Looking at this draft logically

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How about draft Derrick Brown at #8, sign Judon from the Ravens in FA & draft a WR in round 2? You're right. Lots of different ways to go. We'll have a better feel for it after the FA period ends.

Ravens going to tag Judon apparently

I don't see Brown there at 8. Either the Lions or the Panthers are going to grab him.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals have to do some work in FA to warrant selecting Simmons IMO.
I think Simmons is going to be a star. I also think he is going to end up at safety or olb. Most of the draft site that I’ve visited have listed him as an olb.

If we knew he was able to plug in and play Olb I’m all in. He just doesn’t seem to be ‘thick’ enough to play ILB. Sign a F/A DE, an ILb like Kwiatkowski and
sSimmons at OLB seems exciting.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Simmons is going to be a star. I also think he is going to end up at safety or olb. Most of the draft site that I’ve visited have listed him as an olb.

If we knew he was able to plug in and play Olb I’m all in. He just doesn’t seem to be ‘thick’ enough to play ILB. Sign a F/A DE, an ILb like Kwiatkowski and

I just don't think he fits a 3-4. Big difference between OLB in a 4-3 and a 3-4.

He's not a pass rushing OLB at the LOS.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

You are going to need a very good DC to make Simmons a star because he is so unique and has so little position specific experience. The easiest spot to plug him in is at S where you can play him off the LOS and let him see it and run to it. IMO Kam Chancellor is the blueprint to build off of.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are going to need a very good DC to make Simmons a star because he is so unique and has so little position specific experience. The easiest spot to plug him in is at S where you can play him off the LOS and let him see it and run to it. IMO Kam Chancellor is the blueprint to build off of.
I think you’re right. Derrick Brown is the perfect need for this team. He can play anywhere across the line.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you’re right. Derrick Brown is the perfect need for this team. He can play anywhere across the line.

Our roster has several holes
There are like a dozen of very good defensive lineman available in free agency
We need to get some of the positions that rarely hit the market in terms of pro bowl level
Brown is a 6'5 328 defensive tackle, is a position that doesn't change so much the sort of the franchise from year one

There is a long list of recent top prospects defensive linemen(over 315 lb) praised as no miss prospects who just had a modest impact in their franchise

Don't know why every years many of u still pushing those names who often offers the same impact of 3th/4th round picks

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our roster has several holes
There are like a dozen of very good defensive lineman available in free agency
We need to get some of the positions that rarely hit the market in terms of pro bowl level
Brown is a 6'5 328 defensive tackle, is a position that doesn't change so much the sort of the franchise from year one

There is a long list of recent top prospects defensive linemen(over 315 lb) praised as no miss prospects who just had a modest impact in their franchise

Don't know why every years many of u still pushing those names who often offers the same impact of 3th/4th round picks
You could say that about any position except Qb. Wr’s taken in the 5th outshine 1st round picks and so on. For every failed first round pick there’s a Darnell Dockett.

But first round top 10 picks are graded out based on future impact. Derrick Brown by himself is not going to turn this defense into a top 10 defense. Arron Donald is surrounded by some talent as is Chris Jones.

But a guy like Brown is a good start to providing a piece of the puzzle and build around. Add an Ilb and Olb add things start to take shape.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Defensive linemen over 310 lb drafted top 15 in the recent drafts

2011 nfl draft
3th overall pick Marcell Dareus

11th Dontary Poe
14th Michael Brockers

14th Star Lotulelei

12th Vita Vea
13th Da'ron Payne

13th Christian Wilkins

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kingsbury revealed something new in his Florio interview; namely that he and Keim would try to fill as many roster holes as possible via free agency...and fill any remaining ones via the draft.

Sounds like a departure from the established BPA approach to focus on "need."

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He's a linebacker! IMO.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kingsbury revealed something new in his Florio interview; namely that he and Keim would try to fill as many roster holes as possible via free agency...and fill any remaining ones via the draft.

Sounds like a departure from the established BPA approach to focus on "need."
I think you have to look at the board and kind of figure what type of players might be available when you’re at the podium.

If you believe
( and you like) Brown or Kinlaw will be there at 8 then maybe you don’t look at a DE or DT early in free agency.

I think free agent wr’s are going to take a beating this year with all the talent in this draft.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think you have to look at the board and kind of figure what type of players might be available when you’re at the podium.

If you believe
( and you like) Brown or Kinlaw will be there at 8 then maybe you don’t look at a DE or DT early in free agency.

I think free agent wr’s are going to take a beating this year with all the talent in this draft.
Good take my friend. Hopefully they have a good plan? I want to say SK will just sign what we need or as many as he can during the FA period? Compare that with our board (hopefully a good sized 1st rd list?) Then draft the best player we need next at #8? But with SK in charge I can't really say that. He said on the Doug & Wolfe show they have a good plan in place so that's all we can go by right now. With the WR prospects being deep in this draft, guys like Diggs may not get the money they're asking for?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Good take my friend. Hopefully they have a good plan? I want to say SK will just sign what we need or as many as he can during the FA period? Compare that with our board (hopefully a good sized 1st rd list?) Then draft the best player we need next at #8? But with SK in charge I can't really say that. He said on the Doug & Wolfe show they have a good plan in place so that's all we can go by right now. With the WR prospects being deep in this draft, guys like Diggs may not get the money they're asking for?
Diggs isn't a free agent.

K1Day1

Veteran
Reaction score
Just my observations IMHO..

Just from seeing the QB'S and Wide Revievers.. Herbert seemed to be aiming to much, without a quick release.
Jalen seemed to be more of a typical running QB..
Jeudy looked good but, a little more dependent on route running (Caught more with his hands and looked great).
Though I am kinda partial.. Cee Dee lamb looked the best today ( Especially, that twist and adjustment catch on the sideline), and he seemed to catch more with his hands and not his body as well....
Still very early however, IMO... So far Lamb looked the best with Jeudy being a very very close 2nd.

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm going DE, OLB and ILB in FA and attacking the trenches in the draft.

Fitz may be the best Cards player ever so it is much pain I say wait on WR until the 4th or 5th rd in this draft to take a WR and get the Oline fixed in the draft.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Just my observations IMHO..

Just from seeing the QB'S and Wide Revievers.. Herbert seemed to be aiming to much, without a quick release.
Jalen seemed to be more of a typical running QB..
Jeudy looked good but, a little more dependent on route running (Caught more with his hands and looked great).
Though I am kinda partial.. Cee Dee lamb looked the best today ( Especially, that twist and adjustment catch on the sideline), and he seemed to catch more with his hands and not his body as well....
Still very early however, IMO... So far Lamb looked the best with Jeudy being a very very close 2nd.

I would love to draft Jalen Hurts during day 3. He could be Murray's longterm back up.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As then Combine winds down - my impression is that this is a deep deep draft.

If we can find a good trade-down deal, we'd be smart to consider it if it nets us one or more extra blue chip picks.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen some sights where rb Swift was available in the second round.

1. Lamb
2. Swift
3. Niang
4. Fotu

If we knew Swift was going to be there we could let Drake walk and use that money for free agency on the defense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose