Kyrie?

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wasn’t suggesting trading Paul for kyrie…kyrie is going to decline his player option and become a free agent. You add kyrie on a 1 year cheap deal, he is crazy enough to accept a 1 yr cheap deal. We trade ayton, cam Johnson and a first rounder for Durant.

Paul/kyrie
Booker/kyrie/shamet
Bridges/crowder
Durant/MLE
Any servicable center.

Boom. That’s how you win the off season.
You ain't getting KD without Bridges

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If we could swing it to get him for CP I would absolutely take it. Keeps us relevant and increases our chances in the post-season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the time of the draft I was solidly behind Tatum but I spent most of the season trashing him.
I was dead set against him. Desperately wanted Jackson. Thought he was going to be the next Scottie Pippen.

And then followed that brilliant call by probably being THE most obnoxious Ayton over Doncic guy.

Solid two years of draft takes from the Cheese there.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I was dead set against him. Desperately wanted Jackson. Thought he was going to be the next Scottie Pippen.

And then followed that brilliant call by probably being THE most obnoxious Ayton over Doncic guy.

If you wanted Bender that’d be the triple crown. We all were wrong those years and so was our GM.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you wanted Bender that’d be the triple crown. We all were wrong those years and so was our GM.

Bender I definitely did NOT want. But i didn't have a clue about anyone in that draft. Man... that draft wasn't that bad in the lotto... ended up being 7 good to very good to even borderline great players in the top 11 of that draft. We had 2 picks in the top 8 and came out with Jack and Squat.

i also really wanted Noel over Len. don't feel terribly about that one, but that draft was really atrocious everywhere.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bender I definitely did NOT want. But i didn't have a clue about anyone in that draft. Man... that draft wasn't that bad in the lotto... ended up being 7 good to very good to even borderline great players in the top 11 of that draft. We had 2 picks in the top 8 and came out with Jack and Squat.

i also really wanted Noel over Len. don't feel terribly about that one, but that draft was really atrocious everywhere.

That Len draft was awful. I remember being appalled when we took Len. I wanted Ben McLemore... he ended up being a total bust.

Look at that horror show. Giannis and Steven Adams in the middle of the first, Gobert towards the end and other than them you can hardly find a guy who could pass as a decent starter in that draft.

Someone here was pushing for Steven Adams, can't remember who... the rest of us were dopes.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Len draft was awful. I remember being appalled when we took Len. I wanted Ben McLemore... he ended up being a total bust.

Look at that horror show. Giannis and Steven Adams in the middle of the first, Gobert towards the end and other than them you can hardly find a guy who could pass as a decent starter in that draft.

Someone here was pushing for Steven Adams, can't remember who... the rest of us were dopes.
I wanted Otto Porter. I wanted no part of the two injured big men (Len and Noel). I also (sort of) wanted Bennett. I knew he had real bust potential but I thought he had a decent chance to be great instead.

But the key for me was that Bennett was nowhere near ready so he wouldn't hurt our draft chances for that next year. I was convinced that Wiggins was the real deal and was willing to risk a bad pick that year to grab the next Michael Jordan the following season. Ouch.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wanted Otto Porter. I wanted no part of the two injured big men (Len and Noel). I also (sort of) wanted Bennett. I knew he had real bust potential but I thought he had a decent chance to be great instead.

But the key for me was that Bennett was nowhere near ready so he wouldn't hurt our draft chances for that next year. I was convinced that Wiggins was the real deal and was willing to risk a bad pick that year to grab the next Michael Jordan the following season. Ouch.

There were some real monster hype jobs in during a stretch there that almost all became massive flops. The Jabari Parker and Wiggins draft was being compared to LeBron and Carmelo.

In the Len draft year there was Shabazz Muhammed who a lot of of people were keen to tank for... right up until it came out his dad had helped lie about his age. Shabazz didn't even start 20 games in the NBA.

I was all about McLemore that year, I thought he was going to be a superstar. That draft and the Jackson draft killed my fantasies of "high risk" players. Part of the reason I was hammering for Ayton is because I knew that there was no way he'd be a total bust, far too skilled, Luka, in my mind, was a much riskier pick.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

I was right there with you on Jackson. Seemed like a guy that could pretty much do everything you could need from a wing.

