10 thoughts - Cards' day three draft

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I agree that a one year deal would not be wise. It is too expensive when you can not manipulate the salary cap, but have to take the hit right away. However, for that reason, I would not mind signing him to a three year deal. You can construct that in many way, and since they have basically no dead money now, it would not be that big a deal if he leaves a little behind.
Here's the thing though, until Murray is locked in long term, I think having little dead money is a really good thing.
I will admit, though, that I feel that cornerback is a bigger need than probably the majority on this board, and Bradberry would be an upgrade over anyone of them not named Byron Murphy.
At his best, yes. But Bradberry has had multiple seasons where he was that good. So it's not like he is a multi time Pro Bowler who had been dominant for a five year stretch. There is a reason no team is even willing to throw a 7th to pry him away from the Giants.

Id consider him for a smaller vet contract, but even then, the Cardinals need to see what they've got in Wilson and Gladney and signing him might get in the way of that.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bradberry is significantly better than every CB on this roster & would be our 2nd best player on defense after Watt goes down with injury.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm wrong. Just looked at his passer rating given up at profootball reference and even last year, he wasn't terrible, and is better than any corner on the Cardinals roster.

Not interested. With Gladney signing I assume Murphy will move outside full time. He should if he wants to get paid next year.

That means Wilson would lose snaps to Bradberry and why would we want that? Wilson is a far better athlete and he's not going to improve if he isn't playing.

We would be doing exactly what we complain about as fans. Sacrificing player development for a vet rental.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Not interested. With Gladney signing I assume Murphy will move outside full time. He should if he wants to get paid next year.

That means Wilson would lose snaps to Bradberry and why would we want that? Wilson is a far better athlete and he's not going to improve if he isn't playing.

We would be doing exactly what we complain about as fans. Sacrificing player development for a vet rental.
I definitely think this is the main argument for not making a move.

If I'm bringing in a big time vet, I'm bringing in Clowney.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I definitely think this is the main argument for not making a move.

If I'm bringing in a big time vet, I'm bringing in Clowney.

Agreed. Thomas and Sanders will take time to develop. Both need work on their body before they are built for the NFL. They have a place in a rotation but I'm not convinced either can start.

If I'm blowing the $4m from Nuk and the $10m coming from Philips on any position it would be pass rush. Sadly I don't really like Clowney. I don;t like his mercenary attitude or how he thinks he can just skip camp and turn up when the season starts.

There are a couple of possible trades out there I think.

Romeo Okwara from the Lions. Had 10 sacks the year before last on a bad team. Missed most of last year. Okwara is built to play OLB and Lions are switching to a 4 man front. They just drafted Hutch and Pascal and have Charles Harris starting already.

Long shot. I'd call Carolina about Brian Burns. They are nowhere near competing for anything and they are currently already $11m over the cap in 2023. His 5th year option for next year is $16m and they would shed all of it in a trade. Everyone else eating up money on that roster has a massive amount of dead money if cut or moved on. They can restructure guys obviously but I'd still make the call. They are still hunting for a QB and will want all the capital they can get for one of next years top guys.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Agreed. Thomas and Sanders will take time to develop. Both need work on their body before they are built for the NFL. They have a place in a rotation but I'm not convinced either can start.
Yeah I think they both are projects to a degree. If Thomas is going to play OLB, he's going to need to stay trim and work on getting cut up. I think there is a chance this can happen with JJ Watt in the building.

Sanders needs to get bigger and stronger, kind of different than Thomas.

Gardeck should be back to close to 100%, and I think if he's even 50% of what he was in 2020, he'll be a surprise some of the naysayers on the board. Kennard has been underutilized and he has demonstrated he's at least a solid player. The naysayers are acting like the Cardinals have nothing on the edge and I don't think that's true, but I also don't think this is a strength.
If I'm blowing the $4m from Nuk and the $10m coming from Philips on any position it would be pass rush. Sadly I don't really like Clowney. I don;t like his mercenary attitude or how he thinks he can just skip camp and turn up when the season starts.
Well in Clowney's defense, none of these teams have really committed to him as well. I'd throw a strong contract offer at him and extend Humphries and another contract to pay for him.
There are a couple of possible trades out there I think.

