Supplementary Draft pick 5th rounder - Jalen Thompson

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So is this guy worth the first pick in the 5th round of the 2020 draft?

For what it is worth, some say the Cardinals liked Jalen Thompson as much or more than fifth round pick safety Deionte Thompson.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This is a solid selection as some rated him a round 4 talent or slightly better. He fits the Cards’ need to cover slot receivers and tight ends. He has good speed, good hand and excellent agility. He’ll need to add muscle to be an effective NFL run defender but his tackling form is solid. He has plenty of aggressiveness. All this is not to say he’s elite yet. His aggressiveness can cause him to take himself out of plays. He’s also sometimes gets fooled by play action.

He apparently was flagged for a banned substance and lost his final year of eligibility.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is this as well.

John Gambadoro‏Verified account @Gambo987

Some projections had Jalen Thompson with a second round grade for next years draft so Cardinals getting him with a 5th round supplemental pick could be a steal. He had 39 consecutive starts at Wash St can play the nickel and has excellent man cover skills. Lacks some size

1:44 PM - 10 Jul 2019

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is this as well.

John Gambadoro‏Verified account @Gambo987

Some projections had Jalen Thompson with a second round grade for next years draft so Cardinals getting him with a 5th round supplemental pick could be a steal. He had 39 consecutive starts at Wash St can play the nickel and has excellent man cover skills. Lacks some size

1:44 PM - 10 Jul 2019
Having two fifth round picks to play with, certainly helped.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Well we have a habit of wasting picks in the same round on the same position in back to back years. I guess they are hoping at least one pans out, just like the QB position.

We're losing Swearinger after next season, so we kind of need as many bodies as possible in the fold. Had Thompson played this season, he's a 2nd-3rd round pick in 2020. I see nothing wrong with this selection, especially since we had multiple 2020 5th round picks.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
So we have drafted the Thompson Twins at safety... that should add some 'pop' :)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
sooooo close to just posting “If I wwas King for just one day, I’d take him” without first looking to see if someone beat me to the Thompson Twins reference.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...-for-cardinals-pick-of-safety-jalen-thompson/

Cardinals select Jalen Thompson in Round 5
Grade: A-

Arizona has undergone one of the fastest roster overhauls I can remember under new head coach Kliff Kingsbury, and Thompson brings more versatile talent to what's quickly become an underrated secondary and safety group.

Last week, I wrote that Thompson was worthy of a Round 2 or Round 3 pick, and while that was strictly based on his film, his off-field issues don't appear to be hugely concerning, as it was reported he took an over-the-counter supplement banned by the NCAA, which led to him losing his final year of college eligibility in 2020.

At his pro day workout, Thompson measured in just over 5-foot-10 and 186 pounds, and his lack of size is the main ding I have on him as a prospect. He ran a 4.47 and 4.56 in the 40-yard dash, had a 33.5-inch vertical, and a 6.98 three-cone drill. The latter of those times would've been the sixth-fastest among all safeties at the 2019 NFL Combine. He has cornerback-like man coverage skills, twitchy athleticism, an aggressive nature when ranging all over the field in run support, and plus ball skills, as evidenced by his 10 pass breakups and six interceptions over the past two seasons with the Cougars.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
We're losing Swearinger after next season, so we kind of need as many bodies as possible in the fold. Had Thompson played this season, he's a 2nd-3rd round pick in 2020. I see nothing wrong with this selection, especially since we had multiple 2020 5th round picks.
Especially smart for Keim, who needs all of the ammo he can get, and might not be around to use any picks next year.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the comparison I read a few weeks back based on his ability to tackle and play in the box.
That is what the article said. I watched the Crazy Pirate's team several times last year (to me, Mike Leach is must see TV) and I would lying if I said I remember him well. But he did seem to be more of a free safety and slot CB than SS/LB. That was my impression.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we have drafted the Thompson Twins at safety... that should add some 'pop' :)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Just when I thought I was over the horror of The Thompson Twins..... you post this!!! :hairraise :hairraise :hairraise

:lol:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
So is this guy worth the first pick in the 5th round of the 2020 draft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We won’t be picking first in the 5th round next year :mrgreen:

I do like him better the Deonte Thompson though. I think he’s slightly bigger & a better hitter.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We may lose him after next season.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Slot safeties are really valuable in the modern NFL.

Love this pick. His draw back is that he's not a plus run defender, but he's one of the best slot defenders in college football.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Jalen T. should be in the mix in the nickle right off the bat.

The Cardinals will be waiver wire watching very closely for a vet S pick up in final cuts this year, mtl.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose