University of Iowa Tackle Tristen Wirfs

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I watch a bunch of Iowa games and am convinced that Tristen Wirfs will be a star at the next level. Top Iowa prospects seem to always translate well to the NFL especially the offensive linemen. Wirfs is a unique Iowa lineman in that he is in addition to being a great tactician, he is also a special athlete. Supposedly the Iowa record for hang clean was 450 lbs. There is a video showing Wirfs also cleaning 450 lbs, but instead of just one rep, he completes 4 reps. Wirfs plays with a really nasty streak and has great power. He was a star wrestler in the best wrestling state in the country. If the Cards keep DJ at left tackle, and add Wirfs for the right side, the Cards would be set for years.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Nothing against Wirfs or Iowa (love the Hawkeyes)...

But you can count on one hand the number "star" Iowa OL taken in the last 20 years.

Brandon Scherff - 2015 (Tackle moved to Guard in NFL)
Bryan Bulaga - 2010 (solid but not a star IMO)
Marshal Yanda - 2007 (One of the best G's in NFL)

Robert Gallery and Riley Rieff were also drafted high but had average at best careers.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I watch a bunch of Iowa games and am convinced that Tristen Wirfs will be a star at the next level. Top Iowa prospects seem to always translate well to the NFL especially the offensive linemen. Wirfs is a unique Iowa lineman in that he is in addition to being a great tactician, he is also a special athlete. Supposedly the Iowa record for hang clean was 450 lbs. There is a video showing Wirfs also cleaning 450 lbs, but instead of just one rep, he completes 4 reps. Wirfs plays with a really nasty streak and has great power. He was a star wrestler in the best wrestling state in the country. If the Cards keep DJ at left tackle, and add Wirfs for the right side, the Cards would be set for years.

he doesn’t play with a nasty streak at all the book on him and that he’s a real nice guy. He’s the one I stay far away from but some guys love him here

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They sure can produce TE's, 2 in the first rd last yr. I do know that. I'd rather have Andrew Thomas or Derrick Brown.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If we end up with pick #13 Wirfs might very well be the BPA at that point anyway.

He might be best suited to play RT, but he gives us the flexibility to franchise DJ Humphries and watch him for a year.

If DJ gets hurt again or his play slips we might see enough out of Wirfs to move him to LT the following year.

I don't think we are going to be in a position to trade down and get extra picks unless we end up at #6....but man would I love to see us trade down several times and just load up on O and D lineman in the first 2 rounds of the draft.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we end up with pick #13 Wirfs might very well be the BPA at that point anyway.

He might be best suited to play RT, but he gives us the flexibility to franchise DJ Humphries and watch him for a year.

If DJ gets hurt again or his play slips we might see enough out of Wirfs to move him to LT the following year.

I don't think we are going to be in a position to trade down and get extra picks unless we end up at #6....but man would I love to see us trade down several times and just load up on O and D lineman in the first 2 rounds of the draft.
Yes. But then we need to hope and pray we didn’t pass on the next all pro anything.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I am a fan of Wirfs. I think you take lineman who you think can be special regardless of T, G or C. I don't think the Eagles hate that Lane Johnson is a RT. I think they love having a great OT.

Problem is there were 5 offensive lineman taken in the top 10 that year...each team thought they were "special"

Lane Johnson is great when he is playing but he has also been injured way too much.

You must be registered for see images attach

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Problem is there were 5 offensive lineman taken in the top 10 that year...each team thought they were "special"

Lane Johnson is great when he is playing but he has also been injured way too much.

You must be registered for see images attach
Eric Fisher has been good. Land Johnson has been good.

How appropriate that the Chiefs and Eagles (historically better franchises) got their picks right while the Jaguars, Cardinals and Titans got their picks wrong. Being flat wrong on Cooper has still made me gun shy regarding Gs in round 1. That being said, seeing Quenton Nelson has helped me understand the difference.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
“If” is the key word. If the Cards tag Humphries. If the Cards decide RT is their biggest need. If he’s still there at 9 and if the Cards think he can develop in some key areas he could well be the choice. He starting to slip on some of the rankings but remains in the top 7 on most.

Most RTs want to move left. Wirfs is fine where he is. He can probably move left but that’s not a certainty. His best skill is pass blocking. He’s a mountain of a man who’s hard to get around even when he misses the block, which is rare. You may see a scout talk about good hip hinge. This enables him to stay balanced and bend properly. This results in greater smoothness to his movement. Add in his quick feet and he is great at mirroring. This ability to keep his assignment squared up allows him to neutralize many rushers. This also gives him the ability to slide back inside effectively allowing him to control stunts and provide inside gap help.

He uses his hands well with a good punch but sometimes misses which can leave him off balance. His biggest drawback in pass protection is opening his hips too quickly which allows speed rushers to loop outside and neutralize his power.

There is also an issue with run blocking. He should be a great drive blocker but he isn’t. He’s simply more effective when his opponents have to come to him. He’s not terrible but he’s not agile in space so he rarely accomplishes strong second level blocks. He is not a tackle that pulls. He won’t be moved inside to guard.

As to the rumor he’s not mean enough, I think you can discount it. He’s very competitive and that should be enough. He tends to not finish blocks on occasion. That probably gave rise to the concern. People I’ve talked to say he’s tough enough.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
@Harry

As of today, who are your top 5 OT's?

Is there a starting T you think would be there with our 2nd pick?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
“If” is the key word. If the Cards tag Humphries. If the Cards decide RT is their biggest need. If he’s still there at 9 and if the Cards think he can develop in some key areas he could well be the choice. He starting to slip on some of the rankings but remains in the top 7 on most.

Most RTs want to move left. Wirfs is fine where he is. He can probably move left but that’s not a certainty. His best skill is pass blocking. He’s a mountain of a man who’s hard to get around even when he misses the block, which is rare. You may see a scout talk about good hip hinge. This enables him to stay balanced and bend properly. This results in greater smoothness to his movement. Add in his quick feet and he is great at mirroring. This ability to keep his assignment squared up allows him to neutralize many rushers. This also gives him the ability to slide back inside effectively allowing him to control stunts and provide inside gap help.

He uses his hands well with a good punch but sometimes misses which can leave him off balance. His biggest drawback in pass protection is opening his hips too quickly which allows speed rushers to loop outside and neutralize his power.

There is also an issue with run blocking. He should be a great drive blocker but he isn’t. He’s simply more effective when his opponents have to come to him. He’s not terrible but he’s not agile in space so he rarely accomplishes strong second level blocks. He is not a tackle that pulls. He won’t be moved inside to guard.

As to the rumor he’s not mean enough, I think you can discount it. He’s very competitive and that should be enough. He tends to not finish blocks on occasion. That probably gave rise to the concern. People I’ve talked to say he’s tough enough.
That is what I have seen. He toughs it out and tends match aggression vs bringing his own aggression. He is one of those rare types where he is a special athlete playing OT. His ability to move and bend is pretty special in my non-professional opinion. Maybe that is why I am comfortable with him at the top of round 1. As unique as Isaiah Simmons is to playing LB, Wirfs is similarly special to playing OL.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
For me, that is the difference between Wirfs and Wills/Thomas...Wirfs appears to be much more of an athlete. To give perspective, he is rumored to have a vertical of 35-inches. Aaron Donald's was 32-inches.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
For me, that is the difference between Wirfs and Wills/Thomas...Wirfs appears to be much more of an athlete. To give perspective, he is rumored to have a vertical of 35-inches. Aaron Donald's was 32-inches.

Then he should be dominating Big 10 players..but he isn't.

He does look very athletic and he may be better suited for LT.

Thomas is a pure LT.

Wills is as good or better in pass pro but blows Wirfs away in run blocking IMO.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then he should be dominating Big 10 players..but he isn't.

He does look very athletic and he may be better suited for LT.

Thomas is a pure LT.

Wills is as good or better in pass pro but blows Wirfs away in run blocking IMO.
Except....he has.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What game did he dominate? I see an athletic guy out there dancing around but not making a difference in the run game. He won't "out athletic" many people in the NFL.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Please stop overthinking when it comes to Wirfs.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

I respect your opinion Dvontel.

Wills is the complete package (pass and run blocking). Compare that to Wills RT #74 (skip first video on Burrows):

https://twitter.com/colecubelic/status/1083220868677939201

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I would be fine with Wirfs as the selection. I must admit the thought of being able to draft CeeDee Lamb is exciting for me but by the same token being 'boring' and going OL might make our win total more exciting :)

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is what I have seen. He toughs it out and tends match aggression vs bringing his own aggression. He is one of those rare types where he is a special athlete playing OT. His ability to move and bend is pretty special in my non-professional opinion. Maybe that is why I am comfortable with him at the top of round 1. As unique as Isaiah Simmons is to playing LB, Wirfs is similarly special to playing OL.

I get it you like him but your really overacting here. Isiah Simmons is the best pound for pound athlete in this draft if’s Wirfs was that kind of athlete and freak guess what position he wouldn’t be playing...RT.

he’s pretty much regarded as the 3rd best offensive lineman in the draft.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

gotta be honest not really impressed by any of that. A RT blowing up a CB is ok but your supposed to do that. I see a lot of bad DE play and guys slipping and sliding before even being touched

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The best case scenario is ending up at #6, and having someone want to come up for a QB. We could trade down and stockpile O-Line and D-Line talent.

Give me 2 O-Lineman and 2 D-Lineman in the first 2 days of the draft (regardless of how that happens) and we will have done more to build a winning team than any other possibility.

Skill players can be bought in FA. Elite Lineman no longer become available because they are the rarest thing in the NFL outside of elite QB's.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

The first issue can mtl, be coached up to maximize effeciency.

The second gives me some concerns taking him in the top 10. We need THE total package there at a premium position.