Trade - straight up Watson for Murray ?

Would you be in favor of a Watson for Murray trade?

• Yes, even though Watson would cost us more for a couple years

Votes: 37 38.5%
  • No, prefer our team as it is with Murray as our leader

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Trade is unfair and would never work as a straight up deal

Votes: 9 9.4%

• Total voters

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that it likely isn't going to happen. I agree that Watson is worth more than Murray, but Murray for Watson straight up is the best offer the Texans could ever get.

Yea anyone that wouldn’t take Watson over Kyler is out of their mind... Watson is clearly the better player and one helluva QB.... I understand salary etc etc.... but we just hope Kyler can become what Watson already is. Hope runs to deep in this fan base.... Just like the people claiming Larry is still worth 11 million and can be a valuable productive football player moving forward.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Both sides of this argument are valid IMO.

The big questions IMO are:
a: Do we think Kyler has top 5 QB in him? Leadership, demeanor, health, talent.
b: Because Watson is only 25 and is already a top 5 QB, when is our peak for this team?

I also think this question matters:
c: Which QB DO YOU THINK will have a longer more productive career? Health, talent degradation, etc.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both sides of this argument are valid IMO.

The big questions IMO are:
a: Do we think Kyler has top 5 QB in him? Leadership, demeanor, health, talent.
b: Because Watson is only 25 and is already a top 5 QB, when is our peak for this team?

I also think this question matters:
c: Which QB DO YOU THINK will have a longer more productive career? Health, talent degradation, etc.

personally I’d bet on Watson.... size... and no lingering thoughts of another sport possibly luring him away....

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yea anyone that wouldn’t take Watson over Kyler is out of their mind... Watson is clearly the better player and one helluva QB.... I understand salary etc etc.... but we just hope Kyler can become what Watson already is. Hope runs to deep in this fan base.... Just like the people claiming Larry is still worth 11 million and can be a valuable productive football player moving forward.

These two things are true:

1 - Houston ain't getting anything in the short/long term better than Kyler. They have no leverage, they have no other legit young stars available.

2 - Watson is the better qb with fewer question marks than Kyler.

Murray to Houston is the only way to salvage the loss of Watson.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I agree that it likely isn't going to happen. I agree that Watson is worth more than Murray, but Murray for Watson straight up is the best offer the Texans could ever get.

Depends on what Miami/LA would be willing to add to Tua/Herbert. Shannon Sharpe said it would take Murray, two 1’s and Budda Baker. Apparently you only need to be an ex-player/loud mouth to get a tv gig.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watson is a better player and only two years older than Kyler.

Watt left Houston not Watson. Don't get that twisted.
That's your opinion, and that's fine. Up to this past season, Watson has played with better coaching & more talent than Murray has. IMO, Murray is the better player now, and in the future. Many may argue that point, and that's OK.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Because of salary considerations, the Cardinals would be INSANE to offer anything more than straight up. In fact, if I'm Keim, I'm pointing out that Watson has basically said he doesn't want to play another down with the Texans and his salary is quite high now. I'm asking for draft picks from the Texans to offset the lesser salary cap flexibility that you would get with having Watson on your roster.

I'd probably think about the trade:

Murray

for

Watson, 2nd, and 3rd.

Anything less and I wouldn't even consider it. That's why I think this trade has virtually no chance of ever happening because I think at the end of the day, Murray's potential is similar to Watson's potential, and Murray is significantly cheaper for a few more years.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That's your opinion, and that's fine. Up to this past season, Watson has played with better coaching & more talent than Murray has. IMO, Murray is the better player now, and in the future. Many may argue that point, and that's OK.
I don't understand how anyone can determine Kyler is a better QB than Watson right now. Outside of "because that is what I think".

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Depends on what Miami/LA would be willing to add to Tua/Herbert. Shannon Sharpe said it would take Murray, two 1’s and Budda Baker. Apparently you only need to be an ex-player/loud mouth to get a tv gig.
Tua is worthless in any deal. Herbert would get it done as well.

Herbert (they wouldn't because of the years left)
Lamar
Murray
JAllen (though they wouldn't do it)

and than is pretty close to being the list. Rodgers, Wilson, etc are non-starters as they wouldn't accept the move.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Tua and 12 1sts just mean you are going to have to sue those picks to get a top QB and hope that player is not a bust.

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
I can't imagine Kyler would agree to go to that dumpster fire. I could easily see him going to play baseball instead if he wasn't enamored with the idea of playing for the Texans.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't understand how anyone can determine Kyler is a better QB than Watson right now. Outside of "because that is what I think".
For me, it's simple. Murray is quicker, faster, and has a quicker release than Watson. Watson has a long release, that will only get longer as he ages. Watson has had the more serious injuries & actually looks for hits. We drafted Murray & he's improved in both seasons he's been here. With more weapons, he's far more dangerous than Watson IMO. Again, you're certainly welcome to believe otherwise. And, in a few more seasons, you may end up being correct. For now, I'd like this organization to build around the solid decision they made to draft Murray. Nothing against Watson. Very good QB, solid person, but we blew our chance to draft him. We drafted Murray. I've been watching this organization operate for 57 years, and I'm emotionally exhausted from the never ending QB carousel. We drafted an exciting, young, extremely talented kid to be our QB into the foreseeable future. Stop the insanity & stay the course.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Every team in the league that isn’t the Chiefs would trade their QB for Watson.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
We have a team finally that is worth our love and full attention. We would be crazy to disrupt those good vibes and energy. If we ever make to the super bowl or not with this team, they finally deserve our full support. We have most of the big pieces for once, all we need now is for Keim to be smart enough to fill in the holes properly and for all our coaches to step up and do their dang jobs.

The thing that would scare me regarding losing Kyler is if the Texans offered to trade straight up along with paying some of Watson's salary for 3 years if Kyler stayed with the Texans and didn't bail on them. Of course it's good that that would/should never happen.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
We drafted an exciting, young, extremely talented kid to be our QB into the foreseeable future. Stop the insanity & stay the course.

The same defense could have been used as a rationale to keep Rosen!

Watson is what we want Murray to be, and comes with far fewer question marks. If it's a straight up trade, there's no doubt that most NFL people view Watson as the better long term investment.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Chargers aren't giving up Herbert for Watson. Herbert is going to be an absolute super star. Also, I think Murray will end up being better than Watson...he's already a better thrower than Watson.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
You can also argue that between 2019 and 2020 Nuk was worth 6 wins to the Texans and 3 wins to the Cardinals.
Rodgers, yea, but you gotta factor age.

Wilson? Not anymore, even not factoring age.

Watson lost Nuk and lost 6 more games in 2020 than in 2019. Wilson hasn't even ever had a losing season, with arguably worse receiving talent (until lately) in his career.

The only reason Green Bay or Seattle would even consider a trade is because their QB's aren't happy, either, with their current teams. On talent alone, Houston would have to give up more than Watson to get Rodgers or Wilson, IMO.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can also argue that between 2019 and 2020 Nuk was worth 6 wins to the Texans and 3 wins to the Cardinals.

Watson lost Nuk and lost 6 more games in 2020 than in 2019. Wilson hasn't even ever had a losing season, with arguably worse receiving talent (until lately) in his career.

The only reason Green Bay or Seattle would even consider a trade is because their QB's aren't happy, either, with their current teams. On talent alone, Houston would have to give up more than Watson to get Rodgers or Wilson, IMO.
Watson has nothing but bozos in his front office & a lot of garbage surrounding him on the field including both coaches & players. Watson this past season arguably had a better season than any Wilson season ever. That was with a bunch of guys you could get off of this website as his WRs, & OLine(sans Tunsil).

If we’re just going off of talent alone & not age, Mahomes, Brady, & Rodgers would be the only QBs worth more.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
On talent alone, Houston would have to give up more than Watson to get Rodgers or Wilson, IMO.

Dude, you realize that Rodgers is nearly done, and Wilson is on the back 9, right? Watson is worth far more than both Wilson or Rodgers and could play another 10 years. (Ignoring the fact that Watson is already as good or better than both Wilson/Rodgers)

The lack of respect for Watson around here is crazy.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Dude, you realize that Rodgers is nearly done, and Wilson is on the back 9, right? Watson is worth far more than both Wilson or Rodgers and could play another 10 years. (Ignoring the fact that Watson is already as good or better than both Wilson/Rodgers)

The lack of respect for Watson around here is crazy.

FWIW, Wilson is 32 and is on record for saying he'll play to 45, like TB12. Also, I said on talent...If Seattle or Green Bay were to make a trade for Watson, it would be due to age of current QB's, not their talent.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
FWIW, Wilson is 32 and is on record for saying he'll play to 45, like TB12. .

Care to wager as to whether or not ol Russ will play until 45? He's sick of getting hit at 32!

Also, I said on talent...If Seattle or Green Bay were to make a trade for Watson, it would be due to age of current QB's, not their talent.

You're wrong on talent too, Watson is every bit as talented as Wilson/Rodgers right now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard