Draft Convo: Alabama WRs - Buyer Beware?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about Fulton? Cause Stingley covered Smith the whole game.

Also, would you not draft Stingley in the top 20 since Smith obliterated him in consecutive years?

Yeah you're right this video has a bunch of clips of that matchup 2 years ago it's Smith vs Stingley in almost all of it including the 2 long TD's where he torched him both times

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Julio Jones turned out OK. Cooper and Ridley are having pretty good starts to their careers. Jeudy and Ruggs, it's too early to tell.

As for Olave, if he runs in the 4.4's or low 4.5's he'd be great in round 2. He has great hands and runs great routes.

OSU is going to be a WR school in the next few years. McLaurin is off to a nice start. Olave and Garret Wilson are as good a WR combo in college and they have a great young group and the #1 WR in the next 2 recruiting classes.

This is all a credit to their new WR coach, Brian Hartline. He knows about running NFL routes as he made a nice career for himself as a late round pick for Miami a few years back.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

It's a highlight video, but it is why I disagree with you about the gap between Moore and Waddle. Moore is a run after catch beast and his start-stop is pretty amazing. Also, he is doing it on Purdue, with a Purdue QB, and against Ohio St, Wisconsin, and other more talented programs. He is doing this when he is about the only player teams are game planning for.

i really like this player -- been focusing on him as it seems he likely will be available to the Cards (rather than a DeVonta Smith, etc)

he has that Chase Edmonds slippery-ness where it looks like a defender has a great angle to tackle him, yet he evades him.

my concern: i think the Cards need some size and a true outside guy. so if you get a, lets say, Marvin Jones in FA -- this player would be a really nice complement

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think the gap between Waddle & Moore is much wider than the gap between Moore & a Elijah. Waddle plays bigger than his height while Moore plays just like a 5’8 dude would play like. Toney excites me way more than Moore if anything.
I am more excited by production, and Moore out produced Toney significantly.

Toney had 2170 scrimmage yards and 14 TDs vs Moore having 2163 scrimmage yards and 17 TDs. The yards are similar but Toney's stats are over 38 games while Moore's are over 20 games.

In terms of production, Waddle has 1982 scrimmage yards and 17 TDs and that is in 33 games so 13 more games played than Rondale Moore. Again, we can disagree but I just don't feel like the gap is very big. I guess we will see.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stop making excuses for Juedy. It’s not the QB it’s him. He had 7 drops his last season at Alabama it’s who he is. His hands are horrible.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Toney had 2170 scrimmage yards and 14 TDs vs Moore having 2163 scrimmage yards and 17 TDs. The yards are similar but Toney's stats are over 38 games while Moore's are over 20 games.

In terms of production, Waddle has 1982 scrimmage yards and 17 TDs and that is in 33 games so 13 more games played than Rondale Moore. Again, we can disagree but I just don't feel like the gap is very big. I guess we will see.
Production over traits is why the FO drafted Andy over DK, Terry, & others, etc.

Production is okay, but traits will always matter more.

I hear you though.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I will say this, if the Cardinals draft or sign any pass catcher who runs over a 4.5 40, I will lose my mind. The complete lack of speed of our pass catching WRs is why I would throw the dart that is signing John Ross. We need speed.

That is the main reason I would not target JuJu in FA anymore. There isn't enough space underneath for him to operate because we don't have any player to open that area up.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

32 the 33rd game he got hurt returning the opening kickoff. He broke his ankle.

Moore had a great freshman year, off to a good start as a soph when he got hurt, hasn't looked that good since then hasn't scored a TD this year in the 4 games he played. Healthy he's talented

Lots of guys who can help us

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I will say this, if the Cardinals draft or sign any pass catcher who runs over a 4.5 40, I will lose my mind. The complete lack of speed of our pass catching WRs is why I would throw the dart that is signing John Ross. We need speed.

That is the main reason I would not target JuJu in FA anymore. There isn't enough space underneath for him to operate because we don't have any player to open that area up.
Will Fuller and John Ross would be my top 2 targets. I think TY Hilton has some gas left in the tank too.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
32 the 33rd game he got hurt returning the opening kickoff. He broke his ankle.

Moore had a great freshman year, off to a good start as a soph when he got hurt, hasn't looked that good since then hasn't scored a TD this year in the 4 games he played. Healthy he's talented

Lots of guys who can help us
To steal a line from Mr. Mix-A-Lot

Six foot two, two hundred ten pounds
Ha ha, only if he runs a 4.3

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Waddle is the best of the bunch from these Bama WR's. That kid is going to be dynamite in the NFL.

Unfortunately he will be gone by the time we pick.

Rondale Moore is the next Tavon Austin - gadget guy and too small for the NFL.

I would love to target Tamorrion Terry in rounds 3-4.

Last edited:

football karma

Reaction score
maybe

thats why i wouldnt take him in the top 10 like Austin-- who is whippet thin, and the next tackle he breaks will be his first

Rondale has a thick lower body and runs through stuff

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
maybe

thats why i wouldnt take him in the top 10 like Austin-- who is whippet thin, and the next tackle he breaks will be his first

Rondale has a thick lower body and runs through stuff

Do we really want to build a tiny team though? I believe Kyler works best with big targets. He has better connections with Hopkins, Arnold (even though he stinks and drops everything), Fitz, and Johnson than he does with Kirk and Isabella.

I like Pitts in the 1st round if he's there. Rashaad Bateman is projected to go around our pick but I'm not sure about him - he does have good size though.

I guess I'm contradicting myself since I like Waddle so much, but he plays much bigger and more explosive than he is. Legitamite Tyreek Hill comp for me.

football karma

Reaction score
Do we really want to build a tiny team though? I believe Kyler works best with big targets.

its a concern

its why i noted that the pick would feel better if the team signed someone like Marvin Jones on the outside

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its a concern

its why i noted that the pick would feel better if the team signed someone like Marvin Jones on the outside

I love Jones, he's from Cal, he's 30, great in the redzone. My one concern is are we close enough, sounds like he wants to be closer to his family in California, and wants a shot at a ring. The Rams and 49ers would be the likely ones in California although he's from So Cal not Nor Cal so not all that far from Arizona.

Not a speedster but can get the ball in the air. At the right price would be a nice get.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

What about Chris Godwin, still 24, last year contract with Tampa Bay, unlikely they will tag him

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Waddle is the best of the bunch from these Bama WR's. That kid is going to be dynamite in the NFL.

Unfortunately he will be gone by the time we pick.

I would love to target Tamorrion Terry in rounds 3-4.

What about his attitude, behavior?
I heard he had a minor injury then he left the program

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What about his attitude, behavior?
I heard he had a minor injury then he left the program

Maybe he did, I don't know the details on that. But he is said to have reached over 23 mph on his touchdown against ASU. That is a higher top speed than DK Metcalf reached when he tackled Buddah Baker. He's also 6'4". For that kind of potential, I am willing to spend a 4th round pick.

football karma

Reaction score
I love Jones, he's from Cal, he's 30, great in the redzone. My one concern is are we close enough, sounds like he wants to be closer to his family in California, and wants a shot at a ring. The Rams and 49ers would be the likely ones in California although he's from So Cal not Nor Cal so not all that far from Arizona.

Not a speedster but can get the ball in the air. At the right price would be a nice get.

Rams have serious cap issues, and big $ invested in Woods and Cupp. i dont see them spending on a FA WR.

I think the 49ers are likely with Aiyuk and Samuel.

IF the team wins Sunday and makes the playoffs, i think AZ becomes an attractive place

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love me some 2nd round WRs.

Check out this list of 2nd rounders from 2020 draft.

#1 2nd round Tee Higgins Bengals
#2 2nd round Michael Pittman Colts
#10 2nd round Laviska Shenault Jags
#14 2nd round K J Hamler Denver
#17 2nd round Chase Claypool Washington
#25 2nd round Van Jefferson L A Rams
#27 2nd round Denzel Mims Jets

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rams have serious cap issues, and big $ invested in Woods and Cupp. i dont see them spending on a FA WR.

I think the 49ers are likely with Aiyuk and Samuel.

IF the team wins Sunday and makes the playoffs, i think AZ becomes an attractive place

Good point and 49ers have cap issues too. They did give Kittle a big extension and they have some other guys to decide on.

And it is sounding more and more likely they're going to try and trade Jimmy G and if not, cut him, so they may be in the market for a QB more than a WR.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Production over traits is why the FO drafted Andy over DK, Terry, & others, etc.

Production is okay, but traits will always matter more.

I hear you though.

I disagree it needs to be a mix of both. Look at the Suns they spent years drafting high ceiling guys who didn’t really produce, Len, Chriss, Bender, Jackson all great athletes but they didn’t actually know how to play basketball and were low IQ players

We swung and missed on Robert Nkimdiche a guy with all the physical talent in the world but had a lack Olof production at Ole Miss. this pick more than anything is why we passed on DK in my opinion

it’s risky drafting guys that don’t produce in college. The draft is a huge crap shoot anyway. People always complain either way. If it doesn’t work out it’s like wow how could you draft that guy

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
John Ross
Curtis Samuel
Will Fuller
Breshad Perriman (another risk/reward guy like Ross)
Fuller is the prize, but injuries, the PEDs (we saw what happens when you remove that advantage with PP), and likely most expensive probably eliminates him.

Samuel is intriguing, but questionable hands. Likely second most expensive guy.

Ross and perrimen are just total rolls of the dice.