NBA Trade Deadline news and rumors 2019-20 season

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know how trade rumors go. Most of them are speculation by writers with time on their hands.

However, Baynes' name is out there. It has been connected with the Clippers for awhile.

again, I ask is Baynes talked about for HARREL or Zubac? There's a WORLD of difference between the two and anyone who's even entertaining the thought of getting him Baynes is really, really out there.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it would have to be something like Baynes, Bridges, and a pick.

Yeah. that I'd buy... and might even do. Harell brings the dog to the front court that is DESPERATELY needed.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
again, I ask is Baynes talked about for HARREL or Zubac? There's a WORLD of difference between the two and anyone who's even entertaining the thought of getting him Baynes is really, really out there.

Zubac or a first round pick has been mentioned in rumors for Baynes but it's hard to see it happening.

However, the trade deadline was crazy last season. I did see Harrell's name mentioned as well no matter how off base it seems. Because something is mentioned doesn't mean it's happening.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
but for a guy like Baynes?
It would have to include a pick or picks and it would also have to involve them believing that they won't be able to sign him long term in the off season. Without all of that I couldn't see it happening.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Yeah. that I'd buy... and might even do. Harell brings the dog to the front court that is DESPERATELY needed.

Yeah, that deal would be a tough call for me. I admire Bridges's defense, but he'll never be a consistent finisher in traffic. So his ceiling is as an elite and slightly undersized 3-and-D guy, but only if he gets his three-point shooting to 40%+, which I think is a stretch -- he's already 23 and hasn't managed to get it even to 35%.

Obviously Harrell would have to agree to an extension coming in, but it's easier to find another Bridges than it is to find a Harrell. And the Suns don't draft well, so that devalues any pick they hold.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it's an open question whether they'll choose to afford him this off-season. The Clippers figure to be major luxury tax payers, and it's entirely likely that Harkless could command a huge deal -- $100M/4yr wouldn't surprise me, if he hits the open market. Given that he's feuding with his coach, it's possible they'd want to cash him in now rather than wrestle with the prospect of parting ways this summer.

I think foremost the Clippers have to be concerned about winning in the playoffs. They are not gong to give up any player that helps them without a replacement.

Good point about Harkless.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't understand how someone thinks trading a young improving good player like oubre or Bridges is a good idea.

What other young guy is it you think is available - because that is the only way it should be considered.

The way out of our current position is through getting lucky in the draft - that is really the only thing that is going to work.

And getting lucky in the draft isn't going to happen...not when the guy making the draft picks is the only person on the planet who thought Cam Johnson was a Lottery pick...

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not impressed by Zubac, he is limited both athletically and skill-wise.

The Clippers (probably) will not trade Harrell, for rebuilding pieces it is even more unlikely.

The Clippers pick represents the absolut ceilling what the Suns might get for Baynes.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Jones will wait for the draft. Thats where the Suns get their PG of the future. Suns can throw more noodles for a PF in free agency.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jones will wait for the draft. Thats where the Suns get their PG of the future. Suns can throw more noodles for a PF in free agency.

Great. So knowing James Jones and Robert Sarver, we come out of this coming offseason with a severely overrated and overdrafted Nico Mannion and someone like Gallinari, Kanter or Bertans at $22 million a year. That will kill the franchise once and for all.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We gave him a shot last offseason. He all but killed the franchise.

Huh? He just got here. Even with great GM's it can take a few seasons to make a difference. Also, the franchise is already better than it was before he got here. The Suns are one game away from their entire win total last year.

Dude....stop being so chicken little. Yes, Jones has much to prove but sheesh!

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
here is how I’d categorize the players on the roster and how willing I’d be to trade them:

Actively Shop

• Tyler Johnson
  • Frank Kaminsky
  • Dario Saric
  • Aron Baynes
Make Me an Offer:

• Elie Okobo
  • Ricky Rubio
  • Cam Johnson
  • Cheick Diallo
  • Ty Jerome
  • Jalen Lecque
  • Jevon Carter
Offer a King’s Ransom and We’ll Talk

• Kelly Oubre

Untouchable

• Devin Booker
  • Deandre Ayton

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
here is how I’d categorize the players on the roster and how willing I’d be to trade them:

Actively Shop

• Tyler Johnson
  • Frank Kaminsky
  • Dario Saric
  • Aron Baynes
Make Me an Offer:

• Elie Okobo
  • Ricky Rubio
  • Cam Johnson
  • Cheick Diallo
  • Ty Jerome
  • Jalen Lecque
  • Jevon Carter
Offer a King’s Ransom and We’ll Talk

• Kelly Oubre

Untouchable

• Devin Booker
  • Deandre Ayton

I would put everyone in the Make Me an Offer category into the Actively Shop category, with the one exception of Rubio, not that any of them are going to be of interest to anyone. I would put Mikal Bridges with Oubre in the King's Ransom category.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Great. So knowing James Jones and Robert Sarver, we come out of this coming offseason with a severely overrated and overdrafted Nico Mannion and someone like Gallinari, Kanter or Bertans at $22 million a year. That will kill the franchise once and for all.

I'm not sure how overrated is and how overdrafted will be Nico Mannion, but I do like him as a prospect and would be very happy if the Suns can take him if their pick is a non-top4 one. Same goes for Obi Toppin but he is ever more unlikely to be available if the Suns don't get a top4 pick.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not sure how overrated is and how overdrafted will be Nico Mannion, but I do like him as a prospect and would be very happy if the Suns can take him if their pick is a non-top4 one. Same goes for Obi Toppin but he is ever more unlikely to be available if the Suns don't get a top4 pick.

Have you seen Mannion play this season against Wake Forest, Baylor, Gonzaga, St. John's, Oregon, Oregon State and Colorado?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No. And you?

Yes. He has been awful against pretty much every decent opponent he has faced. Awful across the board there, with the exception of playing decent defense in stretches against Pritchard and shooting better from midrange at Oregon (though he was an awful 1-5 from three point range and had twice as many turnovers as assists that game).

One game against decent competition I did not see was the conference opener against ASU, but even in that blowout win, Mannion's numbers were awful. (Even the one decent stat in his 7 assists was countered by 4 turnovers.)

My observation: Mannion wilts under pressure. When he is clearly the best player on the court by a bunch, he shines, but the moment he faces any kind of competition he chokes. Another softy. The NBA will eat him up alive.

Last edited:

TJ

Reaction score

Nico seems like he’ll be Ricky Rubio with a better offensive repertoire. Worth the pick around 8-14 if available.

If you want me to put my UofA homer hat on and tell you who from UofA would fit well for the Suns, it’d
be Zeke Nnaji.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nico seems like he’ll be Ricky Rubio with a better offensive repertoire. Worth the pick around 8-14 if available.

If you want me to put my UofA homer hat on and tell you who from UofA would fit well for the Suns, it’d
be Zeke Nnaji.

I would take Nnaji in a heartbeat. In my opinion he would be a perfect fit here.

Unfortunately, Mannion, at least thus far this season, is looking more like Mustafa Shakur than Ricky Rubio.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I would put everyone in the Make Me an Offer category into the Actively Shop category, with the one exception of Rubio, not that any of them are going to be of interest to anyone. I would put Mikal Bridges with Oubre in the King's Ransom category.
Wow, I actually completely agree.

I would take Nnaji in a heartbeat. In my opinion he would be a perfect fit here.

Unfortunately, Mannion, at least thus far this season, is looking more like Mustafa Shakur than Ricky Rubio.

And this too!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

be Zeke Nnaji.

If only he is on the board when the Suns draft and they take him. I have no confidence in the Suns scouting.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If only he is on the board when the Suns draft and they take him. I have no confidence in the Suns scouting.

Nor do I, and I have even less confidence in James Jones picking and Sarver's continued meddling.

Most likely Suns Lottery pick, based on the M.O. of both:

Nico Mannion
Markus Howard
Payton Pritchard
Jordan Nwora
Paul Reed
Omer Yurtseven
Deni Avdija
Udo Azubuike
Chris Smith

Who the Suns SHOULD be targeting:

Vernon Carey
Isaiah Stewart
Zeke Nnaji
Onyeka Okongwu
Obi Toppin
Precious Achiuwa
Tyrese Haliburton

Players the Suns should be avoiding at all costs:

Mannion
Avdija
LaMelo Ball
Jaden McDaniels
Theo Maledon
RJ Hampton
Tyrese Maxey

TJ

Reaction score

Doesn’t help that Jones was critical of Sean Miller’s coaching when Ayton was drafted.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose