Point guard speculation article - Russell hope

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sarver has to smell the money he'd make if he signed him. I'm sure a lot of fans and season ticket holders expressed their disdain for the draft and canceled ther tickets or . Unless Monty says he doesn't want D'Lo for some reason, which I think is highly unlikely, the Suns need to roll out the red carpet for him and make the attempt. I'm not crazy about the idea of paying him that much but I hope he can prove me wrong. There are plenty of worse ways to spend that money.

Yup, namely the barf-inducing combo of Cory Joseph and Frank Kaminsky.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Sarver has to smell the money he'd make if he signed him. I'm sure a lot of fans and season ticket holders expressed their disdain for the draft and canceled ther tickets or . Unless Monty says he doesn't want D'Lo for some reason, which I think is highly unlikely, the Suns need to roll out the red carpet for him and make the attempt. I'm not crazy about the idea of paying him that much but I hope he can prove me wrong. There are plenty of worse ways to spend that money.
I have been writing in a couple threads here that I am hearing his name everywhere I go. It's crazy. The last time I was in the grocery store I heard two women talking about it. At Dollar Tree I heard a couple older gentlemen talking about it. Now billboards showing up. Insane.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The momentum seems to be building for the Suns to sign Russell. I agree, they need to make the effort even if they can't get it done. Fans deserve it.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Now Burns and Gambo are talking about the possibility of the Suns pursuing Terry Rozier if Boston signs Kemba Walker. Rozier is certainly better than Cory Joseph, but I don't think he really moves the needle for us either, and he has the same deficiencies as Joseph (poor facilitator and poor shooter) albeit not as bad. I really hope the Suns have their sights set higher than this.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Now Burns and Gambo are talking about the possibility of the Suns pursuing Terry Rozier if Boston signs Kemba Walker. Rozier is certainly better than Cory Joseph, but I don't think he really moves the needle for us either, and he has the same deficiencies as Joseph (poor facilitator and poor shooter) albeit not as bad. I really hope the Suns have their sights set higher than this.
Lol I have asked you multiple times who do you want? You say everyone is crap but who else? You want to overpay for Dlo? Crappy D...did nothing in playoffs? 1 good year? We ain't getting kemba or kyrie...what do you want

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I know this is a sports site and the purpose is to talk sports. I listen to Burns and Gambo and all the other shows. I honestly think they are just stiring the pot for ratings. If you look over a week's time, one day it's player A the Suns are pursuing, next day player B, the following day player C, then the following back to A or B. That's just one show! All the shows switch it up. The only two guys that have been consistent is Bickley is for D'LO to the maximum. Gambo has been the Reaper because he says the Suns say no way! The point I am making is these guys are going to drive us nuts. Just take what they say as entertainment.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know this is a sports site and the purpose is to talk sports. I listen to Burns and Gambo and all the other shows. I honsetly think they are just stirring the pot for ratings. If you look over a week's time, one day it's player A the Suns are pursuing, next day player B, the following day player C, then the following back to A or B. That's just one show! All the shows switch it up. The only two guys that have been consistent is Bickley is for D'LO to the maximum. Gambo has been the Reaper because he says the Suns say no way! The point I am making is these guys are going to drive us nuts. Just take what they say as entertainment.
The Good ole click bait tactic.;):)

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lol I have asked you multiple times who do you want? You say everyone is crap but who else? You want to overpay for Dlo? Crappy D...did nothing in playoffs? 1 good year? We ain't getting kemba or kyrie...what do you want

As I mentioned in the other thread:

If Russell and Brogdon are off the table (and I would actually prefer Brodgon over Russell, except for the fact that Booker is lobbying for the Suns to sign Russell, and I don't want Booker to be even more upset than he already is), I would be happy with Beverley, Collison or Delon Wright. I could be talked into Tyus Jones, Rubio or Derrick Rose. I would avoid Terry Rozier, Cory Joseph, Emmanuel Mudiay, TJ McConnell and Jeremy Lin at all costs.

I would also be fine with trading Tyler Johnson straight up for Jeff Teague.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I'd take a pass on Rose actually. I don't think he's a good influence on our kid core.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
“Still,” as in, they haven’t had a point guard since Eric Bledsoe didn’t want to be at a hair salon three games into the 2017-18 season. That’s nearly two full regular seasons.

I saw this quote and thought of @1Sun :thumbup:

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
I'd take a pass on Rose actually. I don't think he's a good influence on our kid core.

If the suns young core is focused on stat padding and not giving what it takes to win. Rose would at that point be the wrong choice. But if the young core wants to win games and play hard Rose is the perfect vet for Suns.
Rose just wants to contribute to a winning team and see his teammates play hard.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Darren Collison retiring to work with the less fortunate per ESPN

Pretty darn admirable. Unfortunately for the Suns, that leaves one less NBA level point guard to go around, and therefore increases the likelihood that the Suns will go a third consecutive season without an NBA level starting point guard.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty darn admirable. Unfortunately for the Suns, that leaves one less NBA level point guard to go around, and therefore increases the likelihood that the Suns will go a third consecutive season without an NBA level starting point guard.

Not really. He'll liky spend much of his time trying to recruit people to the Jehovah's Witness religion.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
One of the things we have talked about before, it's really hard for guards to make the All Star Team, even in the Eastern Conference. D'Angelo Russel signing would be bringing in an All Star guard to the roster. So even if his salary restricts us in the future, the signing is for an All Star player.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more I believe the Suns HAVE to throw a max or very near max offer to DLo. If its a bad contract, its a bad contract. At least its only four years. But it is not very often the Suns have a legit shot at a young free agent. If he says no, at least they can tell Book they gave it their best effort. If they have to let Oubre go, or stretch Tyler, I am fine with it.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more I believe the Suns HAVE to throw a max or very near max offer to DLo. If its a bad contract, its a bad contract. At least its only four years. But it is not very often the Suns have a legit shot at a young free agent. If he says no, at least they can tell Book they gave it their best effort. If they have to let Oubre go, or stretch Tyler, I am fine with it.
It's only two days now that the current team has to make a decision. The guys we will have to settle for will likely still be on the market. I usually had not liked going after restricted guys, but for an All Star, at the point we are in the league as one of the wekest teams, why not? It tells fans we are trying, even if it turns out unrealistic.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They have to make a run at DLo. It’s not just Booker they have to worry about. How do you convince the fans the organization is committed to turning things around with the moves they have made so far?

Sure we can nitpick and debate the moves all day long but nobody looks at any of it and says “yep, that’s proof we are on our way”.

Though it wouldn’t surprise me if we don’t get our guy at least I would be satisfied knowing that we threw everything at it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's only two days now that the current team has to make a decision. The guys we will have to settle for will likely still be on the market. I usually had not liked going after restricted guys, but for an All Star, at the point we are in the league as one of the wekest teams, why not? It tells fans we are trying, even if it turns out unrealistic.
Especially in this case, where the the old team is pursuing a replacement and will have to renounce the RFA to make the signing.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They have to make a run at DLo. It’s not just Booker they have to worry about. How do you convince the fans the organization is committed to turning things around with the moves they have made so far?

Sure we can nitpick and debate the moves all day long but nobody looks at any of it and says “yep, that’s proof we are on our way”.

Though it wouldn’t surprise me if we don’t get our guy at least I would be satisfied knowing that we threw everything at it.

I think they have showed over the years that they don't give a damn what the fans think...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's hard to fathom the excitement if the Suns lands Russell and keeps Oubre. This forum would go crazy.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's hard to fathom the excitement if the Suns lands Russell and keeps Oubre. This forum would go crazy.

Considering that the Suns aren't even trying to talk with Russell, while all of the other teams (including the Timberwolves with Russell) are aggressively pursuing their top targets, I wouldn't get your hopes up...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering that the Suns aren't even trying to talk with Russell, while all of the other teams (including the Timberwolves with Russell) are aggressively pursuing their top targets, I wouldn't get your hopes up...

It would be salt in the Suns face if the Wolves sign Russell and the Suns sign Teague.

I'm not against Teague but at some point the Suns need to go for it.