Starts and Ends with Chris Paul

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This kind of crap from Paul was to be expected, he's old and the Suns are constructed to handle Paul's poor performances. The problem is that Payne seems to have not recovered from his injury and he sucks. If he could play up to his average level from the season the Suns would be in good shape.
expected? have you watched the Suns the past 2 years? how many "poor performances" has Paul had? i watched every game and i'd say the ratio of good games to bad games is 20 to 1. Or, to put it another way, his good games to bad games is probably among the best in the league.

and, it's not just Payne who has been dragging the Suns in the playoffs. Craig is giving us nothing. Shamet is giving us very little. Cam Johnson under-performed and so has Bridges most games. and Crowder just came out of a major cold spell. Ayton is inconsistent and Holiday is on permanent holiday for some reason.

a much more accurate statement is, despite his age, Paul has constructed himself with diet and exercise and study and practice to "handle everyone else's poor performances" here for 2 years and if it wasn't for Dallas making it a priority to disrupt his game he would have carried us again, as usual.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns fault for believing an old PG and a terrible back up PG could be the answer. Should have went all out to find an answer but just ran it back instead.
Cam Payne was not terrible last season at all, he was quite good actually. Yes he is playing horribly now, but I don't think you can really fault management for not being able to see that his game was going to fall apart for no disernable reason.

I am faulting Monty though for not even giving Holiday a try.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Payne was not terrible last season at all, he was quite good actually. Yes he is playing horribly now, but I don't think you can really fault management for not being able to see that his game was going to fall apart for no disernable reason.

I am faulting Monty though for not even giving Holiday a try.
This. However, if you recall, when our FC struggled at times during the playoffs last year or when Ayton went to the bench these boards were lighting up about giving Frank some minutes. That didn't happen until the very end of the playoffs. Monty shortened the rotation with a less talented team last year in the playoffs and appears to be determined to do that this year. So this is NOT new from Monty.

In terms of Payne? How could they not see it? His FG% and 3P% were way down this year. To me I don't think it's a matter of they didn't see it but they were showing loyalty to Cam for last season and flashes he showed this season thinking he would return to form. It hasn't happened. Everybody sees it.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Both Cams never came back to form after going down with injuries. I think they tried to get them back by starting them, but the defense in the playoffs is tighter than the regular season.

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Both Cams never came back to form after going down with injuries. I think they tried to get them back by starting them, but the defense in the playoffs is tighter than the regular season.

They were playing so good to. Payne looked all world when CP3 went out and Cam Johnson looked like a stud for the time Booker went out and then nothing

I can’t figure it out

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’ve been out on Payne for some time despite some important stretches he’s had for us in the past. I feel like your backup PG needs to be more smart/steady than chucker.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were playing so good to. Payne looked all world when CP3 went out and Cam Johnson looked like a stud for the time Booker went out and then nothing

I can’t figure it out

Cam Johnson has never been quite the same since missing 13 games with a right quad contusion. IMO, he lost some weight/muscle while he was out.

Cam Payne has not looked the same since March.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been out on Payne for some time despite some important stretches he’s had for us in the past. I feel like your backup PG needs to be more smart/steady than chucker.

Payne can't seem to figure out a way to get to the rim which in the past has been a key to getting him going.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Johnson has never been quite the same since missing 13 games with a right quad contusion. IMO, he lost some weight/muscle while he was out.

Cam Payne has not looked the same since March.
Cam Payne really hasn't looked the same (except occasional flashes) all season. His FG% dropped from 48.4 to 40.1 this season. I have seen him take SO MANY bad shots or shots out of control. His 3 Point % fell off a cliff. He was shooting 44% from 3 last season which was a huge boost and shot 33.6% this season. So, the signs have been there all season long.

In the playoffs? He has somehow gotten worse. He is shooting 31.7% from two and 15.4% from three. We are a whopping -25 with him on the floor during the playoffs. To put that into perspective? The last series we lost was against the Bucks and we were -21 with him on the floor during that series. That's how bad he has been.

Last edited:

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
expected? have you watched the Suns the past 2 years? how many "poor performances" has Paul had? i watched every game and i'd say the ratio of good games to bad games is 20 to 1. Or, to put it another way, his good games to bad games is probably among the best in the league.

and, it's not just Payne who has been dragging the Suns in the playoffs. Craig is giving us nothing. Shamet is giving us very little. Cam Johnson under-performed and so has Bridges most games. and Crowder just came out of a major cold spell. Ayton is inconsistent and Holiday is on permanent holiday for some reason.

a much more accurate statement is, despite his age, Paul has constructed himself with diet and exercise and study and practice to "handle everyone else's poor performances" here for 2 years and if it wasn't for Dallas making it a priority to disrupt his game he would have carried us again, as usual.
Have you watched Chris Paul in the playoffs for the past 16 years?

Shamet and Craig are not good players. Payne and Johnson were both injured right before the playoffs and neither looks as good as they did before the playoffs.

Ayton and Bridges depend on good point guard play (Payne or Paul), much like Marion and Raja Bell depended on Nash.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope Chris Paul's 37th birthday (May 6th) wasn't his expiration date.

He had two subpar games May 6th and 8th.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am on a conference call at work....what I miss? I can only see this little bit on my phone.
There is an offensive lineman - a guard - named Chris Paul who was drafted and just signed his rookie deal.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That would redefine falling off a cliff.
sure, "falling off a cliff" to a lower ledge if you consider that his last position was atop the mountain, but in perspective, "subpar" is exactly the right word.

and he didn't fall on his own. Dallas was pushing pretty hard.

and if he dropped so low, where the hell does that put every other Suns player not named Devin Booker?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought the same thing. Turns 37 and hit the wall?

I suppose if one perceives age as a barrier, it might have an impact how how they view themselves.

The age itself shouldn't suddenly become a wall.

I doubt this has anything to do with Paul's last two games.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The turnovers suggest to me that he is having lingering issues from the prior injuries to his hands. Its affecting his handle. Would be great if we get a break in these games or if we get another blowout where he can just rest.

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The turnovers suggest to me that he is having lingering issues from the prior injuries to his hands. Its affecting his handle. Would be great if we get a break in these games or if we get another blowout where he can just rest.

He looks hurt. This is 3 games now where he just can’t pass the ball.

Even on something simple like pick and rolls he’s throwing it at guys ankles.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He looks hurt. This is 3 games now where he just can’t pass the ball.

Even on something simple like pick and rolls he’s throwing it at guys ankles.
I thought that at first but not now. Listening to Dallas radio? They were saying Kidd took the Pelicans direction when it comes to Paul. They are bodying him up every single time he is in there to wear him down. If you are physically taxed, you have no legs, and your passes are not as crips either. Maybe it's both.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
CP3 looks like he’s close to retirement these last few games. I’m not sure it will get better playing every other day for the next two weeks plus.

Also big props to Monty benching Payne.