Romeo Okwara from the Lions. Had 10 sacks the year before last on a bad team. Missed most of last year. Okwara is built to play OLB and Lions are switching to a 4 man front. They just drafted Hutch and Pascal and have Charles Harris starting already.

Long shot. I'd call Carolina about Brian Burns. They are nowhere near competing for anything and they are currently already $11m over the cap in 2023. His 5th year option for next year is $16m and they would shed all of it in a trade. Everyone else eating up money on that roster has a massive amount of dead money if cut or moved on. They can restructure guys obviously but I'd still make the call. They are still hunting for a QB and will want all the capital they can get for one of next years top guys.
Some good ideas here. Okwara could be a beast playing 3-4 here. It's much easier to rush the passer when you have a somewhat competent offense that can score some points.

Burns would be made to order, and few pass rushers intrigue me more, but Carolina is funny in that they don't understand how far off they are and they wouldn't give him up without really good trade compensation. I'd probably only at most a 1st with Carolina throwing in a 3rd for him because of the uncertainty.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Because he is better? Bradberry would be a significant upgrade. And I do not know who the fans you are talking about is. Most fans on this board prefer to win than to develop players. And, by the way, Bradberry is 28. It is not like he is on his way to the NFL-graveyard, and thus, nobody say that he would be any more than a rental than Wilson might be.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gardeck should be back to close to 100%, and I think if he's even 50% of what he was in 2020, he'll be a surprise some of the naysayers on the board. Kennard has been underutilized and he has demonstrated he's at least a solid player. The naysayers are acting like the Cardinals have nothing on the edge and I don't think that's true, but I also don't think this is a strength.
I want nothing more than to see Gardeck be a factor on defense. I have been praising him from he came in as an undrafted free agent, and started playing great on special teams. It would be fun to see him contribute on defense as well.

However, I see him mostly as a high-energy guy that primarily produce because of a strong will. Do you see something else, Krang?

Like you, I would sign Clowney. He is very good against the run, and he gets more pressure on the quarterback than people might think.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I want nothing more than to see Gardeck be a factor on defense. I have been praising him from he came in as an undrafted free agent, and started playing great on special teams. It would be fun to see him contribute on defense as well.

However, I see him mostly as a high-energy guy that primarily produce because of a strong will. Do you see something else, Krang?
He does have the speed rush.
Like you, I would sign Clowney. He is very good against the run, and he gets more pressure on the quarterback than people might think.
I doubt we sign him, but he might be the one free agent who could really push the needle.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think most fans would be happy with Bradberry IF:
1. Doesn't cost too much to get him.
2. Doesn't cost too much to pay him, as we need all the money we can get, in order to extend KM.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because he is better? Bradberry would be a significant upgrade. And I do not know who the fans you are talking about is. Most fans on this board prefer to win than to develop players. And, by the way, Bradberry is 28. It is not like he is on his way to the NFL-graveyard, and thus, nobody say that he would be any more than a rental than Wilson might be.

Oh I see. Bradberry equals wins does he?

Is that why in his 6 seasons in the league he has as many winning seasons as Marco Wilson?

Why are football fans so short sighted? Wilson was a rookie last year. We have to give players at least a few seasons to develop. I'll take Wilson's potential over Bradberry's known above averageness all day.

Do you think the Giant's want to move him because he's a great player? He's getting paid $14.5m per season. He's only the 11th most highly paid CB in the league and the Giants think he's not living up to that deal.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Is that why in his 6 seasons in the league he has as many winning seasons as Marco Wilson?

Why are football fans so short sighted? Wilson was a rookie last year. We have to give players at least a few seasons to develop. I'll take Wilson's potential over Bradberry's known above averageness all day.

Do you think the Giant's want to move him because he's a great player? He's getting paid $14.5m per season. He's only the 11th most highly paid CB in the league and the Giants think he's not living up to that deal.
I think it’s interesting in one post you hyperbolize that Carolina should consider jettisoning a great young player like burns bc they aren’t close to competing but don’t consider that the primary factor in the giants moving on from Bradbury.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Burns would be a great addition but the cost is too much
Okwara is much more possible and I think he could be traded for a 6th

Burns is 24. He's well worth the cost.

I think these would be trade deadline moves. I expect them to roll with what they have and only resort to a trade if things don't start well.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I think you are putting words in my mouth, BritCard. At least I meant that it definitely gives the Cards a better chance to win, just as it has done with the Giants, and what you are doing is to imply that I had no doubt in my life that Bradberry alone will secure a number of more victories. It is unfair to the discussion that you twist the arguments to fit your own agenda.

Being shortsighted is only a problem if you are being too shortsighted. The NFL is shortsighted, and that is why many fans are. Many fans (including me) are not willing to accept mediocre seasons for no other reason than because it might get better in some years. It is great that you are, though.

Ouchie have given a perfect answer to this, so I will just leave it at that.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
1 – People tend to shrug their shoulders of the third day. You are fooling yourself if you are doing that. Sure, many of the players will be cut already after training camp, but the third day is where you build the foundation of your team. Not every player can be a first- or second round pick. The third day is extremely important.

2 – I could not care any less of how old Chris Matthew will be as a rookie. If he gives them three years of solid production, that is more than fine with me. How many players are actually with a team for 10 years?

3 – Marquis Hayes was – along with Cameron Thomas – my favorite pick, and I have higher hopes for him than Lecitus Smith. However, in a way it is kind of a red flag to me that he was even on the board that late. How can that happen? He should have been long gone by then.

5 – I don’t like to spend a fullblown ST-pick. #Luketa

5 – I was not satisfied with the NFL Network’s coverage this year. Too little focus on the picks.

6 – I guess you must factor in Marco Wilson and Zach Ertz when evaluating how the third day picks were used. And then the haul looks better.

7 – The day told me that they are looking for a free agent cornerback (cough cough, James Bradberry).

8 – Can Hayes and Smith compete for starting duties? I think they can – and I am even cautiously optimistic about Justin Murray and Will Hernandez.

9 – Runningback is probably the only position where Keim has consistently drafted players that have produced. We will see with Ingram.

10 – I give this draft a B- .
The seventh cough is they might expect to have Alford back :)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Gardeck.
What more do you want? High energy,and the ability to produce results based on force of will.

Much better than a hyper talented extreme athlete who is lazy and quits on plays.
Plus Gardeck is quick.
Errr,...he was quick,...before the injury.....just gonna have to wait and see now.

I would offer Carolina a first and a sixth for Burns...
Let them haggle and strong arm us...
Max out at 2023 1st and 2024 3rd

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gardeck.
What more do you want? High energy,and the ability to produce results based on force of will.

Do you think it is enough in the NFL, Oaken? I don’t know. I think he got big problems producing pressures when the opponent started to focus on him, after he had that fantastic start to his edge rush-life. I think that only being a tireless energy bomb rarely works in the long run, and that you need to have more tools. Like I said, I have been singing Gardeck’s praise from the start when he was solely a special teams player, so I would want nothing more than to see him excel on defense, but I just have my doubts if he can.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Do you think it is enough in the NFL, Oaken? I don’t know. I think he got big problems producing pressures when the opponent started to focus on him, after he had that fantastic start to his edge rush-life. I think that only being a tireless energy bomb rarely works in the long run, and that you need to have more tools. Like I said, I have been singing Gardeck’s praise from the start when he was solely a special teams player, so I would want nothing more than to see him excel on defense, but I just have my doubts if he can.
he will be fine...he is just short.... I didnt expect anything notable from him last season due to the knee... but he is a year removed and thats when most guys show they are back. with Jones gone I expect the kid to be extra motivated.
he will never be a world beater... but 8??...maybe 10 sacks???

should be doable.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose