Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stanley Johnson agrees to deal with Bulls.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I didn't think he would last long. Hopefully the Suns have their eye on another player.

It is starting to seem as though James Jones and/or Robert Sarver are refusing to fill the need at power forward out of some sort of stubborn principle. Sad to say, this is starting to look a heck of a lot like the 2005 offseason...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is starting to seem as though James Jones and/or Robert Sarver are refusing to fill the need at power forward out of some sort of stubborn principle. Sad to say, this is starting to look a heck of a lot like the 2005 offseason...
Nobody Chicken Little's like you do.

Do you really believe that a very undersized power forward (Cam's weight but shorter) solves our need at the PF spot? I prefer the guy that played for our summer league team though I wouldn't have minded if we gave this guy a chance but I doubt either one of them would change our fortune this season as much as an empty slot might.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe James Jones will add another player this season but I'm uncertain when or how. It could be a free agent or via a trade. IMO, he left a roster spot open for that possibility. I think he has an eye on some players.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

They want Thad Young.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I believe James Jones will add another player this season but I'm uncertain when or how. It could be a free agent or via a trade. IMO, he left a roster spot open for that possibility. I think he has an eye on some players.

And in the meantime the roster has a gaping hole that will cost us a number of games. Besides, how long have you been saying you think he has an eye on some players? Training camp is right around the corner.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They want Thad Young.

They SAY they want Thad Young, but either Thad Young is unattainable or their actions don't match their words. Either way, we have less than a full roster, and the closest thing we have to a power forward is Jae Crowder, followed by...nobody...again...

Sarver also said he wanted Joe Johnson back in 2004 and 2005.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And in the meantime the roster has a gaping hole that will cost us a number of games.
You mean like how that gaping hole cost us a number of games last year? We have a starting power forward, Jae Crowder. We have a backup power forward, Cameron Johnson. I wouldn't mind improving either spot but gaping hole? That's an invention of your mind. Power Forward is a minor weakness for us. Every team has strengths and weaknesses, assuming decent health our weakness isn't all that weak.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They SAY they want Thad Young, but either Thad Young is unattainable or their actions don't match their words. Either way, we have less than a full roster, and the closest thing we have to a power forward is Jae Crowder, followed by...nobody...again...

Or they're not stupid enough to overpay to get him and are hoping San Antonio will accept our offer. And I don't think "they" actually say it, we're hearing nothing from the front office as far as I know.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

The Spurs are waiting to see if they can get better offers than Saric/Stix/2nd before the start of camp (JMO).

The Suns made a fair offer to JJ in the summer of 04’ after having just signed Nash a 6-year deal. They would’ve matched a max deal the next summer. When he made it clear he wanted out they thought they could replace him by committee with Raja and Michael Finley. What that has to do with their pursuit of Thad Young 15 years later is beyond me.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Spurs are waiting to see if they can get better offers than Saric/Stix/2nd before the start of camp (JMO).

The Suns made a fair offer to JJ in the summer of 04’ after having just signed Nash a 6-year deal. They would’ve matched a max deal the next summer. When he made it clear he wanted out they thought they could replace him by committee with Raja and Michael Finley. What that has to do with their pursuit of Thad Young 15 years later is beyond me.

Theoretically if this is the trade, the Suns would still have an open roster spot. They are at 14 right now. The Spurs could decide to shop Thad Young until the trade deadline for a better offer.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You mean like how that gaping hole cost us a number of games last year? We have a starting power forward, Jae Crowder. We have a backup power forward, Cameron Johnson. I wouldn't mind improving either spot but gaping hole? That's an invention of your mind. Power Forward is a minor weakness for us. Every team has strengths and weaknesses, assuming decent health our weakness isn't all that weak.

It cost us the championship last year. Anyone who saw the Finals should concur with that basic fact. And we did nothing to address it.

And for the last time, since he could not keep the weight he put on for the bubble, Cam Johnson is NOT a power forward. At 6'8", 210 pounds, he is a tall shooting guard.

When your starting power forward is a short small forward and your back-up is a tall shooting guard, that is a major hole.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

The offer to Joe Johnson was anything but fair. It was a lowball, just as Sarver lowballed Bridges and Ayton this offseason. (And I don't think Ayton deserves the Max, but 5 years $125 million when he is eligible for 5 years $168 million is ridiculous.)

And Michael Finley was in Dallas.

And the similarity is that both times we had a team on the cusp of a championship, and instead to going for it, Sarver sat back and penny-pinched...which is why we have an open roster spot, no two-way contracts, a partially unused MLE, an entirely unused BAE and no application for a Disabled Player Exception

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Theoretically if this is the trade, the Suns would still have an open roster spot. They are at 14 right now. The Spurs could decide to shop Thad Young until the trade deadline for a better offer.

And with the improvements of the Lakers, Jazz, Mavericks and Blazers and return to health of the Warriors, Nuggets and Grizzlies, if this team waits until the trade deadline to do something at power forward, we can kiss home court advantage in the playoffs goodbye.

And your observation regarding the open roster spot is quite noted. The only explanation at this point is that Sarver is going cheap...again.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The offer to Joe Johnson was anything but fair. It was a lowball, just as Sarver lowballed Bridges and Ayton this offseason. (And I don't think Ayton deserves the Max, but 5 years $125 million when he is eligible for 5 years $168 million is ridiculous.)

And Michael Finley was in Dallas.

And the similarity is that both times we had a team on the cusp of a championship, and instead to going for it, Sarver sat back and penny-pinched...which is why we have an open roster spot, no two-way contracts, a partially unused MLE, an entirely unused BAE and no application for a Disabled Player Exception

The Suns offered JJ $5m less than max. How is that not fair? Keep in mind this is before his breakout year with Nash/D’Antoni.

Also: https://www.espn.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2147720

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If that trade is made though then they start expanding the list of who would be a candidate to fill a roster spot since they'd have more depth upfront.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns offered JJ $5m less than max. How is that not fair? Keep in mind this is before his breakout year with Nash/D’Antoni.

Also: https://www.espn.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2147720

No, they offered Joe Johnson $5M less than Joe Johnson requested, and Sarver wouldn't budge. And yes it was before his breakout season, but everyone could see that breakout season coming. Sarver was just too damn conservative...as always. Then by the time Joe Johnson predictably earned his Max contract, he predictably wanted no part of Sarver, so Sarver couldn't match it even if he wanted to (which of course he didn't).

I had really hoped Sarver had learned his lesson. I was praying heading into this offseason that Sarver would indeed learn from his past mistakes and not repeat them. With how this season went, with millions left on the table unspent and still no power forward, that hope is now long gone.

Sarver will do just enough to sell seats, but he will never do what it takes to win a championship.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dappy1