Getting an offensive lineman at #8

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I honestly think our OL wouldn't have given up all the sacks had Gilbert stayed healthy. Sweezy played better than given credit for. What do you think, OL or WR at #8? Murray played well in about 8-9 of the games he played, he did give up some sacks but given the tough spot he was put in, I thought he held up as well as possible. If we don't take an OT at #8, Gilbert & Murray better hold up in 2020 lol.
Looking at the crop of O-Line and WRs in this draft I would go with WR (Lamb in particular). No matter how much guys on this site want to harp on the importance of a RT they are generally not a position you draft in the top 10. The positions you typically want to get at the top of the draft are QB, LT, CB, pass rusher and WR. Every other position can very realistically be filled during free agency and rounds 2-5 of the draft. If the team is very much sold on going RT than I would be for them looking for a trade back scenario to try and get a 2nd round pick.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I honestly think our OL wouldn't have given up all the sacks had Gilbert stayed healthy. Sweezy played better than given credit for. What do you think, OL or WR at #8? Murray played well in about 8-9 of the games he played, he did give up some sacks but given the tough spot he was put in, I thought he held up as well as possible. If we don't take an OT at #8, Gilbert & Murray better hold up in 2020 lol.

There is next to no way that a draftee is going to take Gilbert's starting role, if healthy, in year one.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Don’t assume the Cardinals will pick an OT in 1st round of NFL Draft

It’s possible a plug-and-play defensive player like Isaiah Simmons or Derrick Brown slips in the draft. Brown would slot in as an immediate starter at tackle, while defensive coordinator Vance Joseph would probably be gleeful to carve out a hybrid role for Simmons if he doesn’t immediately become a starting inside linebacker or defensive back.

Even if they’re off the board, Keim will be looking at the tiers of his draft board.

Is the Cardinals’ top offensive tackle even in the same tier of prospects as the top receivers?

Does Keim even have one offensive tackle head-and-shoulders above the rest? What if he’s been drafted already?

https://arizonasports.com/story/229...ls-will-pick-an-ot-in-1st-round-of-nfl-draft/

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
sometimes just dont need to over think it

draft a RT, and the offense is more or less set for the next three years

the positions you need to replace over that time are generally the easiest / cheapest to do

and its not like you have to reach to do so: at#8, an OT is likely the BPA there as well

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we take an offensive player, it has to be an OT. We can get WR anywhere anytime, and are overloaded in the room right now. If you think a dominant O Lineman wouldn't come in and start on our team, where do you think a college WR is going to fit in around Hopkins, Fitz, and Kirk (who is a lot better than people are paying attention to)?

We complain every year about the O Line. Every year. If a high flying offense is going to be the character of this team for the forseeable future, we have to cement it in the trenches. This isn't a Brown vs Peterson situation. We have not adequate power but star power in the WR room. We have UDFA and injury riddled FA's on our line.

Just for reference, here is the Cardinals 20 year illustrious history of drafting offensive linemen anywhere above the last possible day of the draft.

Year

2001 Leonard Davis OT, 1st round, no second contract
2006 Deuce Lutui, G, 2nd round, no second contract (signed a one year after failing physical)
2007 Levi Brown, OT, 1st round, no second contract
2013 Jonathan Cooper, G, 1st round, no second contract
2015 DJ Humphries, OT, 1st round, Just signed 2nd contract
2018 Mason Cole, C, 3rd round, TBD

That's it, for 20 years. One guy resigned, and I get the feeling that even that was out of a little desperation to break this streak. We've always treated the offensive line like an afterthought. Hasn't it shown? The late rounds are littered with guys they took flyers on like Nate Potter, Herman Johnson, Alex Stepanovich, Elton Brown, Brandon Keith, Trevor Canfield. They got lucky on one with Reggie Wells, who is the only other guy in all these years to get a second deal.

Last edited:

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
@AZCrazy

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Brown was cut then re-signed and then in 2013 he was traded to the Steelers.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
was he pushing this truck at the combine when he ran a 5.6? Sorry, couldn’t help myself!

Interesting...Adams had a better combine than Orlando Brown Jr in 2018 (he made Pro Bowl 2019).

Adams was considered a lock first round pick and potentially OT1 at one point before injuries.

I guess you just never know.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose