OT - Andrew Luck retires

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ You call him a great player when he played, then why is he not a great player, period?
How long does his career have to be for you to call him a great player?

Great player when he played but he played less than 100 games in his NFL career at a position where great ones play many more games.

I think of Palmer as an injury prone guy, and a very good NFL career with a few great years, he played nearly 100 more games than Luck, more than twice as many.

Objectively Luck had 3 great seasons as an NFL QB, 14, 16 and 18. His rookie year was somewhat remarkable in that he inherited a team that had been terrible(2-14) and took them to an 11-5 record, with an interim coach(Arians) but I wouldn't call it a great year. It was just evidence of what the difference is between no NFL caliber qb and an NFL caliber QB as a rookie, with good coaching and an improved team around him. winning 9 more games was pretty impressive as a rookie.

If you ask me in 14, 16 or 18 was he a great QB the answer would be yes, those years he was. Over the career is he a great NFL QB, I'd have to say no he just didn't play long enough.

I'm amazed more guys don't retire early with all the evidence of long term health problems.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As long as NFL teams release players regardless of where they are in the contract or how much of their health they've sacrificed, it's hard for me to criticize a retirement. The timing is unfortunate for the Colts, but timing is unfortunate for players and their families all the time.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Does everyone understand how valuable is one's health?

That if you're in poor health, your life pretty much sucks?

If a couple of doctors told him, "hey, one more hit to your shoulder (or neck or whatever), and you'll be on pain meds for the rest of your life" then he has to hang it up, right then and there. And it's not even close guys.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW!

Didn't hear about this till late last night. Was at the Disney D23 Expo all week and am still catching up.

This has to be the most shocking retirement in NFL history. I don't think anyone saw this coming!

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fans aren't keeping up....

Many fans, it seems, are struggling to accept that the players who entertain them on NFL Sundays are evolving, and that even the type of idealized athlete who drew many fans to football—the hard-nosed, rugged guy who repeatedly and eagerly sacrificed his body, enduring unimaginable pain for the sake of the game—has been pushed to the outer limits of what any human body can tolerate. The fame, wealth, and adulation that pro athletes receive are no longer enough to make them suffer in silence. For more and more athletes, the price of pain is getting way too high.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...k-got-wise-but-fans-werent-keeping-up/596893/

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Who is putting the gun to their heads to play?

Why are the fans supposed to look at the player humanely?

Its a job, and its entertainment. When did it become the fan's responsibility to think of these player's feelings?

If they do mot eant to play, then do not play. A fan invested in the team wants to get angry a player is not playing or left, it is thier right to do so.

Andrew Luck is not getting forced to play nor is he being put in jail for quitting.

Some fans got mad at the situation......whoop t frickin' doo.

I guess Luck will have to cry himself to sleep on a pile of money while living a life of almost absolute freedom.

People are getying a little to preachy on ethics of being a fan, JMHO.

Its a business.

Until Luck eats dinner at my table and pays some household bills, unfortunately I do not really care what he has to endure. I have a sneaking suspicion he feels the same.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Does everyone understand how valuable is one's health?

That if you're in poor health, your life pretty much sucks?

If a couple of doctors told him, "hey, one more hit to your shoulder (or neck or whatever), and you'll be on pain meds for the rest of your life" then he has to hang it up, right then and there. And it's not even close guys.

Yup.

Does anyone realize that people suffer from work done that are not professional athletes and do not make millions of dollars doing it?

This is nothing new in life, and it is not specific just to sports.

Luck has every right to make his choice.

Fans have every right to react how they deem fit.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who is putting the gun to their heads to play? uhh, no one, he quit

Why are the fans supposed to look at the player humanely? I dunno, maybe because they're people

Its a job, and its entertainment. When did it become the fan's responsibility to think of these player's feelings? You're right, I don't give a rats ass about the checker at Home Depot either.

If they do mot eant to play, then do not play. A fan invested in the team wants to get angry a player is not playing or left, it is thier right to do so. Agree

Andrew Luck is not getting forced to play nor is he being put in jail for quitting. Agree

Some fans got mad at the situation......whoop t frickin' doo. As you said, it's their right

I guess Luck will have to cry himself to sleep on a pile of money while living a life of almost absolute freedom. No one lives a life of absolute freedom no matter their life situation, imo

People are getying a little to preachy on ethics of being a fan, JMHO. Take what works for you and throw the rest away.

Its a business. Everything on the planet is a business or some kind of trade off in one form or another, imo

Until Luck eats dinner at my table and pays some household bills, unfortunately I do not really care what he has to endure. I have a sneaking suspicion he feels the same. Oh the humanity of us all.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy I hate these tapatalk thingys... /:")

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The best take I’ve heard about the fans boo’ing was from Wilbon who said sports fans just don’t have any shame and aren’t embarrassed by their actions. Simple and true.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That Junior Seau 30 for 30 is heart breaking man.

He shot himself in the chest and left a note saying he wanted his Brain donated and examined.

People really have no idea what they are watching on Sunday’s.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
I feel sorry for season ticket holders who bought expecting Luck to play. It would have been better to decide this when last season ended.

I don’t feel sorry for anyone that can afford season tickets. You buy tickets to a movie not knowing if it’s good or bad. Same thing on a larger scale.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's unfortunate that some, and I emphasize some fans dehumanized that situation & booed Luck coming off the field. But, the team allowing that info to be leaked, are the real culprits here. Shame on them too! You will always have mob rule idiots that will do something like that because they can't be singled out individually, and thus can't be held accountable for being stupid. You have one moron boo, and then a bunch more join in because for that split second, they thought it appropriate. I'd be willing to bet that most of the fans that booed, felt bad that they did, once they had time to digest the situation. I'm sure that Luck understands that.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It's unfortunate that some, and I emphasize some fans dehumanized that situation & booed Luck coming off the field. But, the team allowing that info to be leaked, are the real culprits here. Shame on them too! You will always have mob rule idiots that will do something like that because they can't be singled out individually, and thus can't be held accountable for being stupid. You have one moron boo, and then a bunch more join in because for that split second, they thought it appropriate. I'd be willing to bet that most of the fans that booed, felt bad that they did, once they had time to digest the situation. I'm sure that Luck understands that.
To be fair to the fans in that situation. They were literally just finding out about the news while the game was happening and I am sure a good amount of them that had downed a few alchoholic beverages by that point. Therefor they weren't all thinking clearly and also hadn't had any chance to process everything yet. A decent example of this is comparing the game threads around here to the normal day to day threads. A lot of ridiculous comments getting tossed around on gameday that people don't necessarily say after they have had some time to think about what happened.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I've got nothing but loads of respect for the guy... and I love his tweets!!

Capt. Andrew Luck Bids Farewell to His Unit

You must be registered for see images attach

Dearest friends —

I hope this letter finds you all well. Life on the family farm is just as I remembered. I have been up at the crack of dawn each day, sometimes crowing before the rooster. Oh, how he hates to be beaten. The hogs were so happy to see me, they could barely contain themselves in the pin. Dearest mother is in tremendous spirits. She was elated for my final return—all in one piece. She insists I pass along her well-wishes and assure you she fully intends to keep the unit stocked with batches of Squirrel Oil for your upcoming battles.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/28/c...E_7EV68kR3Bmf3ILf73VWfaoQzAXG6HoR4FrNp-wPMXPU

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose