Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It isn't nearly that simple. Rubio is a main ballhandler that is really only a threat from 3 when he is spotting up and still only made like 35% of them. Crowder's main role on offense is to stretch the floor and make enough threes that the defense has to account for it. Shooting 34% is enough to do just that.

The big problem with Rubio isn't really his percentage, it's that he often hesitates to take them even when the defense gives it to him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
the key is that all the holes are plugged up
(1) spacing compromised by Rubio
(2) defensive limitations caused by Oubre/Dario
Trust me, I recognize that. And I think we are substantially improved. As evidenced by my floor of 53 win-equivalent forecast for next year.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Great pick-up by the Suns. Crowder doesn't have the versatility or passion that Oubre does, but he's a solid player who works hard.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The big problem with Rubio isn't really his percentage, it's that he often hesitates to take them even when the defense gives it to him.
Yeah true. So he essentially shot 35% from 3 while only taking very open shots. Crowder shot 34% and that includes some tough contested shots as well.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns still have their BAE. Do they have to use it before signing Saric. Is that how it works?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The stats say Jae Crowder is not that good.

He played well his last 20 regular season games with Miami, but than went back to subpar play in the playoffs.

I am disappointed with this signing.

Millsap and Dario are both superior players by the stats.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
bubble Dario is simply “plays against other bench bigs Dario”, so he should be fine

Cam is already a very good shooter and now he can guard bench wings

Payne/Carter are not going to be relied on

Smith probably won’t be relied on much either
No, it wasn’t as simple as Dario moving to bench, which did okay a role. He looked more active and slightly more agile. I think he got into much better shape.

man’s right now Payne and Carter are our third and fourth guards. Absent another signing we have no choice to rely on them.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
this... I’m a little nervous to see if that shoe drops next.

Jae added to the mix with Dario is very good. Instead of? It’s a lateral step or even a small one backward.

Crowder has his limitations but on a similar contract I take him over Saric.

BTW, I'm not the biggest supporter of bringing back Saric. If healthy, Baynes is another story.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
No, it wasn’t as simple as Dario moving to bench, which did okay a role. He looked more active and slightly more agile. I think he got into much better shape.

man’s right now Payne and Carter are our third and fourth guards. Absent another signing we have no choice to rely on them.

Bridges is SG size, so he can cover some minutes there. Backup PG is the big problem.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Nobody said otherwise and $10 mil a year isn’t stopping them from doing that.
I don't think him not staying with Miami is a sign that they don't think he is a player that is worth paying to keep around, but that they have other guys already that can fill into that role for them.

The fact that they want to keep flexibility to pursue a star next off season doesn't really help either.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Crowder has his limitations but on a similar contract I take him over Saric.
Don't know about that, but even still no reason we can't have both.

That being said there is no rush at this point to ink Saric as he is restricted and we can give him time to explore possible offers from other teams.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think him not staying with Miami is a sign that they don't think he is a player that is worth paying to keep around, but that they have other guys already that can fill into that role for them.

The fact that they want to keep flexibility to pursue a star next off season doesn't really help either.

He's not worth 10 million a year. We overpaid. Apparently that is still the only way we can sign FA's.

I really hope we don't lose Dario now, because if we do we are in real trouble.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Bridges is SG size, so he can cover some minutes there. Backup PG is the big problem.
But bridges can neither handle the ball nor get his own shot. So if we don’t sign a third guard we are 100% reliant on Payne and Carter to a lesser degree.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He's not worth 10 million a year. We overpaid. Apparently that is still the only way we can sign FA's.

I really hope we don't lose Dario now, because if we do we are in real trouble.
Why would we lose Dario though? He is restricted and isn't getting anything more than the MLE and that is assuming he even gets that at this rate.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But bridges can neither handle the ball nor get his own shot. So if we don’t sign a third guard we are 100% reliant on Payne and Carter to a lesser degree.

He is making strides in both areas, and I expect he will be much improved in both this year.

But yes, we have to get a third scoring guard somehow, but things are looking bleak.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would we lose Dario though? He is restricted and isn't getting anything more than the MLE and that is assuming he even gets that at this rate.

With James Jones in charge, I am expecting the worst. So far that seems to predict the future pretty accurately.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

I agree that it doesn’t mean they didn’t want him but they’re not going to overpay for “toughness” if there’s bigger fish on the horizon.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know about that, but even still no reason we can't have both.

That being said there is no rush at this point to ink Saric as he is restricted and we can give him time to explore possible offers from other teams.

this is where the rubber meets the road on if the Suns are willing to pay what they need to be as good as they can be.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have Bird rights on Dario so I think we use BAE on a free agent still. Don't quote me on that!

I was thinking Suns might still need to sign Saric last as an over the cap thing to sign other players.