Suns updates and discussion for the 2021-22 season

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, how are you all feeling about that Stix trade now?

For me, I am happy about it. Yes, we need to think about the long term, but we also have to go for the title now. Craig, to me, is clearly the better player in this moment and will contribute more in a post-game run. Craig adds energy and savvy defense that Stix just does not have--at least not yet.

Yes, we should have picked up Stix option, but I am not sure that would have made a lot of difference at the trade deadline--maybe it would. My guess is that we would have made the same trade. It would have just seemed more lopsided and we would have complained that we should have gotten more. Anyway. I like where we are.

I guess that is an interesting question, what do you think we could have gotten for Stix at the deadline had we picked up his option?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

For me, I am happy about it. Yes, we need to think about the long term, but we also have to go for the title now. Craig, to me, is clearly the better player in this moment and will contribute more in a post-game run. Craig adds energy and savvy defense that Stix just does not have--at least not yet.

Yes, we should have picked up Stix option, but I am not sure that would have made a lot of difference at the trade deadline--maybe it would. My guess is that we would have made the same trade. It would have just seemed more lopsided and we would have complained that we should have gotten more. Anyway. I like where we are.

I guess that is an interesting question, what do you think we could have gotten for Stix at the deadline had we picked up his option?
The same. Having him under contract another year might have moved the needle, but not by much.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I still think it was bad decision the Suns not picking up the option on Stix. No way around that.

I've always liked Craig, so getting him in return was a good outcome under the circumstances. If the Suns really wanted Craig they could have figured out another way to get him.

Stix was the power forward of the future.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I still think it was bad decision the Suns not picking up the option on Stix. No way around that.

I've always liked Craig, so getting him in return was a good outcome under the circumstances. If the Suns really wanted Craig they could have figured out another way to get him.

Stix was the power forward of the future.
That’s a stretch.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather have it resolved one way or the other as soon as possible. IMO if it still is up in the air come the playoffs the media will likely turn it into a major story line. Our guys have compartmentalized well this season but doing it with all those reporters in your face constantly is a different story.
I felt that way about a couple months ago but this “resolving” during the playoffs could be a major distraction. Compartmentalizing something simply under investigation is one thing. If this blows up in the organizations face and there is a power vacuum and upheaval in the front office? I am not so sure.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I felt that way about a couple months ago but this “resolving” during the playoffs could be a major distraction. Compartmentalizing something simply under investigation is one thing. If this blows up in the organizations face and there is a power vacuum and upheaval in the front office? I am not so sure.
I'm not sure if there was a disconnect here but that was exactly my point. If it breaks during the postseason (or just before) it will be a feeding frenzy for the media. We've handled the distractions well all season long but this will be on a whole new level for us.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the NBA will wait until after the playoffs. They don't want the distraction.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the NBA will wait until after the playoffs. They don't want the distraction.
I'm not sure they'll wait or gain anything by doing so. With this new nonsense it's going to be the topic of the day every day during the playoffs unless it's dealt with before. If the process has completed, or at least enough to satisfy the investigators, it needs to come out right away IMO. Every day we get closer to the postseason, the more this will hang over the team IMO.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure they'll wait or gain anything by doing so. With this new nonsense it's going to be the topic of the day every day during the playoffs unless it's dealt with before. If the process has completed, or at least enough to satisfy the investigators, it needs to come out right away IMO. Every day we get closer to the postseason, the more this will hang over the team IMO.

I'm sure there will be an appeal process or a lawsuit if Sarver is removed without overwhelming evidence.

Actually if Sarver is replaced I think it will be by the action of the other owners based upon the findings of the NBA investigation.

In other words I doubt this ends quickly or cleanly.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Stix is killing it in Indy

But the question isn’t Stix or Craig we could of and should of had both. It came down to signing Shamet over Craig and that was the big mistake.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sooooo Devin Booker now has the best defensive rating for a SG in the NBA and has also broken in to the top 10 in PPG.

Best player on the best team. Top ten in scoring and the best defensive player at his position and not a single word of MVP talk. How is that even possible.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stix is killing it in Indy

But the question isn’t Stix or Craig we could of and should of had both. It came down to signing Shamet over Craig and that was the big mistake.

The Suns need Shamet to be everything they want him to be because he is guaranteed around $10 million yearly for the next two seasons.

Suns also need to keep Aaron Holiday who will be a restricted free agent after the season.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns need Shamet to be everything they want him to be because he is guaranteed around $10 million yearly for the next two seasons.

Suns also need to keep Aaron Holiday who will be a restricted free agent after the season.

I would be very comfortable going into next year with Cam Payne and Holiday at PG.

I’m assuming Paul retires after he finally gets his ring.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be very comfortable going into next year with Cam Payne and Holiday at PG.

I’m assuming Paul retires after he finally gets his ring.

I think Chris Paul loves the game and will play as long as possible and hopefully afterwards, the Suns bring him into the organization/ownership in some capacity.

Cam Payne is showing he can be a starting point guard but I'm not sure if his body can take the constant pounding. Adding Aaron Holiday was a low profile move by James Jones which could pay off big time. Holiday can play too.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think Chris Paul loves the game and will play as long as possible and hopefully afterwards, the Suns bring him into the organization/ownership in some capacity.

Cam Payne is showing he can be a starting point guard but I'm not sure if his body can take the constant pounding. Adding Aaron Holiday was a low profile move by James Jones which could pay off big time. Holiday can play too.
Yeah I doubt he would retire after this season regardless.

However, let's say he did retire. What would that mean for his cap hit next season? Because if that takes his money off the cap we would have some money throw at a free agent possibly. Or does that just get filled with extensions for Ayton and CamJ?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I doubt he would retire after this season regardless.

However, let's say he did retire. What would that mean for his cap hit next season? Because if that takes his money off the cap we would have some money throw at a free agent possibly. Or does that just get filled with extensions for Ayton and CamJ?

I will leave that calculation for someone else but I doubt Paul leaves $60 million on the table for the next two seasons.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That has to be a record of some sort for a franchise to go from having it's worst record ever to it's best. It's amazing that Booker has a chance to be part of this turnaround. I'm so glad he's been loyal to this city and franchise.

He's had a run worthy of the Ring of Honor already and he hasn't hit his prime yet, crazy.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard nothing but silence lately on Frank Kaminsky.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort