Legal Tampering/FA Agency Thread. 2020

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Logan is a TE now? You mean - exactly what we all said should be done with him -?

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Report: Broncos, Cardinals, Seahawks have inquired about P.J. Walker

Despite having the season cut short to just five games due to the spread of COVID-19, Houston Roughnecks quarterback P.J. Walker made a strong enough impression to draw interest from NFL teams.

While the exact process of XFL players being made available to the NFL is still unresolved, a handful of teams are apparently already kicking the tires on the possibility. According to Mark Berman of FOX 26 in Houston, the Seattle Seahawks, Arizona Cardinals and Denver Broncos have all contacted the Roughnecks about Walker.

Walker passes for 1,338 yards with 15 touchdowns and four interceptions in his five games for the Roughnecks.

The NFL sent a memo last week to its teams advising that “that they were not permitted to discuss possible employment with players under contract to the XFL” with a reminder that such measures remain in place. However, the note also contained instruction that the league is working to set procedures to enable such movement of players currently under contract with the XFL.

The Seahawks had scouts in attendance to take a look at Walker when Houston played the Seattle Dragons in the last game before the shut down. They don’t currently have a backup to Russell Wilson on the roster as Geno Smith is now an unrestricted free agent. Walker would be an obvious candidate for the job.

Denver and Arizona both already had reserve quarterbacks on their rosters in Brett Rypien and Drew Anderson, respectively. The Broncos also are adding Jeff Driskel to their quarterback roster as well.

The exact nature of the expressed interest in Walker from the teams isn’t clear. Whether any overtures made would conflict with the league advisory also is uncertain. However, whenever the path is cleared for those discussions to move forward, Walker will clearly be a sought after commodity.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Report: Dolphins, Falcons showed most interest in a Todd Gurley trade

The Rams cut running back Todd Gurley on Thursday. Before they did it, they tried to trade him.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Dolphins and Falcons showed the most interest in trading for Gurley, in recent weeks.
Ultimately (obviously) a deal wasn’t done. And now that Gurley has been released, he’s free to sign with any team, at any time. And of his $34.5 million in fully-guaranteed money, offsets apply to only $2.55 million of the compensation he earns elsewhere.

So now the question becomes whether and to what extent he’ll earn significant dollars with a new team. He’s no longer a workhorse tailback, and he’ll be paid accordingly.

There’s another angle to this that merits consideration, and on which no light has been shed. Although Gurley was not released with a failed physical designation, Gurley may argue that he’s not healthy — which would trigger $10.5 million in additional guarantees for 2020 and 2021. While pursuing a new job, he’ll need to consider whether he’ll make more money by taking the position that he’s not healthy enough to pass a physical.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Report: Dolphins, Falcons showed most interest in a Todd Gurley trade

The Rams cut running back Todd Gurley on Thursday. Before they did it, they tried to trade him.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Dolphins and Falcons showed the most interest in trading for Gurley, in recent weeks.
Ultimately (obviously) a deal wasn’t done. And now that Gurley has been released, he’s free to sign with any team, at any time. And of his $34.5 million in fully-guaranteed money, offsets apply to only $2.55 million of the compensation he earns elsewhere.

So now the question becomes whether and to what extent he’ll earn significant dollars with a new team. He’s no longer a workhorse tailback, and he’ll be paid accordingly.

There’s another angle to this that merits consideration, and on which no light has been shed. Although Gurley was not released with a failed physical designation, Gurley may argue that he’s not healthy — which would trigger $10.5 million in additional guarantees for 2020 and 2021. While pursuing a new job, he’ll need to consider whether he’ll make more money by taking the position that he’s not healthy enough to pass a physical.

And now the Falcons got him off the street.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
So do we think the Cardinals are in a "pause"? Letting things settle down getting cap/contract stuff finished before getting back in to adding depth?

I'd be shocked by another starter level free agent being signed anytime soon.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So do we think the Cardinals are in a "pause"? Letting things settle down getting cap/contract stuff finished before getting back in to adding depth?

I'd be shocked by another starter level free agent being signed anytime soon.
I thought they were done after Monday then we signed two lb’s. I have to think we are done until we have time to restructure a few constants.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Cardinals supposedly interested in QB PJ Walker from the XFL. I would guess if they sign him Hundley isn't coming back.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...rested-xfl-standout-backup-murray/2882405001/

There are 3 or 4 teams looking at him...2 issues...1) May have to bid for his services 2) NFL is still working out how to handle XFL players...they previously told teams that XFL players were strictly off limits. I think it may be a week or so, before the two leagues come to an agreement.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
There are 3 or 4 teams looking at him...2 issues...1) May have to bid for his services 2) NFL is still working out how to handle XFL players...they previously told teams that XFL players were strictly off limits. I think it may be a week or so, before the two leagues come to an agreement.

I wouldn't get in a bidding war for him, if his price gets too high just go back to Hundley. Supposedly the XFL signing thing will be done by early next week...so we will see.

I actually wouldn't mind looking to that league to get camp bodies for depth--the NFL minimum is a lot more than they were just playing for and they should be grateful for the chance to make a roster. Who knows may find a diamond in the rough.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose