Game #11- Houston Astros @ Arizona Diamondbacks. 08/04/20

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
As I stated in a post earlier, mad bum is appropriately named...bum.

No other excuses required.

Just a cute nickname at this point.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
As I stated in a post earlier, mad bum is appropriately named...bum.

No other excuses required.

Just a cute nickname at this point.

As a small market team, our Diamondbacks can only obtain a "superstar" (in this case, an Ace starter) who has entered
the twilight of his career.

Unless we're willing to trade our best position player, Ketel Marte, which we better not be!

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As a small market team, our Diamondbacks can only obtain a "superstar" (in this case, an Ace starter) who has entered
the twilight of his career.

Unless we're willing to trade our best position player, Ketel Marte, which we better not be!

How do we define small market?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
How do we define small market?
I would say . . . in the eyes of the baseball world and (as a result of) the D-backs and Suns
acting like small market teams.

And, with a higher percent of our population having moved here from other locations
and taking longer to transfer their loyalty to our "home town" teams.

In terms of metropolitan area population, the last time I checked the Suns status, The
Valley of the Sun came in right in the middle of the pack in terms of population. Even
though Phoenix ranks higher among cities, the fan base clearly comes from the whole Valley.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Phoenix is the nations 5th largest city but still acts and is thought of as a small town to most.
As I posted, The Valley of the Sun is the 10th largest metropolitan area in the U.S.

In a study I did concerning NBA teams a couple of years ago, that put the Valley
right in the middle of the pack.

To define attendance and viewership to just the City of Phoenix, with the Valley
50 miles wide, is not accurate.

And because many of the Valley's residents have come from other locations during
its growth spurts, it takes time for their loyalty to the sports teams they grew up
with to transfer to Arizona teams.

Last edited:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Small market

In the terminology of professional sports in North America, teams are often said to be based not in a city but in a media market. The size of the media market is usually a good indication of the potential viability of a major league team

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I still question whether that makes this a small market.
I wish this site offered a Dislike button in addition to the Like (with the Unlike option to un-do the Like).

OK, part of the reason we remain Small Market teams is because our investment groups are small minded.

Kendrick has seemed to take more pride in spending for his baseball card collection than competent leaders.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wish this site offered a Dislike button in addition to the Like (with the Unlike option to un-do the Like).

OK, part of the reason we remain Small Market teams is because our investment groups are small minded.

Kendrick has seemed to take more pride in spending for his baseball card collection than competent leaders.

You have made my point. These are not small market teams they just act like they are and to a certain extent the fans...this transplant fans...react to that.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You have made my point. These are not small market teams they just act like they are and to a certain extent the fans...this transplant fans...react to that.
I don't want to belabor it, but to say that we are not small market
teams but they just act like we are
is semantics.

What they do is what it is all about! And what the fans and refs
perceive. Perception is reality!

What people think may or may not be true, but that they think
it is true, is a fact and must be dealt with.

For example, the Suns have been considered a soft team for
over a half century, which is why they don't get the calls from
refs. who definitely play a role in the outcome of games.

So I agree with your assessment that our teams act like small
market teams.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose