The Athletic

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Dane Brugler is now projecting the Cards take Simmons. More people I’m talking with now believe Brown or Simmons will fall to the Cards and be the choice. I’d take Simmons, for sure, but I’d be tempted to trade down rather than take Brown. If they don’t go too far down many believe Kinlaw has a higher ceiling than Brown. Brown, however, is the safer choice. I can’t remember hearing so many rumors of trades. Last year was a step up, but this year’s perhaps a dozen teams are involved.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It looks like from what is slowly getting out, that Simmons will be the guy from the three defenders which will reach us at our pick. I was skeptical of Simmons and thought to myself oh great, another Swiss Army knife player who cannot form the foundation of core positions which come first before you can allow yourself to think complimentary but I think I am wrong now. Simmons can be a very good linebacker, a core player, who is such a freak athlete that he can play freaking nickle but not a guy without a position. If he is there at 8 (Okudah is not there to challenge the selection) and we do not select him... yeah, it will be the Suggs/Peterson scenario all over again

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure about Brown but lots of football analysts like him for whatever that is worth.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Dane Brugler is now projecting the Cards take Simmons. More people I’m talking with now believe Brown or Simmons will fall to the Cards and be the choice. I’d take Simmons, for sure, but I’d be tempted to trade down rather than take Brown. If they don’t go too far down many believe Kinlaw has a higher ceiling than Brown. Brown, however, is the safer choice. I can’t remember hearing so many rumors of trades. Last year was a step up, but this year’s perhaps a dozen teams are involved.
It's Simmons or a trade down for me. I wouldn't be unhappy with Brown Wills/Wirfs or Lamb, but bummed about not getting a top tier OL, DL prospect in the 2nd in a trade down senario.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Simmons, Simmons, Simmons

you get ++++ on pass coverage while giving up nothing on run defense

after only two games, I got very tired of watching Jimmy Garrapolo throw about 100 7-yard passes between the hashes and seemingly complete 90% of them.

I would like that solved

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Imo if Simmons or Brown (in that order) slide to us at #8 consider it an absolute blessing & the Cards should turn that card into the Commish seconds after they are announced on the clock.

If both are available & Keim doesn’t take either or trades down, Michael Bidwill should fire him immediately from his computer

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Imo if Simmons or Brown (in that order) slide to us at #8 consider it an absolute blessing & the Cards should turn that card into the Commish seconds after they are announced on the clock.

If both are available & Keim doesn’t take either or trades down, Michael Bidwill should fire him immediately from his computer

I listen to the local sports talk shows here in Phoenix and they all are in totally agreement with you. They have ex-NFL football players on their shows that watch game film, they all say that if Okudah, Simmons or Brown are available, the Cards should take any of them and not trade down.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think everything hinges on Carolina as to whether Simmons makes it to us.

Unless the Giants have a big gap on their 2nd best tackle and go for Simmons instead.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Young, Okudah, Simmons, Thomas/Wills, trade back.

Unless Brown becomes Sapp or Suh (I 100% don't see it)..... I would be very disappointed with that pick.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest decision will be if Simmons or Brown is available.

I’m all in on defense with our first pick and to me Simmons is the easy choice. Brown could be an anchor on the d-line for years to come. The scary thing about Simmons is utilizing him in the correct way without overwhelming him.

He is so unique we could actually have a plethora of sub- packages. He would demand offenses to account for him on every play. Speed, length and still growing.

Buckybird

Reaction score
I think the biggest decision will be if Simmons or Brown is available.

I’m all in on defense with our first pick and to me Simmons is the easy choice. Brown could be an anchor on the d-line for years to come. The scary thing about Simmons is utilizing him in the correct way without overwhelming him.

He is so unique we could actually have a plethora of sub- packages. He would demand offenses to account for him on every play. Speed, length and still growing.
Too me there is no big decision if either is available. Easy. Both these guys will be game wreckers

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Panthers lost Keuchly and two D-line starters from a less than sterling run defence.

They have to decide which way they go... Brown or Simmons?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Been wanting Simmons from day 1. I’m pretty much down to 2 guys, Simmons or Thomas. Unless Okudah falls.

I think Thomas will be gone too.

For some reason, I think the Cards trade back and take Kinlaw.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Been wanting Simmons from day 1. I’m pretty much down to 2 guys, Simmons or Thomas. Unless Okudah falls.

I think Thomas will be gone too.

For some reason, I think the Cards trade back and take Kinlaw.
I'm almost there as well. Just add Wills and we agree. Young, Okudah, Simmons, Thomas, Wills, Trade back.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Simmons is the only guy I’m sold on that is projected to go in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
For all the Simmons fans,

He is undoubtedly a complex and talented defensive player. Unlocking that talent will require an elite defensive mind to deploy him optimally. I am, therefore, assuming all of the Simmons stans are big VANCE GUYS, too.

Buckybird

Reaction score

He is undoubtedly a complex and talented defensive player. Unlocking that talent will require an elite defensive mind to deploy him optimally. I am, therefore, assuming all of the Simmons stans are big VANCE GUYS, too.
No way. Vance will get poo canned after this season

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We're all "stans" of Vance.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah, I just don't agree.

Simmons talent does not require a coach to unleash it, he just makes plays.

Buckybird

Reaction score
ah, ok, so we just toss Simmons’ rookie year away

that should be a boon to his overwhelming confidence
Not a chance. I’m not worried about the player, I’m more concerned about the DC effectively using him & others.

If this team is building to win a World Championship, it’s likely going to occur with somebody other than VJ as the DC.

His schemes stink like a week old skunk. His track record speaks volumes imo

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, I just don't agree.

Simmons talent does not require a coach to unleash it, he just makes plays.

Idk. Styles make fights and roles make players. He might be a mold breaker, but I doubt it.