Landry Shamet traded to suns for Javon Carter and 29th pick

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If all they saw of Jalen Smith was in line with what we all saw of Jalen Smith, I highly doubt they have ANY expectations of him this season. If they saw something more from him than we did, great, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him released or included in a trade to a rebuilding team. He might have a big future in the NBA but if so, it looks to be several years away.
Why would they release a guy they took #10 last year? We’ve all said it ad nauseum on here that bugs take a while to develop. Stix was on a team competing for a championship. There weren’t minutes to give him. I suspect he makes some strides this season and gets some minutes. Likely not a lot.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I watched all the pre game and post game coverage and many times you can see the coaches working on different jump shot moves with Stix. It seems apparent to me they are putting in a lot of time working with him on his shot. There weren't any minutes for him or for Tyshon. I would not be surprised if we see more minutes this year for both, but still not that many. Tyshon had lots of guys ahead of him with experience. Stix is in a position with less guys ahead of him, so I would guess we would get more minutes from him. Two small plays I remember from Stix that were positive, AD tried to back down Stix two trips down the floor in a row when we played the Lakers early in the year and Stix held his own. In late minutes in games, Stix had some blocked shots that were straight up on defense on his man. There's some snippets of talent you can see. That's a long way from bringing it consistently every time on offense and defense, but his interviews he seems like a hard worker. Tyshon, I literally did not see enough minutes at all to get an impression one way or another. Totally a blank canvass. He has size. I would love for us to have a big guard ball handler.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched all the pre game and post game coverage and many times you can see the coaches working on different jump shot moves with Stix. It seems apparent to me they are putting in a lot of time working with him on his shot. There weren't any minutes for him or for Tyshon. I would not be surprised if we see more minutes this year for both, but still not that many. Tyshon had lots of guys ahead of him with experience. Stix is in a position with less guys ahead of him, so I would guess we would get more minutes from him. Two small plays I remember from Stix that were positive, AD tried to back down Stix two trips down the floor in a row when we played the Lakers early in the year and Stix held his own. In late minutes in games, Stix had some blocked shots that were straight up on defense on his man. There's some snippets of talent you can see. That's a long way from bringing it consistently every time on offense and defense, but his interviews he seems like a hard worker. Tyshon, I literally did not see enough minutes at all to get an impression one way or another. Totally a blank canvass. He has size. I would love for us to have a big guard ball handler.

Shamet is the same height as Tyshon but not as bulky. He's built like Cam Payne, more on the skinny side but not a twig. He's a solid ball handler so I think he'll fill that role you mentioned of a bigger guard who can handle the ball. I'm not sure about his time in Brooklyn but Philly and the Clippers both tried having him run the point but he's not very adept at that. His ball handling is solid though.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Shamet is the same height as Tyshon but not as bulky. He's built like Cam Payne, more on the skinny side but not a twig. He's a solid ball handler so I think he'll fill that role you mentioned of a bigger guard who can handle the ball. I'm not sure about his time in Brooklyn but Philly and the Clippers both tried having him run the point but he's not very adept at that. His ball handling is solid though.

He's a decent enough secondary ball handler and creator. His problems are shot selection, streakiness shooting and poor defense...not unlike Langston Galloway.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don’t say we could’ve drafted Day’Ron Sharpe, a player in a position of dire need, with our pick….

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's a decent enough secondary ball handler and creator. His problems are shot selection, streakiness shooting and poor defense...not unlike Langston Galloway.
He is nothing like Galloway. Shemet got minutes in prime time matchups while Galloway struggled to get off the bench and mostly played garbage minutes.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He is nothing like Galloway. Shemet got minutes in prime time matchups while Galloway struggled to get off the bench and mostly played garbage minutes.

Their use might have been different, but their strengths and weaknesses are almost identical, except Shamet is a couple of inches taller.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Their use might have been different, but their strengths and weaknesses are almost identical, except Shamet is a couple of inches taller.
You can't make a valid assessment (comparison) based on when both of these players have been utilized on the court. When Galloway has come off the bench prior to garbage minutes he couldn't stay on the court. That's probably the best indicator.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You can't make a valid assessment (comparison) based on when both of these players have been utilized on the court. When Galloway has come off the bench prior to garbage minutes he couldn't stay on the court. That's probably the best indicator.

I didn't exactly see Shamet getting minutes in the Nets' last game of the season, either, after he had a bad Game 6 against the Bucks.

Maybe other coaches just have more patience for poor defense and shot selection and streaky shooting than Monty does.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't exactly see Shamet getting minutes in the Nets' last game of the season, either, after he had a bad Game 6 against the Bucks.

Maybe other coaches just have more patience for poor defense and shot selection and streaky shooting than Monty does.
Well hell that settles it. Cherry picking a game or two is proof positive. The entire season is his body of work and his coach last season had him out there playing against quality opponents for much of the season. Shemet's April is better than any backup guards month we have on our roster. Monty has turned this team around and put players in place to play roles he thinks makes us better. So far so good. I will take his judgment over cherry picking any day. I think Monty is smart enough not to put this team in a position to have to rely on Shemet to do what he isn't good at to win games.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I liked Galloway, but he had literally ZERO good games since his great game vs Detroit. If he played at all.

Comparing him to a player who got minutes in the playoffs is asinine.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked Galloway, but he had literally ZERO good games since his great game vs Detroit. If he played at all.

Comparing him to a player who got minutes in the playoffs is asinine.
Not only that but Monty isn't stupid. He is not going to play Shamet if we get the same production out of him as Galloway. Monty will have his butt on the bench too.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah when I read comparisons like that I don’t even consider responding because imo it’s not even really a difference of opinion bc that’s just flat out wrong.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well hell that settles it. Cherry picking a game or two is proof positive. The entire season is his body of work and his coach last season had him out there playing against quality opponents for much of the season. Shemet's April is better than any backup guards month we have on our roster. Monty has turned this team around and put players in place to play roles he thinks makes us better. So far so good. I will take his judgment over cherry picking any day. I think Monty is smart enough not to put this team in a position to have to rely on Shemet to do what he isn't good at to win games.

How is cherry picking a month any different?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Math? Picking a game over a month of games is a huge difference. Second I said the season was his body of work.

And then you point to his April, which was the only decent month he had, and which made his overall numbers for the season look merely poor, rather than horrible.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And then you point to his April, which was the only decent month he had, and which made his overall numbers for the season look merely poor, rather than horrible.
No that was the best month he had and the point of bringing that up was pointing out none of our backup guards rivaled that month. Again, he played minutes against quality competition all season. Show me where that happened with any of our back up guards.

Your counter was bringing up one game.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
After seeing a few videos. The kid can do things Jevon just couldn't. He's a decent playmaker and has quick Galloway like shot. He's good at getting open for a quick 3.
Will surely help if Cam Payne gets a bag elsewhere.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
After seeing a few videos. The kid can do things Jevon just couldn't. He's a decent playmaker and has quick Galloway like shot. He's good at getting open for a quick 3.
Will surely help if Cam Payne gets a bag elsewhere.

You just described Langston Galloway...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You just described Langston Galloway...
He can shoot the 3? Yeah, sure that's Langston Galloway. He literally gave one specific thing and you come back with Langston Galloway. What about the other 350 players in the NBA that also fit that description?

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Remember that Galloway played in the NBA before this season, and he did put up good numbers on crappy Detroit teams, so if you look past last season and compare Shamet and Galloway they might be more similar production-wise. However I think we need the extra size and defense, so I'm thinking Shamet will give us more than Galloway will. I'd be okay having Galloway on the bench again. Got the impression he is a quality guy that plays his role whatever coach asks of him. Off course, you can't teach size, but he's no Allen Iverson either.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really liked both Shamet and Carter when they were drafted. They were two players I wanted badly. It's odd to see the Suns trade one for the other. Shamet plays great D but not that bulldog annoying D that Carter plays. Shamet is longer than Carter though, so his defense is effective. Shamet has a very sweet stroke. Booker level sweet. His range extends well beyond the three-point line. He also is a good ball-handler and distributor. Better than Carter in both.

The thing about Shamet is that he has the ability to create his own shot off the dribble and he is fairly efficient doing it. He is not nearly as good as Book of course, but its a similar type of game. That is a valuable asset playing with the second team.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I really liked both Shamet and Carter when they were drafted. They were two players I wanted badly. It's odd to see the Suns trade one for the other. Shamet plays great D but not that bulldog annoying D that Carter plays. Shamet is longer than Carter though, so his defense is effective. Shamet has a very sweet stroke. Booker level sweet. His range extends well beyond the three-point line. He also is a good ball-handler and distributor. Better than Carter in both.

The thing about Shamet is that he has the ability to create his own shot off the dribble and he is fairly efficient doing it. He is not nearly as good as Book of course, but its a similar type of game. That is a valuable asset playing with the second team.

Shamet is one of the worst defensive players in the league which is why he’s always been a net negative. He became unplayable in the playoffs because he couldn’t defend and was benched vs Milwaukee in game 7. Dude is straight cheeks but hopefully he can get hot in limited minutes. If he’s playing with Payne we are going to have major issues.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Shamet is one of the worst defensive players in the league which is why he’s always been a net negative. He became unplayable in the playoffs because he couldn’t defend and was benched vs Milwaukee in game 7. Dude is straight cheeks but hopefully he can get hot in limited minutes. If he’s playing with Payne we are going to have major issues.
He wasn't benched in any of the other games. If he's as bad as you say, why did he have 17 minutes per game throughout the playoffs?