What’s a prospect that has been mocked to us you really don’t want?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
But they are totally different from an athletic standpoint
Just the size Is the same
Johnson run a 40 closer to 6 seconds
Becton 5.10
Becton has been a much better college player, wasnt very much tested as pass blocker but as a run blocker may be considered one of the best in the recent years
Because how fast a LT runs has always been a great way to scout them.

I am not sold on his pass protection.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Not the run is not important thing in a tackle, but having decent numbers show if they can play at next level and the athletic ability and moreover agility to play against the best pass rusher

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If you think this kid is a finished product then that’s all I need to know. It’s just kind of odd that I can’t find his name at the top of any of the mock drafts from these experts that came out around December. Hmm.

But you know what your probably right he’s been in the conversation all year maybe I just missed it. Hey can you do me a favor? Can you look up all the “experts” and see where they had him in all the first versions of there mocks around December? Or when the college season ended? I’m just having a hard time finding him idk maybe it’s me.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/mekhi-becton?id=32194245-4381-4547-3cf4-9d445d134d9a

They grade him at 6.4 not exactly a ringing endorsement. No mention of hand? It’s all hands on his weakness lol.

• Throws himself off-balance when loading up punch
  • High hands diminish leverage at point of attack
  • Needs to get length involved in the block sooner
  • Needs to cinch and control rather than shoving down blocks/kick-outs
Listen yes he is massive, but he has a long ways to go. His technique is horrible and this is the NFL. Your not going to get by for long just trying to be a better athlete than everyone else especially at that position. Guys like Mack, Miller and Jones can stack moves on top of moves to get to the QB.

The good news is you can teach technique. The bad news is everything I’ve read tells me this kid struggles with weight and that means he might not be the hardest worker and that’s actually kind of natural for guys his size

His technique isnt horrible and he doesnt have "bad hands". He needs to clean up his technique, that's all. Like you said, everything about him is coachable.

Murray didnt have a draft able grade before the season either. That's a poo argument. Quinten William's wasnt a day one or day two pick either. It literally happens EVERY draft.

The guys you should avoid are guys that get the combine hype. Guys that arent even in the conversation until the combine. Becton was already being touted as a top ten pick by the best draft media guys in the business, BASED on what scouts were telling them.

Do I want Becton? No because we have Humphries and I'm not totally crazy about moving tackles around. Is it a crazy idea to draft him? I dont think so, he has top 5% physical traits for the position and that is the type of player teams should be trying to draft in the top ten.

Right now I'm kind of openminded about the direction the Cardinals should go because free agency hasn't even started. The Cardinals have so many needs that Im not going to be able to know which direction to go until after we see the free agent class.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

What I like the least about Becton is that he is HORRIBLE at blocking on the second level, but he is just mauls people so badly at the POA that he still is a major plus.

Thomas, who you know I dont like much, is great at getting to the second level, but you dont see him crushing safeties and backers, you see him play patty cake.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I agree that I'm concerned a little about his pass protection mechanics. He sometimes lets defenders get in too close to him, instead of keeping his arms outstretched. He doesn't do it all the time, and I'm hoping that can be completely coached out of him. If he doesn't, the NFL studs will take advantage of that flaw. That being said, he's a man among boys & nasty to boot!

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
any WR in this draft. Too many good ones available 2/3 round.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really don't want DT Brown.

One trick pony (strength) and poor lateral mobility. His one trick/strength will be neutralized in the NFL and run stuffers are easy to find in FA.

Dude Brown has great lateral movement

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Andrew Thomas looked pretty smooth in drills.

Thomas had a great combine and should really shut anyone up that says he has "slow feet". His footwork drill were text book, better than Wills in my opinion although not much between them.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Thomas had a great combine and should really shut anyone up that says he has "slow feet". His footwork drill were text book, better than Wills in my opinion although not much between them.

Combine vs. Game tape.

Which do you trust?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Combine vs. Game tape.

Which do you trust?

Both because I never thought his feet were slow in game either. The combine only confirms it.

Plus it's not like his feet get slower during a game. If his footwork looks good then it's good all the time.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Both because I never thought his feet were slow in game either. The combine only confirms it.

Plus it's not like his feet get slower during a game. If his footwork looks good then it's good all the time.

No it doesnt. His steps are definitely on the slow side when he fans out in pass pro and he is constantly over extending his arms.

4th best tackle on many boards now.

Wirfs, Becton, and Wills all moved better than he did.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No it doesnt. His steps are definitely on the slow side when he fans out in pass pro and he is constantly over extending his arms.

That's a different problem. He has a small problem with over reaching and losing balance occasionally but it's not footwork related. I've read a lot of opinion on all the tackles. Not seen anybody criticize his footwork and I haven't seen it myself.

I think people are over thinking him. Would not surprise me the slightest if Thomas turns out to be the best tackle in this class. People are over thinking him.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's a different problem. He has a small problem with over reaching and losing balance occasionally but it's not footwork related. I've read a lot of opinion on all the tackles. Not seen anybody criticize his footwork and I haven't seen it myself.

I think people are over thinking him. Would not surprise me the slightest if Thomas turns out to be the best tackle in this class. People are over thinking him.

this is what I’m getting. He’s just good at everything. No real big holes but he’s not the athletic freaks the other guys are so he’s not the sexy pick

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Hence why there is the "and".

He had two problems in his pass sets that are concerns. I'd also like to see be a little more nasty.

Thomas is easily the best at getting to the second level and blocking downfield.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hence why there is the "and".

He had two problems in his pass sets that are concerns. I'd also like to see be a little more nasty.

Thomas is easily the best at getting to the second level and blocking downfield.

More nasty? Many of the profiles on him say he's extremely aggressive, even in pass pro. Some even say so much so as to sometimes cause him problems.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
this is what I’m getting. He’s just good at everything. No real big holes but he’s not the athletic freaks the other guys are so he’s not the sexy pick

That was the word. But it wasn't the case.

His 40 was faster than guys like Josh Jones. His Shuttle was faster than Wills and Wirfs.

His 3 cone was faster than Wirfs and the 2nd fastest of the day (Wills didn't test)

He was 85th percentile all time in Broad jump. 80% in the vertical. 97th percentile arm length.

He had a superb combine and showed he was right up there in athletism.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who was the last DT taken in the top 10 that made an impact?

Also his production on the field wasn't great comparable to quinnen Williams and Ed Oliver
The agility test, being the worst among defensive linemen is a red flag
It will be a problem in the NFL
Is a good player but he isn't worth the top 15 pick

1-Position that barely make a significant impact especially being over 320 pounds
2- productions nothing flashy
3-athletically below average

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Again,

We just aren't seeing the same thing I guess.

Becton's 40 doesn't translate to the LT position. Thomas, Wirfs, and Wills all had better combines IMO. But..... Tomato vs. tomato.

I would rank them (for the Cards):

Wirfs
Wills
Thomas
Becton

As prospects overall:
Thomas
Wirfs
Wills
<Insert huge grand canyon sized divide>
Becton
Jackson

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again,

We just aren't seeing the same thing I guess.

Becton's 40 doesn't translate to the LT position. Thomas, Wirfs, and Wills all had better combines IMO. But..... Tomato vs. tomato.

I would rank them (for the Cards):

Wirfs
Wills
Thomas
Becton

As prospects overall:
Thomas
Wirfs
Wills
<Insert huge grand canyon sized divide>
Becton
Jackson
Honestly, I would rank 3 other OT prospects not even mentioned here before Jackson.

I hope to God that’s not our 2nd round target if we don’t go OL 1st round.