That's My QB!

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I wasn't even following football at age 10. At least not enough to this degree. Not until I got into middle school did I start. Since my father wasn't a sports guy, he was a car guy, I never had any real exposure to sports and living on a farm where hunting and fishing were your main forms of entertainment and you got one station (CBS, thank god they had Gilligan's Island, Lost in Space and The Munsters as well as Mr. Ed) until I got to middle school and we had Phy. Ed. Well I fell in love with baseball in gym class (baseball was my passion, could not wait for the Sporting News to come in the mail each week, until all the strikes and rule changes) and the World Series in 67 was the Red Sox and Cardinals. Well I rooted for the Cardinals. Now not knowing anything about pro sports I assumed these same guys would then be playing football once the series was over so I started rooting for the Cardinal football team, and as they say the rest is history, been following them ever since. By the way I know a little bit more about pro sports now, not much but more. :D

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wasn't even following football at age 10. At least not enough to this degree. Not until I got into middle school did I start. Since my father wasn't a sports guy, he was a car guy, I never had any real exposure to sports and living on a farm where hunting and fishing were your main forms of entertainment and you got one station (CBS, thank god they had Gilligan's Island, Lost in Space and The Munsters as well as Mr. Ed) until I got to middle school and we had Phy. Ed. Well I fell in love with baseball in gym class (baseball was my passion, could not wait for the Sporting News to come in the mail each week, until all the strikes and rule changes) and the World Series in 67 was the Red Sox and Cardinals. Well I rooted for the Cardinals. Now not knowing anything about pro sports I assumed these same guys would then be playing football once the series was over so I started rooting for the Cardinal football team, and as they say the rest is history, been following them ever since. By the way I know a little bit more about pro sports now, not much but more. :D
I'll be 63 in a few weeks, so we're from the same era. My Dad was a huge baseball guy, not so much Professional Football. I LOVED the Sporting News!! It was like a newspaper back then. We were pretty poor, so that Sporting News subscription was my main Christmas present every year. Like you said, it was weekly, and it would have box scores for every MLB game. I memorized those box scores for years. I started following the MLB in 64 & sat with my Dad & uncles watching the Cardinals dispose of the hated Yankees in the 64 WS. I grew up in Syracuse, NY. My Dad was a Cardinal fan (started with the Gashouse Gang) & all his brothers were Yankees fans. We enjoyed harassing them. During the WS, I saw a TV commercial talking about an upcoming NFL game. I asked my Dad & he said we should watch. I was 6. My Dad didn't have a favorite NFL team, so he let me pick. I looked at the standings & saw there was a St. Louis Cardinals team. That became our team & I fell in love with their uniforms. They were actually pretty good in the 60's, so my love for them was cemented in. I was so glad that my Dad lived long enough to see the Cardinals get to a SB. For years, he joked & harassed me about picking the Cardinals as our favorite team. But, he never stopped rooting for them.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I'll be 63 in a few weeks, so we're from the same era. My Dad was a huge baseball guy, not so much Professional Football. I LOVED the Sporting News!! It was like a newspaper back then. We were pretty poor, so that Sporting News subscription was my main Christmas present every year. Like you said, it was weekly, and it would have box scores for every MLB game. I memorized those box scores for years. I started following the MLB in 64 & sat with my Dad & uncles watching the Cardinals dispose of the hated Yankees in the 64 WS. I grew up in Syracuse, NY. My Dad was a Cardinal fan (started with the Gashouse Gang) & all his brothers were Yankees fans. We enjoyed harassing them. During the WS, I saw a TV commercial talking about an upcoming NFL game. I asked my Dad & he said we should watch. I was 6. My Dad didn't have a favorite NFL team, so he let me pick. I looked at the standings & saw there was a St. Louis Cardinals team. That became our team & I fell in love with their uniforms. They were actually pretty good in the 60's, so my love for them was cemented in. I was so glad that my Dad lived long enough to see the Cardinals get to a SB. For years, he joked & harassed me about picking the Cardinals as our favorite team. But, he never stopped rooting for them.

I would pour over those box scores for hours. They also had team reports, a tidbit for each team. They also had the BA of every player who qualified as well as the ERA of every pitcher. I actually followed the Yankees too because the local CBS affiliate put them on every Saturday afternoon so it was the only baseball I could watch. They broadcast WPIX coverage of the Yankees who was the Yankees NY station, the Mets were on WOR. The Cardinal uniforms were nice back then.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
75 was Jim Hart not sure who the backup was , google says Dennis Shaw

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
75 was Jim Hart not sure who the backup was , google says Dennis Shaw
Gary Keithley was also on the roster. I'm sure neither played a down. Pretty sure it was the 75 season when Hart was only sacked 8 times the entire season.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary Keithley was also on the roster. I'm sure neither played a down. Pretty sure it was the 75 season when Hart was only sacked 8 times the entire season.

Pro football reference says Dennis Shaw threw 8 passes. Ironically in another thread, he's the guy we got when we traded Ahmad Rashad.

Metcalf threw 2 passes that year on option passes so he was our #3 QB !

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Pro football reference says Dennis Shaw threw 8 passes. Ironically in another thread, he's the guy we got when we traded Ahmad Rashad.

Metcalf threw 2 passes that year on option passes so he was our #3 QB !
What's crazy is that Shaw was the 1970 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year with the Buffalo Bills:eek:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Backup was Steve Pisarkiewicz. Pretty ugly era of Cardinal football in 79. Wilkinson was fired during the season & Larry Wilson actually was the HC the last few games. Hart was aging, but OJ was our next star. Hanifan took over in 80 & brought the team back slowly. By 81/82, Lomax was on the scene.
I remember all of that. Bud Wilkinson got the job cause of how well he did at Oklahoma but that wishbone offense was all he knew. Doing something different in the NFL proved to be too difficult. 1979 was OJ Anderson's rookie year. I believe his first game was against the cowsissies? He lit them up not only rushing but in the return game also if memory serves me correctly? Yes, Jim Hart was getting old, he got sacked a whole lot that season. It's funny mentioning Neil Lomax. I was watching the halftime show on CBS one Sunday & Brent Musburger showed highlights of the Saturday college games. I believe it was the 81/82 season? Anyways, Portland St beat some team 107-0 & Lomax threw for a gazillion yards in the highlights from the night before. I remember thinking "I'd love to have that dude on the Cardinals"? Well I'll be damned if we didn't draft him in April & the rest is history. It's a damn shame he had such a bad line with the Cardinals for so long & took so many sacks. It messed his hip up bad. What could've been?

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
I would pour over those box scores for hours. They also had team reports, a tidbit for each team. They also had the BA of every player who qualified as well as the ERA of every pitcher. I actually followed the Yankees too because the local CBS affiliate put them on every Saturday afternoon so it was the only baseball I could watch. They broadcast WPIX coverage of the Yankees who was the Yankees NY station, the Mets were on WOR. The Cardinal uniforms were nice back then.

I SO miss The Sporting News...