Nfl wildcard round weekend-Arizona Cardinals @ LA Rams Pre Game Thread. 1/10/22 - 1/16/22

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
He tore an MCL. Not sure it was a complete tear, but players have actually played with this injury but I can’t recall any receivers doing that.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The Rams did not beat our ass. We lost by 7 points. We had two drives where we got into FG range near the end where KK decided to go for it instead of kicking the FGs. One drive ended at the Rams 14. That is 6 points off the board right there. If our coach was smarter we probably could have won that game with a FG at the end. The only games we really got our ass handed to us are the Panthers and Lions games. Every other game, one or two plays go our way its a win for us.
I don't care what anyone says..... the scoreline was closer that it appeared but Kyler and the bunch got mauled. Donald led off the game with a sack and they ended with a sack. Our top WR tore his MCL and our 2 min drill looked like 5 pre-schoolers at recess.

They punched us in the mouth and we couldn't take it. Scoreboard rarely tells the full story.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I was quite pessimistic yesterday but after reviewing the first two games I am slightly more hopeful. It will all depend on the game plan. On offense Garcia has been terrible. Yesterday he played like he’d never seen a D-line stunt and got Murray leveled. He leaves a huge hole in the line but Jones makes too many penalties to be an option. Hudson must help. There’s no way around it, Humphries was also terrible yesterday. He’s been decent though, so he should be okay.
Normally if you watch a game you can discern a plan of attack. If there was one yesterday, I couldn’t identify it. They targeted no particular part of the defense. There was no attempt to preempt the pass rush with quick throws, rollouts or delays. It seemed to be ad hoc play calling that let the Seahawks defense dictate the game. Kirk disappeared for much of the game. I think Ertz had only 2 targets in the first half. They did put Murray under center but that should have started 3 years ago. He hasn‘t developed deceptive technique and isn’t strong enough for QB sneaks. You can’t push him with linemen as he’s fragile.
The Rams game plan seems fairly obvious. You can‘t block Donald, so you have to tire him out and influence him. Roll out Murray. Use tons of motion and misdirection. Quick release slants will also frustrate him. If they have Edmonds back they can take him outside. What can’t happen is dropping Murray straight back time after time and expecting him to be elusive as a substitute for blocking. They could actually keep a back in or occasionally shift a tight end to the backfield. At best they could chip a rusher but that might be enough to buy time. I like middle screens where you dump the ball behind Donald, usually the Rams don’t cover those gaps tightly.
On defense if the Cards had Bowles I’d like their chances more. Bowles likes to blitz and has numerous deceptive patterns as well as stunts. Stafford has always been easy to rattle and pressure is the key. The Cards are healthy with regard to their best rushers and blitzers. With apologies to Mickey (Rocky), don’t let Stafford breathe! The D-line has to hold against the run. Maybe they get Phillips back. Certainly Watt’s presence will redirect rushers. Hicks needs to play his best game and be patient. I guess there’s no hope to dump the zone. Nonetheless I’d modify it and have Murphy follow Kupp. He can’t be stopped but he can be limited. You can’t drop linebackers or linemen into deep cover. You can’t let safeties get isolated on Kupp unless you’re getting pressure on Stafford.
This game can be won, but the Cards will need to play better than any second half game including Dallas. The must attack from the kickoff and take the game to the Rams physically. The Niners did and the Rams couldn’t hold up.

This

Good summary
Agreed. Pressure is the key.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't care what anyone says..... the scoreline was closer that it appeared but Kyler and the bunch got mauled. Donald led off the game with a sack and they ended with a sack. Our top WR tore his MCL and our 2 min drill looked like 5 pre-schoolers at recess.

They punched us in the mouth and we couldn't take it. Scoreboard rarely tells the full story.
It’s true, after the first quarter the Rams controlled the last game. But let’s not forget we actually jack stomped this team this season in LA.

Resin07

Veteran
Reaction score

They punched us in the mouth and we couldn't take it. Scoreboard rarely tells the full

We drove down the field 2 times and didn't kick FGs in FG range. Murray had a **** game. 2 picks, 1 in the Red Zone on the second drive of the game. I think that pick turned the game around the most. We were headed down to go up 10. If you call that a punch in the mouth then you are smoking something good and I want some. That game could have gone either way. MURRAY doesn't throw those two picks I believe we win. They weren't even pressure picks. He just threw bad passes. One was on 2nd and goal, the other gave the Rams a 1st down in the Red Zone. Even though Murray played like ****, we still had a chance at the end of the game to tie.

The Cardinals being ****** in a 2 minute drill is not the Rams punching us in the mouth, that is the Cardinals slamming their heads in a wall over and over, because it doesn't just happen in the Rams game, it happens EVERY game.

Carolina punched us in the Mouth. That game was atrocious.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We drove down the field 2 times and didn't kick FGs in FG range. Murray had a **** game. 2 picks, 1 in the Red Zone on the second drive of the game. I think that pick turned the game around the most. We were headed down to go up 10. If you call that a punch in the mouth then you are smoking something good and I want some. That game could have gone either way. MURRAY doesn't throw those two picks I believe we win. They weren't even pressure picks. He just threw bad passes. One was on 2nd and goal, the other gave the Rams a 1st down in the Red Zone. Even though Murray played like ****, we still had a chance at the end of the game to tie.

The Cardinals being ****** in a 2 minute drill is not the Rams punching us in the mouth, that is the Cardinals slamming their heads in a wall over and over, because it doesn't just happen in the Rams game, it happens EVERY game.

So was Detroit.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Absolutely agree. Self inflicted loss.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You’re right we didn’t come out and get punched in the mouth that game, but the Rams counter punched HARD after we blew what should have been a good start.

They were literally laughing at us early in the fourth quarter on the sideline because we looked so out of sorts.

Resin07

Veteran
Reaction score
You’re right we didn’t come out and get punched in the mouth that game, but the Rams counter punched HARD after we blew what should have been a good start.

They were literally laughing at us early in the fourth quarter on the sideline because we looked so out of sorts.

I think Donald single handidly did the hard punching. It won't surprise me when he does it again. I just hope we can get the same jump we did in game one so his punching won't be as effective.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lets go cards shock the nfl and win in la... not countin on it but hopin

Hey anytbin can happen i was born in marriata georgia parents went to georgia university huge dawg fans no one gave dawgs shot vs bama :) :)

Hope right murray shows

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets go cards shock the nfl and win in la... not countin on it but hopin

Hey anytbin can happen i was born in marriata georgia parents went to georgia university huge dawg fans no one gave dawgs shot vs bama :) :)

Hope right murray shows
You mean besides Vegas and quite a few pundits? Granted, I was rooting for Georgia the entire way, but it isn't like they were 20 point underdogs. They were the favorites.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Kliff has got to change his approach in the redzone. I'd start putting Kyler under center more. Start using more rub routes to get guys open in the endzone when in shotgun.

Unless the plan now is to run Kyler in the redzone like last year.
Kyler under center also opens up his roll-out runs, faking the defense.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Can't wait to find out who we get back this week.

I THINK Marco Wilson, Rondale Moore, & Chase Edmonds, & JJ Watt will be back.

I'm OPTIMISTIC Conner is going to actually play.

I'm hearing Alford may actually have a chance.

Anyone have any updates on Phillips? Would love to see him and Watt lined up together. I don't think they've played much together if at all this season.

And still waiting to hear an update about the absurd rumor that Hopkins has a chance to play.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Can't wait to find out who we get back this week.

I THINK Marco Wilson, Rondale Moore, & Chase Edmonds, & JJ Watt will be back.

I'm OPTIMISTIC Conner is going to actually play.

I'm hearing Alford may actually have a chance.

Anyone have any updates on Phillips? Would love to see him and Watt lined up together. I don't think they've played much together if at all this season.

And still waiting to hear an update about the absurd rumor that Hopkins has a chance to play.
Alford i heard is toast, and there couldnt be ANY truth to the rumor about dhop. He couldnt WALK 3 days ago

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably fair but doesn’t mean I have to like it, I really think Murray has the it factor, not The shhh factory , it just isn’t developed fully yet, but more then 1/2 way there. Why he don’t toss the ball away on repeated sacks bothers me, I mean sometimes might say he thinks he can escape, but not often, most the time he just drops and protects the ball, which ain’t all bad either, but again run more and it solves some of this, they know damn well he is going to pass when they sack him, and scheme to make sure he does not escape and rip their stinking rotting hearts out.
we are running more effectively but still like 2 passes to 1 rb run. It is not enough, NFL defenses tee off on him, it is just true.
We need Kyler moving off the spot off the snap. How can a guy like Stafford play action to the left , role out to the right and have nobody within 10 yards of him? Moving Kyler off the snap doesn’t allow the defense to hold a meeting where he normally sets up.
We need to run more with Kyler under center.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard