Arizona Cardinals offseason thread 2022

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think we all do.

My overall view is that sometimes the team will bring in players that struggled elsewhere....but they are still better than what they have.

Hernandez and maybe Price are examples of this. Price actually had a higher PFF grade than Hudson, and was substantially better than Garcia. So he might actually be an upgrade if PFF is correct.

But others will look at his move and because he isn't a good-great player and they just pan it. I think that's a very narrow view. As a fan, we all have a general understanding of how the salary cap works, but few of us have an understanding of who the people are and how they fit into the team as a whole.

I'm most concerned about WR because of Hopkins, and pass rush because of Chandler Jones' departure. The Cardinals do have some WR depth, but the reality is the team struggled mightily without Hopkins so it remains to be seen if they will be ok without him for six weeks. Jones was a nonfactor for large stretches of the season and he was a part of the struggles against the run, but finishing sacks is still more important overall than hurries or knockdowns. I think the pass rush takes a step back, which could impact the entire defense overall.
Even with Brown, losing Hop for 6 weeks is a major loss. And I think too many of us, myself included, have downplayed trying to replace CJ with two rookies. With VJ, how much can we even expect to see from the rooks?? Having had the opportunity to watch even more film, CJ may not have had the sack total of years past, but he was BY FAR our most disruptive pass rusher. That being said, overall he was a liability against the run, and had way too many stupid penalties out of sheer frustration at times. I'm totally expecting Keim to pick up a few more notable veterans, and we better hope there are some additions to our DL & pass rush. As it stands right now, I fear we will get run on similar to last year.

I hope we do bring in Price, and I'm praying that kid from Virginia Tech contributes this season. It's no secret just how bad our IOL was last season once Hudson went down & was never even near 100% once he returned. One thing I noticed down the stretch was that our IOL was 10X worse as soon as it was obvious what we would do in down & distance situations. Our IOL would get blown backwards on the 3rd & shorts & it was even uglier when we were in obvious passing situations. Defenses knew our achilles heel & exposed it big time. Max Garcia & Jones on the inside of that line just killed any chance of us being able to run our offense.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Even with Brown, losing Hop for 6 weeks is a major loss. And I think too many of us, myself included, have downplayed trying to replace CJ with two rookies. With VJ, how much can we even expect to see from the rooks?? Having had the opportunity to watch even more film, CJ may not have had the sack total of years past, but he was BY FAR our most disruptive pass rusher. That being said, overall he was a liability against the run, and had way too many stupid penalties out of sheer frustration at times. I'm totally expecting Keim to pick up a few more notable veterans, and we better hope there are some additions to our DL & pass rush. As it stands right now, I fear we will get run on similar to last year.
I'm pretty confident that Keim will kick the tires on a veteran over the next month or so. Once veterans salary demands drop and they need a team to latch onto.

I think it's an absurd notion overall that the Cardinals front seven will be as good. Losing Jones and even a degraded Corey Peters hasn't been fully replaced. I'd be more confident if Gardeck showed more last year, and the combo of Fotu/Lawrence were better. Dogbe is a guy I think should get more PT and it's been kind of strange that every time we see him play, he looks better than Lawrence/Fotu and yet he doesn't get the snapsm

With the overall number of players who have played in the past I'm mostly confident it won't be a total dumpster fire, but I think the defense takes a step back overall.

I hope we do bring in Price, and I'm praying that kid from Virginia Tech contributes this season. It's no secret just how bad our IOL was last season once Hudson went down & was never even near 100% once he returned. One thing I noticed down the stretch was that our IOL was 10X worse as soon as it was obvious what we would do in down & distance situations. Our IOL would get blown backwards on the 3rd & shorts & it was even uglier when we were in obvious passing situations. Defenses knew our achilles heel & exposed it big time. Max Garcia & Jones on the inside of that line just killed any chance of us being able to run our offense.
It's crazy talk to think Price isn't better than Garcia. Any indicator supports that concept. Garcia played ok earlier in the year but he struggled mightily down the stretch. Jones showed he can play tackle much better than guard.

Unfortunately the Cardinals are stuck in a weird spot where I doubt any rookie can beat out the veterans, but the veterans aren't really that good either. The offensive line isn't as bad as the critics say, but it's not a good line either.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm pretty confident that Keim will kick the tires on a veteran over the next month or so. Once veterans salary demands drop and they need a team to latch onto.

I think it's an absurd notion overall that the Cardinals front seven will be as good. Losing Jones and even a degraded Corey Peters hasn't been fully replaced. I'd be more confident if Gardeck showed more last year, and the combo of Fotu/Lawrence were better. Dogbe is a guy I think should get more PT and it's been kind of strange that every time we see him play, he looks better than Lawrence/Fotu and yet he doesn't get the snapsm

With the overall number of players who have played in the past I'm mostly confident it won't be a total dumpster fire, but I think the defense takes a step back overall.

It's crazy talk to think Price isn't better than Garcia. Any indicator supports that concept. Garcia played ok earlier in the year but he struggled mightily down the stretch. Jones showed he can play tackle much better than guard.

Unfortunately the Cardinals are stuck in a weird spot where I doubt any rookie can beat out the veterans, but the veterans aren't really that good either. The offensive line isn't as bad as the critics say, but it's not a good line either.

Keim waiting for that $10m from Philips to kick in June 1st it seems. I'm sure he's on the phone getting deals lined up but anything more than vet min guys probably don't get done until June.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
So what is the diff between assistant head coach and associate head coach?

Also do most football teams have a Chief of Staff?

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He was cut because of a disagreement with coaches, but PFF had him as the 25th most disruptive IOL in football (out of like 124) last year, so he isn't a scrub.
Whelp, I guess if he has the talent, the money $$ to J.J. for his "leadership" qualities should be paying divideds for things like this other than rookies.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He was cut because of a disagreement with coaches, but PFF had him as the 25th most disruptive IOL in football (out of like 124) last year, so he isn't a scrub.
He also has some concussions in his past, and the whole situation around his original release was odd. Still, if Keim is collecting reclamation projects, I'm all for giving a young D-linemen with a recent history of production a shot.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Information is information. You hock FO like their information is so much better.

I look at all skeptically, but at least there is some positive information on Keke.

Much bigger, much more widely used PFF = bad

Much smaller niche FO = Super accurate

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Much bigger, much more widely used PFF = bad

Much smaller niche FO = Super accurate
Both are still sources of information.

I don't rely on any one piece of information as 100% accurate. PFF has issues of course but so does @kerouac9 vaunted football Outsiders.

I use PFF as a quick reference for grading players. Keke has like a 62 grade which means he is an ok player.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Both are still sources of information.

I don't rely on any one piece of information as 100% accurate. PFF has issues of course but so does @kerouac9 vaunted football Outsiders.

I use PFF as a quick reference for grading players. Keke has like a 62 grade which means he is an ok player.

69 the year before too.

Drafted the same year as Zach Allen and better by a total of 32 points on Allen over that span.

As you say, it's one source along many.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
69 the year before too.

Drafted the same year as Zach Allen and better by a total of 32 points on Allen over that span.

As you say, it's one source along many.
Sounds like he can at least be a solid rotation lineman. The Cardinals still need that one "star" DL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave