Warriors @ Suns Tuesday game thread 11-30-2021

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like Torrey but he's a 3/4 and we need a 4/5. He can play the 5 spot in rare situations when we go really small but it wouldn't be fair to force him into that 5 spot with any regularity.

The Torrey Craig ship has sailed. It's finding someone else who can help the Suns at the 4/5. The Suns may not have a lot of options when it comes to trades and buyouts. Hopefully they will be able to find someone who can contribute.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curry can destroy a lot of players but Nader would have been another body to throw at Curry on defense.

No he wouldn’t. He couldn’t stay close to Curry if he tried. And he’s a disaster on offense, which means Nader would be killing us on both ends of the court.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No he wouldn’t. He couldn’t stay close to Curry if he tried. And he’s a disaster on offense, which means Nader would be killing us on both ends of the court.

I don't want Curry to get the Suns starters in foul trouble early like Crowder and Bridges. It's going to take a team effort. On occasion height does cause Curry some problems.

Cam Payne might be an option

Check out the podcast I previously posted.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah, we want 17 wins in a row.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the point is lost that it's going to take a team effort to guard Curry and spread the fouls out.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
What a huge "series" for this part of the season. This games are going to be great. The biggest flaw of the Dubs this year are slow first quarters and turnovers (its actually amazing how dominate they've been with the number of turnovers they commit). Although their NBA leading defense helps with that.

With the way the Suns are playing the Warrios can't afford to go down 13+ points in beginning of the game. The real key for the Suns would be to limit GSW in the third quarter where they have absolutely been destroying teams.

It is interesting how Suns season kind of mirrors the Cardinals: They are palying about as good as they ever had with a hugh win streak to begin the season and virtually no separation from their division rival (while also being a bit overlooked by the sports media). These teams are prety similar with Suns having the advantage at center. If I were Monty Williams, I would feed Ayton all day. He should be able to dominate Looney.

Of course @Russ Smith and I want Dubs to win, but these next two games are a toss-up. I think they split the home/home with both teams winning in their building. Prediction for tonight's game: Suns: 124 Warriors: 121.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Prediction for tonight's game: Suns: 124 Warriors: 121.

Ha, the one possible outcome I don't see is the Suns winning close. Either one team wins comfortably or the Warriors win close. They are tougher and more accurate in crunch time.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a huge "series" for this part of the season. This games are going to be great. The biggest flaw of the Dubs this year are slow first quarters and turnovers (its actually amazing how dominate they've been with the number of turnovers they commit). Although their NBA leading defense helps with that.

With the way the Suns are playing the Warrios can't afford to go down 13+ points in beginning of the game. The real key for the Suns would be to limit GSW in the third quarter where they have absolutely been destroying teams.

It is interesting how Suns season kind of mirrors the Cardinals: They are palying about as good as they ever had with a hugh win streak to begin the season and virtually no separation from their division rival (while also being a bit overlooked by the sports media). These teams are prety similar with Suns having the advantage at center. If I were Monty Williams, I would feed Ayton all day. He should be able to dominate Looney.

Of course @Russ Smith and I want Dubs to win, but these next two games are a toss-up. I think they split the home/home with both teams winning in their building. Prediction for tonight's game: Suns: 124 Warriors: 121.

What players do you think have done the best job guarding Curry?

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Ha, the one possible outcome I don't see is the Suns winning close. Either one team wins comfortably or the Warriors win close. They are tougher and more accurate in crunch time.
The Warriors have had very few close games. I belive they've only had 4 games decided by 4 pts or less and they are 2-2 in close games. For their other 16 victories their average margin of victory is close to 18 pts. So, they really haven been challenged at all this season.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm expecting a split, as long as they play hard I don't really care too much with Klay and Wiseman about to go to Santa Cruz to start training and practicing the idea is just stay close until they are ready and then hopefully integrate them in.

The Warriors are still in a situation where they are sitting veterans here and there to rest them, likely not against the Suns. So to be 18-2 at this point is pretty impressive

They are small and you would assume the Suns will exploit that, CP3 also concerns me his ability to draw fouls if he gets Steph or Poole in foul trouble. Payton obviously can come in and guard him but they're going to need the offense from those 2.

The other concern is Bjelica seems to have dropped off of late, last 4 games only 32 minutes total, only 8 points. They need his shooting and passing to spread the floor when Looney is out.

Should be fun good early test of how good we are against the hottest team in the league. They always have trouble guarding Booker will be interesting to see how that goes tonight with I assume Wiggins starting on him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What players do you think have done the best job guarding Curry?

I think the guy who has the most success career wise is in Toronto, Fred Van Vleet, he just seems to be able to guard Steph better than anybody. Dort did really well on him for a half.

Everyone thinks length will bother him but he's usually able to either get by off the bounce or get air to shoot over them eventually. Van Vleet just seems to be very good at getting up into Steph and bothering him more than anybody else.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, Toronto really gave him trouble.
I think the guy who has the most success career wise is in Toronto, Fred Van Vleet, he just seems to be able to guard Steph better than anybody. Dort did really well on him for a half.

Everyone thinks length will bother him but he's usually able to either get by off the bounce or get air to shoot over them eventually. Van Vleet just seems to be very good at getting up into Steph and bothering him more than anybody else.

That's interesting that Fred Van Vleet had success guarding Curry. He is not that athletic.

Perhaps it is more how a player plays Curry than height and athleticism. In the earlier podcast Chris Paul was mentioned as an option to guard Curry. Maybe it's more about knowing his tendencies.

It might be best to let Curry score the ball than get his teammates involved.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I would just send a different defender at Curry every possession. Nobody is going to stop him, so the best bet is to try to keep him guessing.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I would just send a different defender at Curry every possession. Nobody is going to stop him, so the best bet is to try to keep him guessing.
They are going to screen, screen, screen to get Ayton on him as much as possible.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bridges thinks rebounding might be an advantage but the game will give the Suns an opportunity to see where their defense is against a team like the Warriors.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They are going to screen, screen, screen to get Ayton on him as much as possible.

And green will take it to him to draw fouls. And look for green to strip ayton a few times, maybe even muck things up with physical play.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Most teams that doesn't even matter most teams double Steph if he crosses halfcourt with the ball. Everyone plays a 1 man zone off Looney so I assume Ayton will too. I'm sure the Warriors will try to get Ayton on Steph but they don't use Looney that much in the screen game when they screen it's almost always Draymond.

Honestly the single most effective screener on the Warriors right now is Steph himself. He sets good screens and teams are so scared of him he often sets a screen and both defenders go to him and the guy he's screening for is wide open.

That, the fake handoff play, Draymond and Toscano-Anderson are both good at that, and the prime play for them is the split action.

If I had to guess I figure the Suns will try Paul and try Bridges on Steph but most teams just double him. The key to the Warriors offense is usually Wiggins when he's aggressive the offense is pretty tough to stop and he's been on a roll of late.

I figure the Suns double Curry and the Warriors double Booker.

last year the Lakers size really bugged the Warriors so you could see a scenario where Ayton and JaVale just dominate the glass inside but the Warriors will try to counter that by getting them in the pick and roll on the other end.

Should be fun I'm currious if the Warriors will gave Payton any time on Booker, he's much smaller but he makes it so hard to dribble

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA