Clippers @ Suns Monday WCF game thread 6-28-2021 - Game 5

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda of topic. I don't understand why the Clippers chose to stay in LA and be the ugly step sister when they could have moved to Seattle and owned the city.

Seattle would go crazy to have basketball back. I don't understand it either.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kinda of topic. I don't understand why the Clippers chose to stay in LA and be the ugly step sister when they could have moved to Seattle and owned the city.

Seattle will make a great expansion city or home for a relocated team but the draw of Southern California allows the Clips to sign free agents like Kawhi.

I think they should move further south to San Diego to get out of the Lakers shawdow but also remain in SoCal so they can benefit from those looking for that lifestyle.

They're moving soon to their own arena in Inglewood but I thought they'd want more distance.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker and CP3 have also taken way too many early shot clock threes too.

I'm not saying they haven't taken some shots they shouldn't have, but unless it's late in the game "early in the shot clock" is no longer a bad thing in the NBA. Although if it takes your teammates by surprise, that's a problem since there's no one anticipating a rebound and no one prepared to get back on D.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I hate the way the Suns offense slows down late in these close games with Paul barely crossing half-court in time. Same thing happened against the Lakers. Once he crosses half court he wastes some more time to get into their play. It's the anti-Dantoni, "seven seconds are left" offense.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seattle will make a great expansion city or home for a relocated team but the draw of Southern California allows the Clips to sign free agents like Kawhi.

I think they should move further south to San Diego to get out of the Lakers shawdow but also remain in SoCal so they can benefit from those looking for that lifestyle.

They're moving soon to their own arena in Inglewood but I thought they'd want more distance.
Why did they move from San Diego?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why did they move from San Diego?

I just looked it up, apparently Donald Sterling moved them out of nowhere without NBA approval and fought the league in court over it. San Diego was pretty pissed about it. Ill have to read more, sound interesting from the brief bit I read so far on Wikipedia about how it wasn't with NBA approval.

They were only in San Diego for 6 seasons, from 78-84.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate the way the Suns offense slows down late in these close games with Paul barely crossing half-court in time. Same thing happened against the Lakers. Once he crosses half court he wastes some more time to get into their play. It's the anti-Dantoni, "seven seconds are left" offense.

It's winning basketball though with Chris Paul controlling tempo, time and plays late in the game.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's winning basketball though with Chris Paul controlling tempo, time and plays late in the game.
Technically you are correct since the Suns keep winning. I just seems like a sub-optimal strategy.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I agree with Mainstreet and would add that Paul doesn't waste any time. He may slow things down but he knows exactly why he's doing it. He's playing chess out there each possession. That's part of why he'll go multiple games without a turnover. Its crazy and unmatched as far as I've seen. I've seen others do it for a stretch but CP3 does it for entire games.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technically you are correct since the Suns keep winning. I just seems like a sub-optimal strategy.

With the 24 second clock it's not really slow unless one compares it to some of the SSOL style of offenses today.

The Suns usually stress tempo at the end of quarters and especially at the end of games where every possession counts.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Booker and CP3 have also taken way too many early shot clock threes too.
Part of that may be monty’s doing. Recall that earlier in the playoffs - or maybe it was near the end of the regular season - where book was struggling a bit monty told book to act earlier. If there’s a good shot, take it. With the lane being more heavily populated right now maybe book has that echoing in his ears.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Agreed. We will out work, out scheme, and out free throw teams to death baby.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As a team we averaged 34.6 threes/game in regular season. Against the clippers we are averaging 27.5 threes/game. That’s a really big drop. Almost 21% decrease. Heavily impacted by two games under 30 (26 and 20 in two games), but even in the other two games it was 32 attempts, almost 3 less than our average.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Seems to be working though right?

:shrug:

I'm ok with it and trust CP3

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I just looked it up, apparently Donald Sterling moved them out of nowhere without NBA approval and fought the league in court over it. San Diego was pretty pissed about it. Ill have to read more, sound interesting from the brief bit I read so far on Wikipedia about how it wasn't with NBA approval.

They were only in San Diego for 6 seasons, from 78-84.

Stirling also pulled out of a potential move to Anaheim in the 90s, where they had played some home games away from the LA Sports Arena. I think that would have been a better idea than sharing Staples with the Lakers and Kings. The Pond was still relatively new and they might have carved out a different regional fan base. I’m sure Laker fans in OC wouldn’t switch but a generation of kids might have grown up going to games.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of that may be monty’s doing. Recall that earlier in the playoffs - or maybe it was near the end of the regular season - where book was struggling a bit monty told book to act earlier. If there’s a good shot, take it. With the lane being more heavily populated right now maybe book has that echoing in his ears.

I don't think Monty meant 3's. When I heard him on the radio he was talking about getting to their mid-range spots or when they make their first move to the basic take the early opening instead of trying to drive all the way to the basket then kick it out resetting the offense again. I think in general this team has a green light to shoot 3's.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yeah he was passing up a lot of opportunities in the first couple games against Denver and averaged just 19.5 points. Then Monty told him to just take the first good look and he averaged 31 in the next 2 games.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
As a team we averaged 34.6 threes/game in regular season. Against the clippers we are averaging 27.5 threes/game. That’s a really big drop. Almost 21% decrease. Heavily impacted by two games under 30 (26 and 20 in two games), but even in the other two games it was 32 attempts, almost 3 less than our average.
I think we have to give it up to the Clips here. Their close out defense has been awesome. Especially in the corners. Mikal, Cam and Jae are not getting the looks they are used to.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we have to give it up to the Clips here. Their close out defense has been awesome. Especially in the corners. Mikal, Cam and Jae are not getting the looks they are used to.

Their defense has been incredible but much of it involves bumping, holding and redirecting perimeter players which was supposedly refereed out of the game years ago. It's much easier to close out on shooters (or prevent clean passes) if contact is keeping shooters from getting to their spots on time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I give Lue mad props for designing a hellacious defense. But there’s no way a team can take away everything. Right now they’re closing out corner threes effectively and taking away a lot of the midrange shots we thrive on. Monty has to identify the crack in the defense. There has to be one. So far he hasn’t (90 and 84 points in last two games - good thing our defense bailed us out last game).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard