OT: Moving from Illinois to Phoenix area. Suggestions??

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
New construction is just as competitive. With the lumber shortage, prices have escalated and most builders are doing lotteries just to get the lot. Outer fringes of the valley - not as much (ie, Queen Creek, Surprise, etc).

Lots of "institutional investors" are buying entire apt complex for their portfolios. There was an entire subdivision in Houston that was purchased by BlackRock (before it was even finished) just to rent them out.

Crazy ...

There is no lumber shortage, per se.

There are huge tariffs on Canadian lumber to protect inefficient American producers, which leads to shortage and escalating costs.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There is no lumber shortage, per se.

There are huge tariffs on Canadian lumber to protect inefficient American producers, which leads to shortage and escalating costs.

Latest I've seen is that the cost of lumber is increasing the average new build by 34k.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is true. Al
Latest I've seen is that the cost of lumber is increasing the average new build by 34k.
That is true

but Quebec cards statement is also true

The tariffs imposed by the last administration combined with pent up demand are the cause

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry... THIS Administration is also pursuing punitive tariffs.

He hasn't rolled back the tariffs, but hasn't added any new ones (although they are examing it).

But tariffs aren't the major source of the price increase - demand, and Some sawmills haven't reopened post-covid

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Move north of the valley IMO.

Or way west.

My advice is North though. South, East, or West make it very hard to get to the other side of the valley.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Phoenix is a sweltering hell hole for 8 months out of the year. Just think...without AC, it would literally be uninhabitable.

Well, that's a bit of hyperbole, lol. It's more like mid-May to mid-Sept when it's bad. Plenty of people are here during the summers and live to tell about it.

I have friends in Idaho Falls and they complain that it's too hot during summer.

We bought a condo on the Oregon Coast last winter and I've been here since mid-May. Yday the high was 61 - went to Corvallis and it was 91 there (and humid). Couldn't wait to hightail it outta there, lol.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
We looked at Prescott, Flagstaff and other parts north. So pricey - you don't get much for your money in Flag, and traffic on weekends heading north is horrendous.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Or way west.

My advice is North though. South, East, or West make it very hard to get to the other side of the valley.

If your gonna live Far North Valley...you might as well go to Cottonwood! Mingus Mountain area is beautiful, cheaper, and about 10-15 degrees cooler.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Anthem is far enough but close enough in the north valley

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Or way west.

Agree with this. Along the 303 between I-17 and I-10, it is literally exploding (I know... what part of the valley isn't!). A friend of mine is looking in a new development off the 303 in Surprise, called Sterling Grove. It's a Toll Brothers community... Seems like you can get some real nice value in terms of pricing & size/quality/amenities of homes!

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well, that's a bit of hyperbole, lol. It's more like mid-May to mid-Sept when it's bad. Plenty of people are here during the summers and live to tell about it.

I have friends in Idaho Falls and they complain that it's too hot during summer.

We bought a condo on the Oregon Coast last winter and I've been here since mid-May. Yday the high was 61 - went to Corvallis and it was 91 there (and humid). Couldn't wait to hightail it outta there, lol.
Lol, that’s funny. You said his statement was an exaggeration but yet you bought a condo out of state to get out of the summer heat.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You get 4 seasons...and I never understood what that meant until I got out of AZ....where you get Warm and Hot.

We are having a "heat wave" right now....and that means mid-high 90's for a couple weeks. No humidity, and it still cools down into the low 60's at night.

Winter- Dec-Feb... Not much snow...maybe a couple times a year. Cold, but you put on a jacket!

Spring - March -May...Absolutely beautiful. In the 70's through May! So much to do outdoors.

Summer - June-August - Hot, but not unbearable. High 90's...maybe crack 100 once or twice...but its not a giant concrete slab like Phoenix...so it actually cools down in the morning and at night.

Fall - Sept-Nov - Super fun time here. Lots of harvest stuff, cool crisp weather. You're wearing a jacket on Halloween, but in AZ your be sweating.

Honestly, I love it. I think back to HS football practice in Tempe...in 120 degrees...with navy blue helmets...and I honestly wonder how we didnt drop dead. When I go visit my mom in the summer, I have to buy a room AC from walmart just to sleep....In Boise, I open my windows and get fresh air.

I didn't think weather would be such a factor for me until I got out of AZ and realized how bad it is. If you can snowbird in AZ and be out by March...then great. If you are looking to live somewhere full time I think you will find that Phoenix is not what its made out to be.
What part for you live in?

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah
We looked at Prescott, Flagstaff and other parts north. So pricey - you don't get much for your money in Flag, and traffic on weekends heading north is horrendous.

Yeah, but if you drink the water, it runs downhill. Think about that one:D:rolleyes:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You get 4 seasons...and I never understood what that meant until I got out of AZ....where you get Warm and Hot.

We are having a "heat wave" right now....and that means mid-high 90's for a couple weeks. No humidity, and it still cools down into the low 60's at night.

Winter- Dec-Feb... Not much snow...maybe a couple times a year. Cold, but you put on a jacket!

Spring - March -May...Absolutely beautiful. In the 70's through May! So much to do outdoors.

Summer - June-August - Hot, but not unbearable. High 90's...maybe crack 100 once or twice...but its not a giant concrete slab like Phoenix...so it actually cools down in the morning and at night.

Fall - Sept-Nov - Super fun time here. Lots of harvest stuff, cool crisp weather. You're wearing a jacket on Halloween, but in AZ your be sweating.

Honestly, I love it. I think back to HS football practice in Tempe...in 120 degrees...with navy blue helmets...and I honestly wonder how we didnt drop dead. When I go visit my mom in the summer, I have to buy a room AC from walmart just to sleep....In Boise, I open my windows and get fresh air.

I didn't think weather would be such a factor for me until I got out of AZ and realized how bad it is. If you can snowbird in AZ and be out by March...then great. If you are looking to live somewhere full time I think you will find that Phoenix is not what its made out to be.
This is interesting to me. I grew up in Phoenix, did my schooling back East in Boston and DC, returned to Phoenix for 5 years and then move to SoCal. Now, I wouldn’t trade SoCal for any area of the country. It’s perfect. But it’s way too expensive for most people to live the way they want. But as someone who has lived the four seasons I know it wasn’t for me. Shoveling snow just sucks. In fact, living in it instead of visiting it for fun, sucks. The heat of Phoenix is really something else - I was just there this past weekend and it was 115-122 the whole time - but you adapt to it. And from may to mid-oct you’re either in AC or a pool. But the rest of the year is pretty awesome. And lots to do within an hour to two hour drive.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Phoenix is a two hour flight from a lot of cool places. San Francisco, Cabo, park city, Tahoe, Denver. But if it came down to living on the far outskirts of the Valley vs somewhere else, I’d seriously look at somewhere else.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
moved to SoCal 6 years ago after spending 27 years in the valley of the sun.

Six months of relentless heat is not for the weak. Open your electric bill on Monday otherwise it could alter your mood for the weekend:)

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So all of this is wrong.

If you can afford to live in Scottsdale do so

15 mile park with free fishing, biking,.sports, and nature

Multiple spring training teams

Free public transportation

The mecca of restaurants and night life

Festivals all the time

Near immunity to housing devaluation

Excellent golf courses

Scottsdale is a destination for a reason

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So all of this is wrong.

If you can afford to live in Scottsdale do so

15 mile park with free fishing, biking,.sports, and nature

Multiple spring training teams

Free public transportation

The mecca of restaurants and night life

Festivals all the time

Near immunity to housing devaluation

Excellent golf courses

Scottsdale is a destination for a reason

Yea...in March.

All the outdoor stuff and fantastic golf course mean nothing when it is over 100 degrees at 6am.

Scottdale is a snowbird destination for a reason.

Oh, and is also known as the d-bag capital of AZ...so have fun at those bars.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
My office is in Scottsdale - It's probably the part of the metro I have the least interest in living in - serious hard pass for what I value

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea...in March.

All the outdoor stuff and fantastic golf course mean nothing when it is over 100 degrees at 6am.

Okay Captain Triple Poster

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea...in March.

It is almost never 100 at 6 am - I walk my dogs in the morning on the greenbelt, and it is still nice.

Only a few months are hard to handle.

Idaho is the white supremacist capital of the USA - should we judge all of Idaho by that? Where Sanders, and where I live is far removed from Snotsdale. And the bars in our area aren't the ones you are condemning

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave