Suns updates and discussion for the 2021-22 season

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How hard could it be? We just need a Tim Duncan like player.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How hard could it be? We just need a Tim Duncan like player.

Actually, all we need is a player like Bobby Portis, Serge Ibaka, Jeff Green, JaMychal Green, Trey Lyles, Thaddeus Young, LaMarcus Aldridge, Blake Griffin or even Paul Millsap.

Just a serviceable true power forward who can contribute 15-20 minutes per game and not leave Ayton or McGee to play one-on-three in the paint all game.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, all we need is a player like Bobby Portis, Serge Ibaka, Jeff Green, JaMychal Green, Trey Lyles, Thaddeus Young, LaMarcus Aldridge, Blake Griffin or even Paul Millsap.

Just a serviceable true power forward who can contribute 15-20 minutes per game and not leave Ayton or McGee to play one-on-three in the paint all game.

The backup power forward is always greener on the other side.

The difference between Cameron Johnson and some of those guys is so negligible I doubt if that swap would even win us a single game. The problem isn't that our starter is weak or our backup is weak, the problem is that neither of them are plus players.

Turning Crowder or Cam into a below average power forward does not change our reality - a few of the very unavailable ones would but Milsap, Lyles, Green and Green are such marginal improvements as to be meaningless most nights (maybe every night). Young is available and could make a difference but he's the only reasonable target from your list IMO.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The backup power forward is always greener on the other side.

The difference between Cameron Johnson and some of those guys is so negligible I doubt if that swap would even win us a single game. The problem isn't that our starter is weak or our backup is weak, the problem is that neither of them are plus players.

Turning Crowder or Cam into a below average power forward does not change our reality - a few of the very unavailable ones would but Milsap, Lyles, Green and Green are such marginal improvements as to be meaningless most nights (maybe every night). Young is available and could make a difference but he's the only reasonable target from your list IMO.

The difference between Cam Johnson and the guys you bolded is 17 to 47 pounds.

Does it occur to you why Ayton was so darn gassed in the Finals? He needs help.

This team needs a B A N G E R at the 4, or else another rim protector or athlete there. Badly. Last year, especially in the Finals, made that crystal clear. It is the one piece we need to get over the top, so the fact that there is no effort whatsoever to acquire it, especially with at least $10 million in cap exceptions left on the table, frustrates the hell out of me. If they at least TRIED to fill the hole, and it just didn't work out, I could accept that. But to leave all of the minutes at the 4 to a small forward and a shooting guard is just pure lunacy, in my opinion. The only thing more insane, in my opinion, would be to count on the extremely awkward and uncoordinated Jalen Smith at that position after he looked horrible in the G League and Summer League.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The difference between Cam Johnson and the guys you bolded is 17 to 47 pounds.

Does it occur to you why Ayton was so darn gassed in the Finals? He needs help.

This team needs a B A N G E R at the 4, or else another rim protector or athlete there. Badly. Last year, especially in the Finals, made that crystal clear. It is the one piece we need to get over the top, so the fact that there is no effort whatsoever to acquire it, especially with at least $10 million in cap exceptions left on the table, frustrates the hell out of me. If they at least TRIED to fill the hole, and it just didn't work out, I could accept that. But to leave all of the minutes at the 4 to a small forward and a shooting guard is just pure lunacy, in my opinion. The only thing more insane, in my opinion, would be to count on the extremely awkward and uncoordinated Jalen Smith at that position after he looked horrible in the G League and Summer League.
If only the Suns did what you find acceptable... trading Paul in the preseason for, literally, anything... signing Taj Gibson over Crowder... waiving Cam Johnson because he shouldn't be allowed on an NBA court...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker on the cover of KICKS 24.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

That's what I've always said just a serviceable 4 with exp. was kidding

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sports betting opens in Arizona today.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get ready for PHNX Sports.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those missing Lindsey Smith.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Johnson has changed agents.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cotton Fitzsimmons will always live on in the memory of Suns fans.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm glad she's still a part of the Suns in some fashion as far as she shows up and makes appearance that Cotton would have. Like when they inducted Nash in the ROH, she was there in Cotton's spot. They had almost all other ROH inductees except KJ and Barkley. I remember Nash hugging her and thanking her for being there.

Even as a young fan who missed Cotton's real heyday with the Suns, the organization has always treated him as a legend. It helped show me he was important and inspired me to learn about him. I'm glad it's continued on with a new owner. Of course Cotton and Jerry had a personal relationship of sorts, as well as professional, but Sarver has tried embracing the entire history of the franchise rather than ignoring it like some owners do. Its like the teams didn't exist prior to their purchase.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad she's still a part of the Suns in some fashion as far as she shows up and makes appearance that Cotton would have. Like when they inducted Nash in the ROH, she was there in Cotton's spot. They had almost all other ROH inductees except KJ and Barkley. I remember Nash hugging her and thanking her for being there.

Even as a young fan who missed Cotton's real heyday with the Suns, the organization has always treated him as a legend. It helped show me he was important and inspired me to learn about him. I'm glad it's continued on with a new owner. Of course Cotton and Jerry had a personal relationship of sorts, as well as professional, but Sarver has tried embracing the entire history of the franchise rather than ignoring it like some owners do. Its like the teams didn't exist prior to their purchase.

I never saw Cotton anything but upbeat and willing to talk to the everyday fan. He was a treasure.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

My all-time favorite Suns coach (though I still curse him for leading the Kansas City Kings to an upset of the Suns in the 1981 playoffs)...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some partial plan packages available for Suns games.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Johnson appears on the Phnx Suns Podcast. He talks about dunking and other stuff.

The interview with Cam starts at about the 18:50 mark.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to Flex From Jersey for joining a weekly segment on PHNX Sports called 'The Flex Appeal.' It will provide information on the Phoenix Suns.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The above podcast is scheduled every Wednesday.