The Ayton Plan

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
On the other hand, which of those other guys has more playoff experience than Ayton?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
To be fair, the rest of his peers weren't suspended for using PED's and tank their team for a season. They also weren't benched multiple times by their coach for lack of desire or engagement. I know his peers haven't made an NBA Finals either, but he was the third best player on that finals team.

Young and Doncic are franchise centerpieces that have been All-Stars, Luka All-NBA. Both were getting the max after their rookie seasons. Shai is closer to Ayton than MPJ but he is the centerpiece in OKC that they've decided to build around. They're also a pretty bad team but everyone knows they've dealt everyone else of value for draft picks, literally. Ayton is as deserving as Shai, IMO.

MPJ's deal is the one that really screwed the Suns, him getting maxed is a head scratcher. He's talented but he's a liability on defense, injury prone, and one dimensional on offense. He's a talented scorer who has the tools to get better and has improved every season he's played. I wouldn't be surprised if part of their rationale was forcing our hand with Ayton and hoping Sarver decides to Sarver it up, moving us out if their way in the West.
Incredible. Keep carrying water for Sarver here, now we know for sure that there are bad feelings.

The fact that we're still even talking about this is absurd, and now we have a pissed off Ayton.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
To be fair, the rest of his peers weren't suspended for using PED's and tank their team for a season. They also weren't benched multiple times by their coach for lack of desire or engagement. I know his peers haven't made an NBA Finals either, but he was the third best player on that finals team.

Young and Doncic are franchise centerpieces that have been All-Stars, Luka All-NBA. Both were getting the max after their rookie seasons. Shai is closer to Ayton than MPJ but he is the centerpiece in OKC that they've decided to build around. They're also a pretty bad team but everyone knows they've dealt everyone else of value for draft picks, literally. Ayton is as deserving as Shai, IMO.

MPJ's deal is the one that really screwed the Suns, him getting maxed is a head scratcher. He's talented but he's a liability on defense, injury prone, and one dimensional on offense. He's a talented scorer who has the tools to get better and has improved every season he's played. I wouldn't be surprised if part of their rationale was forcing our hand with Ayton and hoping Sarver decides to Sarver it up, moving us out if their way in the West.
You sound like you’re negotiating for Sarver.

Whatever your belief of Ayton, every condemnation of him became insignificant when MPJ was maxed. The Suns are negotiating with themselves, which makes them effectively the losers at the moment

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Without Ayton you don’t get to the finals.. you don’t get Valley oop..

you are not getting him for less than MPJ..

Its a no brainer.. If this doesn’t happen then Sarver is full of crap when he says he wants to win and spending is not an issue..

I am not one to give up on the home team but its getting to where I want to say screw supporting this team until we get new ownership.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It takes one second for the news to change, but the closer we get to next Monday, the worse it gets

I heard Ayton on FM 98.7 this afternoon. He sounded bitter and angry. This thing is about to blow up. Badly.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Without Ayton you don’t get to the finals.. you don’t get Valley oop..

you are not getting him for less than MPJ..

Its a no brainer.. If this doesn’t happen then Sarver is full of crap when he says he wants to win and spending is not an issue..

I am not one to give up on the home team but its getting to where I want to say screw supporting this team until we get new ownership.

Now this view I agree with.

Because I choose to look at things a little objectively rather than emotionally though apparently I'm on Sarver's side though, which is ridiculous. I want a deal done also but I can understand why it's not.

Like Germz said, and I agree with 100%, is you aren't getting Ayton for less than MPJ. That doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I heard Ayton on FM 98.7 this afternoon. He sounded bitter and angry. This thing is about to blow up. Badly.
It wasn't that bad. He said he was disapointed and felt disrespected. But also said it will not affect his play.

Even if we don't sign him to an extension odds are very high we do at the end of the season, and it cant cost the team any more money.

Sarver is going to be on 98.7 tomorrow, that is what I am anxious to hear.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It wasn't that bad. He said he was disapointed and felt disrespected. But also said it will not affect his play.

Even if we don't sign him to an extension odds are very high we do at the end of the season, and it cant cost the team any more money.

Sarver is going to be on 98.7 tomorrow, that is what I am anxious to hear.

I was about to post that Ayton basically said he felt disrespected. This is Joe Johnson all over again.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the interview with Deandre Ayton. He is disappointed a deal hasn't been completed.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was impressed with the way Ayton handled the interview. He let his feelings be known without getting into the business part of it leaving that to his agent.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was impressed with the way Ayton handled the interview. He let his feelings be known without getting into the business part of it leaving that to his agent.

Indeed. Unfortunately, you might recall that is precisely how Joe Johnson handled HIS disappointment before what ended up being his last season in Phoenix.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Dude this is turning into a bad comedy routine. It’s like your a Sarver burner account.

Also it’s not just Ayton Bridges still needs his extension

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's ridiculous how offended some of you get when the idea is suggested that Ayton isn't on the same level as Luka or Trae.

Again, I WANT HIM EXTENDED but I won't get upset on his behalf if he's not. He's still got a year under contract. I don't agree with a player dogging it because they aren't happy they haven't been extended early. If he made a stronger case for it before the playoffs then maybe I would be upset but he's the one who has been up and down throughout the last 3 years.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Dude this is turning into a bad comedy routine. It’s like your a Sarver burner account.

Also it’s not just Ayton Bridges still needs his extension
Unbelievable. How in the world do you attack like this? It makes no sense. I get you don't like Sarver, but geez. It's like you're reading all the posts that are the opposite of your opinion as, "blah blah blah Sarver is the best blah blah blah." When nothing anybody has said has even hinted that.

If Bridges WASN'T part of the equation, who knows? Ayton might have already been signed. But hey, it's not your money, so spend away!!

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ayton and Bridges were 12th and 14th in win shares in the entire league last year. They were ahead of Trae Young, Luka Doncic and Booker.

They were the best defensive players in a team that made the finals. They should have been re-signed long ago.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton and Bridges were 12th and 14th in win shares in the entire league last year. They were ahead of Trae Young, Luka Doncic and Booker.

They were the best defensive players in a team that made the finals. They should have been re-signed long ago.

I probably want Bridges signed more than Ayton but I think most people knew that would take more time since his deal isn't just demanding the max, even if he did make that request that is unreasonable for the sort of player he is and I wouldn't blame the Suns for waiting until he's restricted to match an offer. Chances are we'd probably trade him this year if that was his request and wasn't willing to budge.

You can't pay your #4 player max money unless you're LA or NY and don't need to worry about salaries or luxury tax.

The Warriors are an example of that. They have Steph, Klay, Draymond and Wiggins all making max money and have to let free agents like Oubre walk because they're so far in the luxury tax. They've been lottery bound since they've been that capped out also, which is not much of a coincidence.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unbelievable. How in the world do you attack like this? It makes no sense. I get you don't like Sarver, but geez. It's like you're reading all the posts that are the opposite of your opinion as, "blah blah blah Sarver is the best blah blah blah." When nothing anybody has said has even hinted that.

If Bridges WASN'T part of the equation, who knows? Ayton might have already been signed. But hey, it's not your money, so spend away!!

You honestly think that’s an “attack”

The level of flat out sensitivity some of the grown men have here is insane.

You know what. I am sorry. I apologize to you. Your feelings are valid and I want you to know your voice has been heard. I will take this conversation into account the next time I feel like launching into a horrible vicious tirade on this board like the one you quoted.

Again I apologize if you could ever find it in your heart to forgive it would mean a lot to me.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I probably want Bridges signed more than Ayton but I think most people knew that would take more time since his deal isn't just demanding the max, even if he did make that request that is unreasonable for the sort of player he is and I wouldn't blame the Suns for waiting until he's restricted to match an offer. Chances are we'd probably trade him this year if that was his request and wasn't willing to budge.

You can't pay your #4 player max money unless you're LA or NY and don't need to worry about salaries or luxury tax.

The Warriors are an example of that. They have Steph, Klay, Draymond and Wiggins all making max money and have to let free agents like Oubre walk because they're so far in the luxury tax. They've been lottery bound since they've been that capped out also, which is not much of a coincidence.

I really doubt the Warriors are heart broken over having to let Kelly Oubre walk.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Win shares are only an important stat when comparing players on teams with similar amounts of wins. Comparing win shares between Bridges/Ayton against Luka and Trae who are on less talented teams that won less games doesn't really say anything. Win shares are essentially the portion of your team's wins that you get credit for. The more wins your team has the more win shares there are to split between the players on the team.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Ayton's situation will get resolved. It is stupid that the Suns are fighting the idea of him getting a max, the Suns holding out for him to "prove it" has far better odds of him making an all-nba or all-star team that only makes him far more expensive to replace. He will either sign in the next few days or extend next summer.

The gambit with Bridges is far more dangerous. If his agent is asking for the max... maybe not, but if they are squabbling over a 4 year 80 million dollar contract vs a 4 year 100-120 million dollar deal... I suspect they're going to get roasted on that one. Barring injury, Brides will be on one of the all-NBA defense teams next year, while also being a premiere outside shooter. He will get the max. If we can get him for less than that now, we need to jump all over it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You honestly think that’s an “attack”

The level of flat out sensitivity some of the grown men have here is insane.

You know what. I am sorry. I apologize to you. Your feelings are valid and I want you to know your voice has been heard. I will take this conversation into account the next time I feel like launching into a horrible vicious tirade on this board like the one you quoted.

Again I apologize if you could ever find it in your heart to forgive it would mean a lot to me.
Mature response. Kudos.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I think Ayton's situation will get resolved. It is stupid that the Suns are fighting the idea of him getting a max, the Suns holding out for him to "prove it" has far better odds of him making an all-nba or all-star team that only makes him far more expensive to replace. He will either sign in the next few days or extend next summer.

The gambit with Bridges is far more dangerous. If his agent is asking for the max... maybe not, but if they are squabbling over a 4 year 80 million dollar contract vs a 4 year 100-120 million dollar deal... I suspect they're going to get roasted on that one. Barring injury, Brides will be on one of the all-NBA defense teams next year, while also being a premiere outside shooter. He will get the max. If we can get him for less than that now, we need to jump all over it.
I just cannot understand what they expect to gain by stringing this out. He's obviously angry already about it, and what do they seriously expect to save? This is already a distraction and bad for the team for very little upside.

With Bridges, he always plays, he always plays good D, he's young, and everyone loves him. Again, if it's over 4-5M per year, that's the cost of retaining good young players that could potentially get more expensive.

Bobby's mouth wrote some pretty big checks after the season, time to pay up.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just cannot understand what they expect to gain by stringing this out. He's obviously angry already about it, and what do they seriously expect to save? This is already a distraction and bad for the team for very little upside.

With Bridges, he always plays, he always plays good D, he's young, and everyone loves him. Again, if it's over 4-5M per year, that's the cost of retaining good young players that could potentially get more expensive.

Bobby's mouth wrote some pretty big checks after the season, time to pay up.
I'm going to be disappointed in Sarver if the major holdup on DA's contract is anything other than option years. If Ayton's agent is demanding a player option year for the 5th (or the 4th and 5th), I have no problem with them holding firm against it. We have him for 2 more seasons and there is no way he's going to play that 5th year without a long term deal (IMO).

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Any thoughts on Ayton demanding a 4th or 5th year player option at this point are pure speculation.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson