CB Generating Buzz

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
No position appears to be a grater need than CB. The problem is the top 2 CBs stand far above the pool and will most likely be gone by 16. After them you’re talking mostly press corners, some with significant issues. I think Horn, for example, goes in round 1 but I see him as a reach. He’s been a penalty machine and plays mostly a press style of defense. Speed receivers will constantly get separation from him. Still the Cards need to make a play somewhere.

They will closely be watching the Senior Bowl. Robert Rochell is one potential Senior Bowl consideration, but not a round 1 prospect. So it’s a 2 part question. Do they like him? If so where do you have to take him. At 6’1”, 195, he’s got the size. He’s expected to run faster than 4.4 (previously hand timed) and post strong athletic workout numbers.

Part of the concern is the competition he’s faced. Coming out of high school he was ignored by FBS schools and ended up at Central Arkansas. Like many athletes he was undersized coming into college; so he redshirted. Once he hit the field he looked nothing like gangly high school student. He gradually improved his technique. A ballhawk he intercepted 4 passes in 2018 despite only starting 8 games. 2019 saw him grow into an all-conference starter who picked off 5 passes, made 13 deflections and 44 tackles. Central Arkansas did manage to cobble together 7 games in 2020, but I’m told the atmosphere was such that you’d be well advised to ignore those games when assessing talent. I spoke with a scout who had seen Rochell play and he said Rochell displayed outstanding burst coming out of his break. He showed good football IQ with regard to play recognition. He’s more than willing in run support, tackling proficiently and hitting with surprising force. He is well coached and stays home during distracting motion or when playing zone defense.

There are concerns. He wants to be the star and can get physically reckless, so self-injury is always a concern. At times he appeared to let emotions get the better of him, resulting in needless penalties. Though we’ll coached for a small school athlete, he will need quite a bit of polishing. Double moves are an issue, plus the level of competition he will face will require a big adjustment. At times he got away with using his athleticism and he will get badly burned doing that in the NFL.

So how does this play out? If the Senior Bowl and a Pro Day verify his athleticism, he might be there when the Cards pick in round 3. He’s a gamble but might be the type the Cards will have to take if they want a corner.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not reach. If you can’t find a Cb that can step in and start then draft a guy that can get to the qb.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the Cards havent been shy about small school CBs

DRC was a Tennessee St guy they took in Round 1 who lasted a long time in the NFL

Greg Toler was a 4th round guy from a Div 3 school (IIRC) -- he also lasted in the league

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
the Cards havent been shy about small school CBs

DRC was a Tennessee St guy they took in Round 1 who lasted a long time in the NFL

Greg Toler was a 4th round guy from a Div 3 school (IIRC) -- he also lasted in the league
DRC is a very solid comp for Rochell. He is so physically gifted that the level of competition should not be a huge issue but he will have to change his play style which was largely due to the gap in talent between himself and those he was guarding.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DRC is a very solid comp for Rochell. He is so physically gifted that the level of competition should not be a huge issue but he will have to change his play style which was largely due to the gap in talent between himself and those he was guarding.
Is he a better tackler then drc?

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've been thinking about Rochell in Round 2 if we don't end up taking one at #16. Some mocks have him going in Round 4 but we don't have a 4th.

From Harry's description he sound like Josh Norman. He's definitely stronger than DRC coming out of Tennessee State, his game film looks like he's a solid tackler.

Here is a PFN write up on him.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/central-arkansas-cb-robert-rochell-gem-discovered/

Rochell’s insane athletic parameters — parameters which include a 4.38 40-yard dash time, 41-inch vertical jump, 140-inch broad jump, and 3.98-second short shuttle time, all at 6-foot-1, 197 pounds.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason that he did not go to a Power5 team is that he got hurt during his senior year in High School.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another one that caught my eye recently is Minny CB Benjamin St-Juste.

6'3" and 200lb

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I've been thinking about Rochell in Round 2 if we don't end up taking one at #16. Some mocks have him going in Round 4 but we don't have a 4th.

From Harry's description he sound like Josh Norman. He's definitely stronger than DRC coming out of Tennessee State, his game film looks like he's a solid tackler.

Here is a PFN write up on him.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/central-arkansas-cb-robert-rochell-gem-discovered/

Rochell’s insane athletic parameters — parameters which include a 4.38 40-yard dash time, 41-inch vertical jump, 140-inch broad jump, and 3.98-second short shuttle time, all at 6-foot-1, 197 pounds.

Be careful with those numbers. They are from a private workout. We’ll get secure numbers soon, but he looks game fast, as they say.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So..is all the talk about drafting BPA a smoke-screen? Or is Rochell that good? And should he be gone when we pick, what then?

And...are we willing to bipass better overall players in order to get him?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So..is all the talk about drafting BPA a smoke-screen? Or is Rochell that good? And should he be gone when we pick, what then?

I don't believe he will be a 1st or 2nd round guy unless he absolutely locks down top WRs at the Senior Bowl. He is a project player who may be a steal because of the odd college football year and draft process.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score

I believe there is little evidence that GMs in the cap era go strict BPA. The vast majority have 3-4 positions that require support. Today’s majority of GMs, IMO, pick the the BPA in one of those positions.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe there is little evidence that GMs in the cap era go strict BPA. The vast majority have 3-4 positions that require support. Today’s majority of GMs, IMO, pick the the BPA in one of those positions.

I agree but it so happens that we needs players at almost every position save for QB and S.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
So far he has appeared overmatched in drills. Despite his speed C Ark lined up often in press coverage. Working against the faster receivers he had an issue with letting them get the jump on him. Of course these players often benefit from the upscale coaching they get in this game. So watch for improvement as the week goes on and in the game. He looked better during the season, so we’ll have to see if the level of competition is too much of a leap for him.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ifeatu Melifonwu has looked very good at the Senior Bowl. Great size and length.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I mentioned him earlier was hoping he might slip to the third. But now he's creating quite a buzz.
Kendrick going back to Clemson left a void after Horn and Campbell at CB. Some team is going to covet his size. I look at the Jets and SF and Seattle who all love long CBs.