I was open to the idea of drafting Doncic at the time, but was leaning towards Ayton because he seemed like the better fit and the more sure thing.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
By the time of the draft I was solidly behind Tatum but I spent most of the season trashing him.
I remember watching film of Tatum thinking that was a great offensive player, but I figured I could not judge the physical talent well enough and Jackson was probably better.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember watching film of Tatum thinking that was a great offensive player, but I figured I could not judge the physical talent well enough and Jackson was probably better.
For me it was because I'd promised myself to never believe the Duke hype again. But his late season play followed by the tournaments convinced me he wasn't going to be another Duke disappointment.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought Tatum was too athletically limited to go that high. I figured he was going to be something like what Cam Johnson is for us now. How can you draft a guy who looks like he's in slow motion half the time when there is a guy like Josh Jackson sitting there waiting to jump out of the gym?

I think Josh Jackson was the final straw for me... IMO, athleticism is wildly overrated in the NBA. So many unreal athletes flame out, end up not even being playable, while dudes who don't wow you athleticly (and some who flat out have some pudge) but possess a boat load of applicable skill are dominating the league.

The McD Suns loaded up on freakish, raw, athletes, guys with crazy hops and dudes with size and strength... those teams sucked out loud. Meanwhile, McD's best pick, and one of the steals of the decade, was a guy out of Kentucky who's only notable trait was a smooth jumper.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Tatum was too athletically limited to go that high. I figured he was going to be something like what Cam Johnson is for us now. How can you draft a guy who looks like he's in slow motion half the time when there is a guy like Josh Jackson sitting there waiting to jump out of the gym?

I think Josh Jackson was the final straw for me... IMO, athleticism is wildly overrated in the NBA. So many unreal athletes flame out, end up not even being playable, while dudes who don't wow you athleticly (and some who flat out have some pudge) but possess a boat load of applicable skill are dominating the league.

The McD Suns loaded up on freakish, raw, athletes, guys with crazy hops and dudes with size and strength... those teams sucked out loud. Meanwhile, McD's best pick, and one of the steals of the decade, was a guy out of Kentucky who's only notable trait was a smooth jumper.

I've learned to look for skills first in a player and athleticism second. If you can combine the two, so much the better.

De'Aaron Fox blew me away in the 2017 draft with his speed, ability to get by defenders and distribute. I figured he would always have that and his shooting would develop. Plus, the Suns needed a point guard.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I had the same reservations about Tatum. So dumb.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know college ball isn't what it once was but if a player can dominate scoring there then they'll find a role in the NBA, most of the time. I wanted Jackson too but preferred Tatum because I saw Booker like potential in him. Not who Book is now but who he was at that time as far as good scorer who won't disappoint offensively. Tatum has turned into an MVP candidate and so has Book. They may be long shots because they don't possess games that will get them featured on ESPN regularly but they'll explode for 50+ with ease.

McD definitely taught Suns fans the downside of drafting based on athleticism. Meanwhile JJ seems to have shown us the downside in overlooking the draft entirely. Life as a Suns fan is rough.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Will be very exciting to see how Monty responds in the next matchup vs the Mavs! Will his gameplan change?

Booker and Kyrie would have been fun though. Not in the long run maybe, but for a couple of months. Not sure if the Mavs improved with this trade. Will be interesting to see how Luka and Kyrie work together. Looking forward to playing them!

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What would be funny if Kyrie just ends up walking from the Mavs

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so glad we didn't get him. Dude would torch this organization.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would be funny if Kyrie just ends up walking from the Mavs
Nah, given his history that would be closer to predictable than funny. What WOULD be funny though is if the addition of Kyrie led to Luka demanding a trade. Especially if it came after the two of them successfully demanded that Kidd be replaced by whoever they fancied at the moment.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nah, given his history that would be closer to predictable than funny. What WOULD be funny though is if the addition of Kyrie led to Luka demanding a trade. Especially if it came after the two of them successfully demanded that Kidd be replaced by whoever they fancied at the moment.

I say that because Kyrie was after the 4 year extension, which is something the Lakers couldn't promise. And now Kyrie and Mavs talk will resume once the season is over.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so glad we didn't get him. Dude would torch this organization.

Echo the sentiment. Trading for Irving would have been the wrong move for the future of the franchise.

I guess the Suns were hoping for another short window point guard like Chris Paul.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose