Bill Davis (LBs Coach) - Can He Develop Young Talent?

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
I want to slap my kids half the time they talk because of the stupid things they say.

However. The #1 worst newer slang term? "Ratchet". Ratchet is being used as what would would probably say as ghetto, hood rat, garbage, etc.

The problem for me is, a ratchet is one of the most useful tools we can find. Changing it to something that is ghetto hood rat trash is blasphemy.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

I used to think "hot mess" was a joke. Like some hillbillies from the south said it and that's it, come to find out it's a popular term used also.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We also have a 2nd lber coach (name escapes me) so it's not all on Davis. Plus the other lbers on the team will help Simmons.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
“Ratchet” was used in the early nineties
Like....
“Get outta here with yo ratchet ass”
Or...
“ that’s one ratchet ass ho”

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would guess from every thing I've ever READ about Bill Davis and based on his resume, that he is viewed as a good LB coach. He keeps getting hired, and I remember players raving about his knowledge at points in time.

Is he good at coaching young talent and relating to them? Who knows, but the veterans have spoken well about him.

That's why this exercise is dumb. We don't know if he is good or not.

Precisely!

I don't know how good he is and @BritCard sure as heck doesn't either.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want to slap my kids half the time they talk because of the stupid things they say.

However. The #1 worst newer slang term? "Ratchet". Ratchet is being used as what would would probably say as ghetto, hood rat, garbage, etc.

The problem for me is, a ratchet is one of the most useful tools we can find. Changing it to something that is ghetto hood rat trash is blasphemy.

Well, Gay once meant happy, joyful.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Precisely!

I don't know how good he is and @BritCard sure as heck doesn't either.

No I don't know, but I think. There's a long list of failures on his CV. He's had 10 jobs over 20 years in the NFL prior to his stint here now. 2 years per and no history of success suggests he isn't great.

This may surprise you but I don't work in the NFL.

And just to help any future confusion, everything written by everyone on here is opinion.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No I don't know, but I think. There's a long list of failures on his CV. He's had 10 jobs over 20 years in the NFL prior to his stint here now. 2 years per and no history of success suggests he isn't great.

And just to help any future confusion, everything written by everyone on here is opinion.

No history of success? He has coached some good LB groups, but he hasn't had a young high pick to groom ever.

You either don't understand the longevity of a position coach in the NFL or you are purposefully misconstruing his resume. He averaged two years because his head coach was FIRED, which for 95% of position coaches that means they are fired too.

He keeps getting hired, got multiple coordinator jobs from coaches from multiple coaching trees.

Yeah were going to assume Browning was talking about Davis and that automatically makes him terrible even though Browning admits he stopped grinding.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He's had many jobs in football: Quelle surprise!

I'm not "surprised" that you don't work in the NFL; that's a given. What's "confusing" is the need to offer your "opinion" as the final word on anything, everything and that you brook no contradiction: "Un peu d'eau dans ton vin", would go a long way.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's had many jobs in football: Quelle surprise!

I'm not "surprised" that you don't work in the NFL; that's a given. What's "confusing" is the need to offer your "opinion" as the final word on anything, everything and that you brook no contradiction: "Un peu d'eau dans ton vin", would go a long way.

Really? You got all that from me saying I don't rate Davis?

I don't form snap opinions. I consider as many angles as I can. So when you say I brook no argument what is actually happening is I already considered what your saying.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really? You got all that from me saying I don't rate Davis?

I don't form snap opinions. I consider as many angles as I can. So when you say I brook no argument what is actually happening is I already considered what your saying.

You get the FINAL word.... because that's what's important to you.

BIM: you're

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No history of success? He has coached some good LB groups, but he hasn't had a young high pick to groom ever.

You either don't understand the longevity of a position coach in the NFL or you are purposefully misconstruing his resume. He averaged two years because his head coach was FIRED, which for 95% of position coaches that means they are fired too.

He keeps getting hired, got multiple coordinator jobs from coaches from multiple coaching trees.

Yeah were going to assume Browning was talking about Davis and that automatically makes him terrible even though Browning admits he stopped grinding.

Ahh right. So he's good, he just so happens to always be on bad teams with bad HCs?

His 20 seasons as a coach has produced 7 winning seasons. 4 of those were here with peak Kurt Warner and the other 2 with peak Chip Kelly.

How many good coaches are there with a 30% winning history?

Last edited:

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

So bill-a-cheat has had 12 or 13 different jobs with 9 different teams. So as they say all coaches are hired to be fired.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Ahh right. So he's good, he just so happens to always be on bad teams with bad HCs?

His 20 seasons as a coach has produced 7 winning seasons. 4 of those were here with peak Kurt Warner and the other 2 with peak Chip Kelly.

Holy crap the awful logic you are demonstrating here...

:hammer:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Brain fart!

Wins and losses are not and have never been a position coach stat.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So bill-a-cheat has had 12 or 13 different jobs with 9 different teams. So as they say all coaches are hired to be fired.

Ahh ok, so him being with the Pats for 20 years and the Giants for 10 in a career spanning 44 years and he's still had less teams than Davis is a fair comparison do you think?

Yes coaches get fired. Sometimes it's not their fault. But when you average 2 years per stint and you only have 7 winning seasons in 20 something is wrong.

Now as I've said. I have no idea if he is good or not, but his history and the fact that our own LB corp was garbage last year would suggest he's not awesome.

Let's compromise and say he's not in the top half of LB coaches in the league.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brain fart!

Wins and losses are not and have never been a position coach stat.

Sure. Show we a coach who's considered to be good by the league that has a 7/20 record. I'll wait.

Let me put it another way. There's a reason no good HC's pick him up as a position coach and he's stuck with them. There's a reason guys like Chip Kelly, Kliff, Whiz etc hired him. It's because they had nobody else to hire.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure. Show we a coach who's considered to be good by the league that has a 7/20 record. I'll wait.

Let me put it another way. There's a reason no good HC's pick him up as a position coach and he's stuck with them. There's a reason guys like Chip Kelly, Kliff, Whiz etc hired him. It's because they had nobody else to hire.

"Sure". And you know this how? I'll wait.

"Let me put it another way": An opinion supported by your brilliant deductive reasoning and delusions of adequacy.

Walter is that you?

Last edited:
OP
OP
scandalous_b

scandalous_b

Veteran
Reaction score
Well I guess that you are right and Simmons is a bust.
I'll make a deal with you. If Simmons turns it on this year or next then we can all agree that you are a bust. See how that works?

I have no idea how you were able to convince yourself that I ever said, or think, that Simmons is a bust. You just completely made that up lol.

To reiterate - I think that Simmons is an unbelievable talent, and there was no doubt that he was the right pick at #8. Freak athletes with his level of production at the college level do not come around all that often.

With all that being said, there's no doubt that he is extremely raw because he was spread so thin at Clemson - and that isn't Simmons' fault. He was an absolute baller at Clemson and was the difference maker on that defense.

Grooming Simmons into a superstar should be priority #1 of the defensive coaching staff. He should be the future of this defense. Unfortunately - they have made it clear that they do not agree with that. The fact that this coaching staff threw him into the deep end week 1, and then proceeded to bench him for the foreseeable future is absolutely disgraceful. This organization has mangled the development of top talent after top talent - and I am starting to get sick of watching it.

So by all means - feel free to continue to as members of the hoi polloi and defend every decision the organization makes. I'm sure everything will work ou perfectly.

OP
OP
scandalous_b

scandalous_b

Veteran
Reaction score
Chris, I'll be happy to take a break. But I do ask you to read the fourth (I believe) post in this thread where my post was described as a dope response. Only asking for fairness.
Dope means "Nice". But you attacked his post originally and kept going at it.

TOP DEFINITION
Dope
Saying something is cool. Most heard in big cities

In the interest of fairness - I was obviously being sarcastic. His post deserved to get buried. It was embarrassing.

If you don't agree with my opinions, that's fine. I think we can all agree that we all don't have to see eye-to-eye on everything. But the point of this place is to have a discussion.

To suggest to me that "some meds might help" is not only offensive to those with mental health issues - but its even more offensive for how unfunny & lame it is. If you're going to attack me - at least be funny or clever. He was neither.

OP
OP
scandalous_b

scandalous_b

Veteran
Reaction score
lol I dont think kids are saying dope anymore. That is what my old 37 yr old ass says all the time.
This is true...now things are "fire".
Lit. That's what the kids say.
This post is on fleek

yolo swag

1. The word "dope" was used because, when used in a sarcastic manner, feels extremely condescending to me. That was my goal.

2. There are not that many things more cringey to me than people who go out of their way to discuss / keep up with popular lingo. It reminds me of when corporate twitter accounts try to keep up with the trends. The worst.

3. Kids are going to do & say stupid things - but I'd rather my kids learn how to think for themselves and say whatever they want to say, given that it's harmless and not disrespectful. You shouldn't force lingo onto somebody - especially kids. That is - unless you want children that have the collective charisma of a rock.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose