Draft Class: Linebackers

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My football philosophy is defense first. You build a good defense and you can win games with even an average QB.

Give someone like Kyler a defense he can rely on and we will make the playoffs most years.

It also happens to be where we have the most holes. All our CB's except Murphy are FA. Campbell is FA. Hicks has 2 years left and is a cheap cut next year. Peters is FA. Reddick and Golden are FA.

It's not pretty. So I would expect a defense heavy draft and I think the linebacker class is one of the better groups in the draft. I also like the idea of finding a partner for Simmons going forward so they can grow together as a unit. Who do you like to?

Assuming Parson's is gone by 16 a guy I'm intrigued by in the first 2 rounds is Zaven Collins. Although I think he's gone by our round 2 pick.

At 6'4", 257lb - Man, what a unit. I'm intrigued by Collins size and athleticism. He's not got elite speed because he's 260lb but he's got good lateral quickness. He's super impressive physically. Great getting off blocks, superb tackler, flies around the field and gets in the backfield a bunch. Also good in coverage but more a zone guy, you don't want him covering a slot receiver. I think his attributes complement Simmons.

But what impresses me the most is his intelligence. He's a smart guy off the field but you can really see his football smarts. Really good at diagnosing plays and knowing where to be, something we seem to lack in our current linebackers. When you see him interviewed he looks and acts like he's 28. Very mature guy.

Because of his natural size and strength I also think you have the option of using him at OLB which he would do a little at Tulsa off the edge.

Who else do you guys like? I'm not so up to speed on other guys.

Owusu-Koramoah looks too small. Nick Bolton looks good but quite a similar skill set to Simmons.
I like Cameron McGrone too but he seems to have a similar skill set to Collins but not quite as good.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
My football philosophy is defense first. You build a good defense and you can win games with even an average QB.

Give someone like Kyler a defense he can rely on and we will make the playoffs most years.

It also happens to be where we have the most holes. All our CB's except Murphy are FA. Campbell is FA. Hicks has 2 years left and is a cheap cut next year. Peters is FA. Reddick and Golden are FA.

It's not pretty. So I would expect a defense heavy draft and I think the linebacker class is one of the better groups in the draft. I also like the idea of finding a partner for Simmons going forward so they can grow together as a unit. Who do you like to?

Assuming Parson's is gone by 16 a guy I'm intrigued by in the first 2 rounds is Zaven Collins. Although I think he's gone by our round 2 pick.

At 6'4", 257lb - Man, what a unit. I'm intrigued by Collins size and athleticism. He's not got elite speed because he's 260lb but he's got good lateral quickness. He's super impressive physically. Great getting off blocks, superb tackler, flies around the field and gets in the backfield a bunch. Also good in coverage but more a zone guy, you don't want him covering a slot receiver. I think his attributes complement Simmons.

But what impresses me the most is his intelligence. He's a smart guy off the field but you can really see his football smarts. Really good at diagnosing plays and knowing where to be, something we seem to lack in our current linebackers. When you see him interviewed he looks and acts like he's 28. Very mature guy.

Because of his natural size and strength I also think you have the option of using him at OLB which he would do a little at Tulsa off the edge.

Who else do you guys like? I'm not so up to speed on other guys.

Owusu-Koramoah looks too small. Nick Bolton looks good but quite a similar skill set to Simmons.
I like Cameron McGrone too but he seems to have a similar skill set to Collins but not quite as good.

We’re thinking opposite. I think they go offense at least with the first 3 picks unless a miracle CB falls to them. With Simmons playing so little I can’t picture them pairing him with a Rookie. It’s a god LB draft but i think the Cards go FA if they make a move there.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We’re thinking opposite. I think they go offense at least with the first 3 picks unless a miracle CB falls to them. With Simmons playing so little I can’t picture them pairing him with a Rookie. It’s a god LB draft but i think the Cards go FA if they make a move there.
If a player like McGrone fell to the 3rd round, maybe they bring him in to learn behind Hicks for a year.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm hoping they go wherever the draft takes them. I don't want them forcing any picks. If it falls offensively thats fine.

But if I'm Keim and I want to be sure this team makes the playoffs next year I'm going defense. Kliffs scheme (if it stays as it is) is always going to be naturally limiting whoever you put in there. Nuk had more yards in the 7 games before the bye week than he had in the 9 games after it. Teams have thoroughly figured it out. We've all figured it out, and if our limited football brains can do it (you excepted of course) then for sure opposing DC's can.

Build a top 10 defense though and I'm confident this offense will get you enough to win 10 games.

Similar to the Rams really. I'd take our offense over the Rams but the Rams are a game away from the NFCCG because of their defense.

Look at how the 14 playoff teams correlate to their defensive performance.

Rams
Saints
Steelers
Washington
Ravens
Bucs
Packers
Colts

All top 10 in yards allowed per game. Chiefs and Bills were 15 and 16. Browns and Chicks 21 and 22 as outliers. Same teams in there on yards per play, points allowed etc

Now there are other factors of course. A great defense doesn't guarantee play offs, see the Niners, but you look every year at the teams in there and 80% of them are top 10 defenses.

But either way, just take the BPA, we have too many holes.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
But if I'm Keim and I want to be sure this team makes the playoffs next year I'm going defense.

you have to assume that KK knows he has one year, and Keim likely feels the same pressure

i think there will be an emphasis on picks that can come in and help right away

so -- need will more important than usual, and, a preference for higher floor players vs. high talent but developmental or projections

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
you have to assume that KK knows he has one year, and Keim likely feels the same pressure

i think there will be an emphasis on picks that can come in and help right away

so -- need will more important than usual, and, a preference for higher floor players vs. high talent but developmental or projections

I don't think they fire Kliff next year, or Keim. Not unless they have a 3-13 year.

I think Kliff, Keim and Kyler are all tied together for another 2 years.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m a build the trenches type guy but we desperately need weapons on offense. Our WR outside of Hopkins are horrible and Drake is average at best

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
I don't think they fire Kliff next year, or Keim. Not unless they have a 3-13 year.

I think Kliff, Keim and Kyler are all tied together for another 2 years.

Agree. The Cardinals have had 11 non losing seasons since they moved to Arizona. The Bidwill Family is A-OK with below average.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You need a defense that can get stops, is schematically versatile and causes negative plays.

You need an offense that can score points. If you can do so multiple ways, even better.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All have very good offenses first. Most have future HOF QBs.

So what you're saying is give a good QB a good defense and we'll make the playoffs?

That sounds a lot like my point.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All have very good offenses first. Most have future HOF QBs.

Vikings, Raiders, Chargers and the Cards all had top 10 defenses and didn't make it.

You ain't making the playoffs without a good offense too, at least not regularly, although the Rams did it this year.

But generally speaking the top defenses seem to make it more often than the top offenses.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA