Are we really going to retool the OL? Draft & FA needs.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Every position on this roster can be improved upon with possible exception of starting QB. That includes all 5 positions on the OL. The problem is MillerKeim has not shown the ability to fix the OL.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Every position on this roster can be improved upon with possible exception of starting QB. That includes all 5 positions on the OL. The problem is MillerKeim has not shown the ability to fix the OL.

And maybe OLB (C. Jones) is an exception too. :)

But you're basically right.

The big question for me is, going into the off-season, do you split your FA and draft resources 50/50 among the offense and defense, or do you allocate more to one side of the ball?

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, I don't study teams and players like a lot of folks on here do:rolleyes:, so, most of what I know, or think I know, is what I read on here and watch the games on TV, listen to on ESPN:).

But, from what I've read on here, knowledgeable (?) people say that if our defense was a little bit better, we may have an extra couple of wins? :billthecat:

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

The big question for me is, going into the off-season, do you split your FA and draft resources 50/50 among the offense and defense, or do you allocate more to one side of the ball?

It depends on who comes available in FA and who declares vs how the coaches and GM scout our own talent.

I’d love to have a 10 million center but it’s moot if there aren’t any to be had.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Chandler Jones will start to decline sooner rather than later so his presence should not dissuade from addressing the position. That was the crux of the argument for drafting Bosa.

I would say not to get hung up on how to use the resources and focus on upgrades across the board. Let the draft come to them and be targeted in the FA market. I have virtually zero faith in Keim so not complicating the decisions Meathead makes would be wise.

Reactions: HGC

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chandler Jones will start to decline sooner rather than later so his presence should not dissuade from addressing the position. That was the crux of the argument for drafting Bosa.

I would say not to get hung up on how to use the resources and focus on upgrades across the board. Let the draft come to them and be targeted in the FA market. I have virtually zero faith in Keim so not complicating the decisions Meathead makes would be wise.

Jones is not a speed rusher, he is a pass rusher with great tecnique and with amazing body flessibility due to his yoga training and hard work during the years
Im sure his decline will come far away

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Can't argue with that, he was better. If we can't draft a bulldozing center in the 3rd or 4th round we should keep him? Problem is, our team needs should lead us to other positions & that type of center will be long gone by the 3rd & 4th rds.

Forming a great OL comes with coaching and a scouting department which listens to the OL coach and can find what he wants which usually for that position does not even have to be in the third or fourth round... Sendlein went undrafted, though it's the tackles which usually require a high pick because they have to be athletic instead of just strong

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
DRAFT TRACKER
Round 1 • Pick 1 (1) • QB Kyler Murray
Round 2 • Pick 1 (33) • CB Byron Murphy Jr.
Round 2 • Pick 30 (62) • WR Andy Isabella
Round 3 • Pick 1 (65) • DE Zach Allen
Round 4 • Pick 1 (103) • WR Hakeem Butler
Round 5 • Pick 1 (139) • S Deionte Thompson
Round 6 • Pick 1 (174) • WR KeeSean Johnson
Round 6 • Pick 6 (179) • OL Lamont Gaillard
Round 7 • Pick 34 (248) • OL Joshua Miles
Round 7 • Pick 35 (249) • DE Michael Dogbe
Round 7 • Pick 40 (254) • TE Caleb Wilson

OL and DE hopefully all those guys develop. I do think if we can get a top DE in the draft I would hope we go that route. Would be nice to get OL higher up in the draft in the second and third rounds.

Last edited:

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
8 players left from BA team, stupid turnover under Wilkes.
Don’t matter, best oline in the nfl will fail unless we run more every game - except the ones we won

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I know how most of you feel about SK, he's failed with alot of players, some due to bad luck with injuries & others were just bad signing/picks. He may have got this OL right? This OL is averaging 5.0 YPC, only 5 other teams are averaging as many or more. They have only 2 rush attempts with negative YDS which is tops in the NFL. They've scored 9 rushing TD's, only 12 other teams have as many or more. Imagine how much better this OL would be had Marcus Gilbert not gotten hurt? SK had enough sense to go out & hire one of the best OL coaches in the league, Sean Kugler.

D.J Humphries:
His contract is up after this season, quality Tackles are hard to find so we will probably sign him, unless we can get Thomas in the draft & move Humphries over to RT, we should resign him? Seems to be staying healthy in this system.

Justin Pugh:
He has 3 yrs left on his contract after this season. He's stayed injury free so far, played well & man, what a job he did against the 49ers moving over to play RT out of position.

A.Q. Shipley:
His contract is up after this year but he's played well. Beat out Mason Cole for the starting job after coming back from an ACL injury. I know some of you want a bulldozing type center but we have more team needs. Those type of centers will be gone quickly in the 1st RD & we need not pick one with our 1st pick. Either resign him or use Mason Cole.

J.R Sweezy:
He has 1 YR left on his contract after this season. That man hasn't allowed a sack all season (he did sack KM in a preseason game though lol) he's graded out with PFF higher than any other OL on our team most games this season. Won't have to worry about him until after next season.

Justin Murray:
He's played well at times, did a hell of a job against the Lions, considering he had only been with the team a few days before playing them. We should resign him for depth. Sean Kugler could probably turn him into a starter or quality backup with a full off-season working with him.

Max Garcia:
I have no clue, he just came off the injury list & hasn't played a down with us yet, the coaches should know soon what he can & can't do? He's still young but has an injury history.

Marcus Gilbert:
His contract is up after this season, he's getting into his early 30's but when healthy (not often) he's still considered a top 10 tackle in the NFL. Since he tore an ACL, we should be able to sign him to a cheap 1 YR prove it deal & see what happens? Backup or starter depending on his health & what we do in FA & the draft with the OL.

TE:
Max Williams:
Contract expires after this season. He's played very well, catches every ball thrown his way. Has yet to drop a pass to my knowledge? We should resign him, he's still young.

Charles Clay:
He's caught every pass thrown his way to my knowledge. He's getting up in age but is still serviceable. FO decision on him, depends on whether we could draft a better one or not?

Darrell Daniels:
He can be replaced if need be.

DL:

Corey Peters:
He has 1 YR left on his contract after this season. Love the dude, he's a University of Kentucky product & I watched him develop all 4 yrs there being a season ticket holder. He pushes his man into the backfield almost every time & has at least 2 sacks so far. He's getting older & I think we should seriously consider drafting a disruptive DT with our first pick in the 2020 draft.

Zach Allen:
Rookie but has alot of potential. High motor guy that doesn't give up on a play. Think Kyle Vanden Bosh.

Bullard, Kerr & McDonald:
All 3 of their contacts expire at the end of this season. Coaches & FO decisions on them for depth & depending who we draft & sign?

LB:

Chandler Jones:
He's under contract for 2 Yrs after this season, need I say more? He's a beast.

Jordan Hicks:
He's under contract for 3 more Yrs after this season. Wish he was a little faster in coverage though but in the top 10 with tackling this season.

Haason Reddick:
He has 2 Yrs left on his contract. He's made some plays this YR but cannot cover a TE, may need to switch back to DE?

Turner & Gardeck:
Each have 1 Yr left on their contracts, we could replace them but Gardeck is good on special teams.

Reed & Walker:
Both their contracts expire after this season. They will be replaced imo.

Cassius Marsh:
His contract expires after this season. Plays with a high motor, I hope we resign him.

Safeties:

Baker & the Thompson twins:
Budda is good in run support playing close to the LOS & the twins are rookies that will only get better. We're good there but we may sign a veteran?

Sweezy sacked KM in game one of the season, not pre-season.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
I think the Card's roster is not that far away from being playoff worthy. We need significant upgrades in 5 positions and this can possibly be done in one offseason. In no order of priority we need the following upgrades.

• OLB
  • ILB
  • DL
  • OT
  • WR
In free agency I'd look for difference makers at any of these 5 positions. If we can sign 2 or 3 above average players at any of these positions we'd be set for the draft where we should be able to get 2, maybe 3 quality players. Of course the key is picking the right free agents and draft choices. I don't know if the Card's front office is up to the challenge. We can only hope and maybe pray a little bit or at least mutter a few incantations!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I am really curious why people think JR Sweezy is better than league average? Because, if you think he is, we should probably avoid a high round WR because Sweezy is worse at pass blocking.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I say draft Andrew Thomas, if somehow we end up picking #10 or later look at Tristan Wirfs or Austin Jackson if you can trade down while collecting more picks. Thomas would be ideal in that you can pay less for DJ to play RT or let him go and either draft a RT in middle rounds or look at FA RT's like Jack Conkin or Bryan Baluga. I would look at Andrus Peat of NO and let Pugh / Sweezey platoon at other OG spot, Sweezey is a FA at then end of next year anyway so there would be no long term log jam at the position. Let Cole and Galliard battle it out for C job.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Imo, we should build the defense first, through FA & the draft, only way we don't use our first pick on defense is if Thomas from Georgia is available? Otherwise, Defense, Defense & Defense. Our offense is scoring enough points to keep us in games, the defense is what's failing this team right now.

Dingding

Veteran
Reaction score
Those expecting all the picks to used on OL need to be realistic. The D sucks too.

Cards aren’t going to redo every position on the line. I can’t see letting Hump go and needing a center and 2 tackles. No one wants to come here in free agency and Kiem brings in injury prone guys.