Valley Real Estate

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
In the third quarter of 2021 31.7% of the homes in Phoenix were purchased by investors. Add in those moving from other states who recently sold their home and it is a disaster for many residents who can no longer afford to purchase a home here.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In the third quarter of 2021 31.7% of the homes in Phoenix were purchased by investors. Add in those moving from other states who recently sold their home and it is a disaster for many residents who can no longer afford to purchase a home here.
Not doubting you, but do you have a source for that figure. It seems high. I'd like to read more.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Investors Have the Highest Market Share in Atlanta, Phoenix​

In Atlanta, nearly one-third (32%) of homes that sold in the third quarter were purchased by investors—the highest share of the 40 U.S. metropolitan areas Redfin analyzed. Next came Phoenix (31.7%), Charlotte, NC (31.5%), Jacksonville, FL (28.3%) and Miami (28.1%).

Here is the article: https://www.redfin.com/news/investor-home-purchases-q3-2021/

I was interested in their definition of investor and the article did provide it.
For this analysis, we looked at county sale records for homes purchased from January 2000 through September 2021. We define an investor as any buyer whose name includes at least one of the following keywords: LLC, Inc, Trust, Corp, Homes. We also define an investor as any buyer whose ownership code on a purchasing deed includes at least one of the following keywords: association, corporate trustee, company, joint venture, corporate trust. This data may include purchases made through family trusts for personal use.
I guess when I read investor, I just thought of big institutions like BlackRock and BlackStone that have been reported recently. I wonder how many of these sales have been a result of home buying companies like Open Door, Offer Pad, and even Zillow for a while. Zillow reportedly took heavy losses with their short-lived home flipping operation. Some of these businesses make it so easy to sell avoiding all of the hassles of selling the homes. I guess the big question is what are these companies doing with the homes. Are they large institutional investors, rental companies, flippers, or smaller landlords? Are they being listed again shortly after or are they being rented.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, we are transitioning to CA priced from decades ago. For a destination city, Arizona had low homw values. This is the correction. We will see a dip, we always do but it will be nothing like 2009 as this inflation is not caused by wrongdoing and poor lending, this is caused by affordable rates.

Even right now, A house I bought in December 2016 for $318k, I have listed at what it should appraise for, around $550k. I have 7 offers from people, all around $555k but guess what? Open door is offering more than all of them and is what I will end up taking. So, even in this inflated market, if large investors like opendoor are bidding higher than the actual people trying to buy homes, things are not slowing down at all.

The money tells you what is happening and will continue happening.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO, we are transitioning to CA priced from decades ago. For a destination city, Arizona had low homw values. This is the correction. We will see a dip, we always do but it will be nothing like 2009 as this inflation is not caused by wrongdoing and poor lending, this is caused by affordable rates.

Even right now, A house I bought in December 2016 for $318k, I have listed at what it should appraise for, around $550k. I have 7 offers from people, all around $555k but guess what? Open door is offering more than all of them and is what I will end up taking. So, even in this inflated market, if large investors like opendoor are bidding higher than the actual people trying to buy homes, things are not slowing down at all.

The money tells you what is happening and will continue happening.

That's remarkable. Agents seem to be almost useless in this current market when it comes to listing. They're not as easily replaced in the individual buying process though. You gotta take the best deal for you and your family. There's nothing wrong with that.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's remarkable. Agents seem to be almost useless in this current market when it comes to listing. They're not as easily replaced in the individual buying process though. You gotta take the best deal for you and your family. There's nothing wrong with that.
My agent is one of my best friends, Even if I compensate her on the side, the OD offer will still be the most cash in hand for me.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
speaking of. A potential buyer has come to the table to match opendoor. Things are getting interesting.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A house right behind mine just listed for $999,999. o_O

They'll never get that, and I'll be surprised if they even get within $200K of that.

It's crazy.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They'll never get that, and I'll be surprised if they even get within $200K of that.

It's crazy.
Will be interested to see what they get

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It's crazy.
When in Rome!

Until the collapse.. ;)

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Home refi's have fallen 50% annually. There must be a ton of layoffs in that industry.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Home refi's have fallen 50% annually. There must be a ton of layoffs in that industry.
I told my brother (mortgage broker) last year, while working in So Cal, to bust his ass with refis and purchases during this next run up... fortunately, he did well. But, he'll soon have to find something else..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson