What is the plan?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

No need for a panicky overpay.

Bogdanovic got 73 over 4 years and he is far more proven than Oubre. I think the Suns should offer him 60-64 mil, 4 years and tell him that they like him a lot, they want to keep him and they'll match if he finds better.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bogdanovic got 73 over 4 years and he is far more proven than Oubre. I think the Suns should offer him 60-64 mil, 4 years and tell him that they like him a lot, they want to keep him and they'll match if he finds better.

4 for 60 is exactly what I was thinking.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bojan is 30, Kelly is still just 23. Oubre was hit and miss with the Wizards and if you just look at his time there, I'd agree that Bojan has proven more than Kelly. But IMO Kelly showed more promise in his short run with the Suns than Bojan has shown in his time in the league. To me, that contract suggests that we'll have to offer 20M per minimum.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No need for a panicky overpay.

And if an attempt to save a dime or two results in antagonizing a young player that thought he'd found a home? I'm pretty sure figures have passed both ways, we need to stay consistent with those numbers and not backtrack because the market might have given us a brief advantage. There is still money out there and that's without considering the sign and trade possibilities that could bring in even more suitors.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
And if an attempt to save a dime or two results in antagonizing a young player that thought he'd found a home? I'm pretty sure figures have passed both ways, we need to stay consistent with those numbers and not backtrack because the market might have given us a brief advantage. There is still money out there and that's without considering the sign and trade possibilities that could bring in even more suitors.

Antagonizing? He’s lucky the Suns rescued him from that DC tire fire. I would still watch out for the Clippers if they panic after missing on Kawhi.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am guessing they made him a good offer—something like 5/75 but he thinks he can do better and is out there working to get a better deal. The Suns will probably match whatever offer he gets.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's possible that Detroit could want off of Blake Griffin's contract by the deadline if they flounder. His contract is huge but he'll only have 2.5 years left (expiring at after the 21-22 season) and he will be 32 in the final year of the contract.

A trade of Tyler Johnson, Jackson, and Saric would work and would all be expiring for them.

Rubio
Booker
Oubre/Bridges
Griffin
Ayton

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oubre doesn't need to agree now. There is no rush. Teams can't officially ink players to deals as of yet. They can agree to terms but deals won't go through until July 6th. There is no reason for a team to tip their hand with a restricted free agent early either. They can't sign them to an offer sheet until the 6th, which is when the clock starts on the 2 days to match. The only restricted free agents that announced deals so far were sign and trades.

Link with info on the July 6th date for when signing can actually begin...

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...everything-to-know-about-this-summers-market/

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Oubre doesn't need to agree now. There is no rush. Teams can't officially ink players to deals as of yet. They can agree to terms but deals won't go through until July 6th. There is no reason for a team to tip their hand with a restricted free agent early either. They can't sign them to an offer sheet until the 6th, which is when the clock starts on the 2 days to match. The only restricted free agents that announced deals so far were sign and trades.

Link with info on the July 6th date for when signing can actually begin...

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...everything-to-know-about-this-summers-market/
Let's hope that that's what Oubre and the Suns are doing.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just as an aside there. We have to create about $2.9 million to finish signing Rubio. We could renounce Oubre, stretch Tyler, and trade JJ (with assets). IOW, we could generate about $26 million in space right now if we wanted. Is there a free agent out there that would be worth doing this for?

Oubre: $9 mill
Tyler: $12.8 mill
JJ: $7 mill
Rubio deficit: -$2.9 mill

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
No, no renouncing Oubre. I am guessing they will attempt to trade Jackson and one of the last year's rookie PGs. If that fails, they'll likely waive and stretch Jackson.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, no renouncing Oubre. I am guessing they will attempt to trade Jackson and one of the last year's rookie PGs. If that fails, they'll likely waive and stretch Jackson.
Please read the question again. Is there a free agent out there that we would do this for? For instance, if Jimmy Butler or Kawhi suddenly, out of the blue said they would be interested in Phoenix (I know that sounds like it should be in the bizarro thread), but just as an example.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Please read the question again. Is there a free agent out there that we would do this for? For instance, if Jimmy Butler or Kawhi suddenly, out of the blue said they would be interested in Phoenix (I know that sounds like it should be in the bizarro thread), but just as an example.
Yes.:)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we are not greatly improved this next year we have a deeper problem.

It means that Booker and/or Ayton are not as good as we think/hope. This team now has a complement of capable role players. Those two should be stars. A team with two stars should be competitive. We need a little more depth at pf, but that is all.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

It means that Booker and/or Ayton are not as good as we think/hope. This team now has a complement of capable role players. Those two should be stars.

I agree, especially on Ayton. The honeymoon is over and he has used up his excuses. By midseason, he needs to look like a different player.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It means that Booker and/or Ayton are not as good as we think/hope. This team now has a complement of capable role players. Those two should be stars. A team with two stars should be competitive. We need a little more depth at pf, but that is all.

I want to see Ayton playing better next year but I think you might be asking too much from a 21 year old Center who has been in the NBA 1 year. Anthony Davis couldn't push the Pelicans into the playoffs on his own and he's 3-4 times the player Ayton is right now, and is 4 years older.

I suspect Booker will be more efficient but even asking him to score more seems to be a tall task since he was on the verge of setting the Suns single season PPG average last year, which is 27.2 and Booker averaged 26.6.

The window for the Suns has barely begun to crack open. They need to show improvement but what do you consider "greatly improved"?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the Suns are working on something else and have an agreement with Oubre and he will be the last to sign with the Suns going over the cap if necessary to do it.

Keeping Oubre is a must especially without making a bigger splash elsewhere.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave