was double and triple teamed.

Chris Paul was ineffective supposedly because he had an injury and Cam Payne simply quit producing. Monty wasn't inclined to play Holiday and Payton. We know Payton wasn't the answer and the Suns probably needed more than Holiday although I'm still perplexed why Monty didn't give him a better look.

In the off season, let's fix the point guard position first. At least add a couple more point guards behind Paul that are serviceable. The Mavericks beat the Suns primarily with three point guards: Doncic, Brunson and Dinwiddie. That points to the problem right there.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Theoretically, because Ayton is a restricted free agent and the Suns can match any offer they make. That said, I agree with your sentiment- I doubt they'd trade multiple good young players for Ayton.
Also, if there really are multiple bidders for Ayton's services, a sign and trade for some decent pieces is the way to beat out the other suitors.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Just remember, we are at max players on the roster. If we trade Ayton for multiple players, we have to get rid of guys!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, if there really are multiple bidders for Ayton's services, a sign and trade for some decent pieces is the way to beat out the other suitors.
Almost every team with cap room has interest but that's because they are all looking for a deal right now. Signing a player of Ayton's ability, age and potential is a huge steal, trading equal or near equal value changes the dynamic considerably.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Its simple really all we have to do is somehow get one of the top 3 draftpicks PF problem solved.
Put Jabari or Paolo (both more ready than Stix was/is) next to DA and our front and backcourts will be fighting each other over who gets to destroy the opponent the most.
Its not Rocket Surgery
Make it happen

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its simple really all we have to do is somehow get one of the top 3 draftpicks PF problem solved.
Put Jabari or Paolo (both more ready than Stix was/is) next to DA and our front and backcourts will be fighting each other over who gets to destroy the opponent the most.
Its not Rocket Surgery
Make it happen

You are forgetting how hard it is to pry away a top 5 pick. The lure of potential is always better to fans. Remember how we felt about rumors of us trading our top picks. The only way we get a top 5 pick is if the team is getting Ayton in return. Nobody is trading the hope that a top 5 pick has for our pu pu platter of role players who just choked.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You are forgetting how hard it is to pry away a top 5 pick. The lure of potential is always better to fans. Remember how we felt about rumors of us trading our top picks. The only way we get a top 5 pick is if the team is getting Ayton in return. Nobody is trading the hope that a top 5 pick has for our pu pu platter of role players who just choked.
Yeah i was being fascist flacid facetious. Can never spell that word.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If that type of package makes you nauseous then you should grab a bucket. That type of JJ/Diaw deal is what we’re looking at.
Remember that deal almost landed us a top four pick too if not our crummy luck with the protection coming into play by one freaking spot.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Horford would have been such the perfect piece to put next to Amare. Then we could have traded Marion from a position of strength instead of desperation.

Even Noah would've nice to do the dirt work and guard Duncan.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Horford would have been such the perfect piece to put next to Amare. Then we could have traded Marion from a position of strength instead of desperation.

So many would of could of moments with that crew.

So close yet so far

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Even Noah would've nice to do the dirt work and guard Duncan.
Yup either one of them was a huge win for that squad. With raja’s addition, adding Diaw and horford/Noah would’ve made that squad better than it had been with jj

Reaction score
The main difference between them is that Sabonis is at clearly his ceiling and Ayton clearly isn't... but Ayton "at his ceiling" may never be a real thing, so you are taking your chances either way.
Correct. I think the most frustrating thing is that people keep waiting for Ayton to "take the next step." Clearly he improved his jump shot this year, but we have a lot of jumpshooters. Need more defender/rebounders, which going back 40 years has seemingly always been the Suns problem. Whether it was 76, late 80s (even with Barkley), the "six Seconds to Shoot" team, or this one, rebounding and strong team defense are always lacking.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct. I think the most frustrating thing is that people keep waiting for Ayton to "take the next step." Clearly he improved his jump shot this year, but we have a lot of jumpshooters. Need more defender/rebounders, which going back 40 years has seemingly always been the Suns problem. Whether it was 76, late 80s (even with Barkley), the "six Seconds to Shoot" team, or this one, rebounding and strong team defense are always lacking.
Ayton is simply our best shooter and you can never have enough shooters. If anything, a lack of shooters (or shooters that can get their own shots) has been our weakest area all season long.

The problem with DA isn't his ability to make the shot, it's his occasional lack of focus which too often leads to having to re-set the offense when it doesn't lead outright to a turnover. It's a problem that needs addressing but it wouldn't be enough to make me go away from feeding him - apparently either Monty or Chris Paul felt otherwise.

And we were a great defending team until the playoffs, top 3 most of the season. Also, despite a huge decline late in the season, we finish tied for 8th in rebounds per game with the Raptors and the Spurs.

The problem isn't that we weren't good enough in any area. It's that we, for whatever reason, stopped being the team that led the league most of the season.

I don't believe it was arrogance or laziness or quitting on the coach but whatever it was, all you had to do was watch a Suns game from February and then compare it to a Suns game from April - they were two different teams.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
At this moment, my preference is to keep DA. We're simply not going to get a good return if we try to sign and trade him. If something does come up, then sure, ok. Trade him, but the odds of that happening are next to nil.

We really need another big that can shoot and rebound next to DA. Crowder is too streaky to be that guy. I would love to run a twin towers lineup once in a while. I just don't think an Ayton/McGee pairing is it. Maybe an Ayton/Biz lineup would be good, but Monty never really experimented with that outside of one time ff the top of my head.

Ayton is a good to great defensive player, but the team needs to be proactive and not leave DA and our rebounding on an island when he's switched onto a perimeter player. Dallas fed off of us when they drew our big guys out, leaving the lane wide open for quick passes.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton is simply our best shooter and you can never have enough shooters. If anything, a lack of shooters (or shooters that can get their own shots) has been our weakest area all season long.

The problem with DA isn't his ability to make the shot, it's his occasional lack of focus which too often leads to having to re-set the offense when it doesn't lead outright to a turnover. It's a problem that needs addressing but it wouldn't be enough to make me go away from feeding him - apparently either Monty or Chris Paul felt otherwise.

And we were a great defending team until the playoffs, top 3 most of the season. Also, despite a huge decline late in the season, we finish tied for 8th in rebounds per game with the Raptors and the Spurs.

The problem isn't that we weren't good enough in any area. It's that we, for whatever reason, stopped being the team that led the league most of the season.

I don't believe it was arrogance or laziness or quitting on the coach but whatever it was, all you had to do was watch a Suns game from February and then compare it to a Suns game from April - they were two different teams.

I’ll maintain forever talent wasnt our problem we have a ton of talent but somewhere along the line our chemistry went left.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At this moment, my preference is to keep DA. We're simply not going to get a good return if we try to sign and trade him. If something does come up, then sure, ok. Trade him, but the odds of that happening are next to nil.

We really need another big that can shoot and rebound next to DA. Crowder is too streaky to be that guy. I would love to run a twin towers lineup once in a while. I just don't think an Ayton/McGee pairing is it. Maybe an Ayton/Biz lineup would be good, but Monty never really experimented with that outside of one time ff the top of my head.

Ayton is a good to great defensive player, but the team needs to be proactive and not leave DA and our rebounding on an island when he's switched onto a perimeter player. Dallas fed off of us when they drew our big guys out, leaving the lane wide open for quick passes.

I would LOVE Lauri Markkanen on this team. He’s a 6’11 legit stretch 4.

He would be a huge upgrade over Crowder in every single category. I’m done with Crowder

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll maintain forever talent wasnt our problem we have a ton of talent but somewhere along the line our chemistry went left.
Maybe it was chemistry but if so, it sure devolved quickly. I'm not at all confident on this but I believe it was primarily injuries. OTOH we've seen a lot of players play decently though injured and we've seen plenty of teams still succeed despite missing key players so we have to consider other possibilities too. Whatever it was, I hope it gets straightened out soon.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Imagine not being able to dominate the paint vs the likes of Maxi Kleber and Davis Bertans. Even Luka outrebounded this dude who is self-proclaimed Shaq 2.0 and “patterns his gave after KG”. The Suns can bring him back but just remember that he’ll never leave you feeling like you didn’t want more.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose