Woj: Anthony Davis to Lakers

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is too talented not to be an all star. We need all NBA to make it to the top stage. Booker too though

That could easily happen. I don’t think booker is to far off being able to do everything harden does and more. Ayton can be just as good as Davis as well.

I have faith Mikal is going to get much better too.

We need to get culver or garland in this draft and sign someone like randle, and we could be one of the favorites in 2 to 3 years.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I just have to hope Booker can lead Ayton to be the player he is capable of being

Booker can't, at least not by himself. We need a point guard to feed him, and we need a power forward to take some of the front court burden off of him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So how do you explain the last 6 years or so?

The lakers are not going to have any cap room, and are not going to have picks either.

That is not working out so well for Houston right now.
Who cares about last six years? They are 100% irrelevant now. Last two years - you know MODERN HISTORY - they brought in two top 5 players in the league. And have a pretty good third banana in Kuzma (who becomes a great 4th banana if they can attract another FA with the crazy cap space they’ve created). And we aren’t talking about in four years when Lebron retires. We are talking about the next 3 years or so. They win. Lebron rides into the sunset. Someone else signs on with the Lakers and Davis who is then an established winner (dude is only 26). And the beat goes on. Don’t be mad at messenger.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
LMAO, funny thought. What if things don’t go well and AD pulls a Dwight and bails on the Lakes? Then...signs with GSW! :D

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who cares about last six years? They are 100% irrelevant now. Last two years - you know MODERN HISTORY - they brought in two top 5 players in the league. And have a pretty good third banana in Kuzma (who becomes a great 4th banana if they can attract another FA with the crazy cap space they’ve created). And we aren’t talking about in four years when Lebron retires. We are talking about the next 3 years or so. They win. Lebron rides into the sunset. Someone else signs on with the Lakers and Davis who is then an established winner (dude is only 26). And the beat goes on. Don’t be mad at messenger.

My point is just being the lakers does not mean they are immune to losing, nor does it mean they get all the free agents they want.

I get it, things look good for them right now. AD has already proven him by himself can’t lead a team anywhere.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it will be interesting to see if they can add players. I think LeBron took a huge PR hit last year over the whole AD thing. now that its' happened maybe that gets better but for awhile he wasn't all that popular for trying to trade his entire team.

Stuff happens. I mean Houston was IMO supposed to win this year, they didn't and now Paul and harden don't like each other, Capela is apparently leaving etc. The Warriors 2 injuries look decimated next year.

The Lakers on paper look really good but LeBron missed more games this year than he did in the last 5 combined. Maybe he'll be totally healthy next year but maybe not. AD great player has never played more than 75 in a season.

The one interesting point is for the first time in ages LeBron had an offseason, all those years in the finals means a ton more games played, so he's as well rested going into nextyear as he's been in a decade.

I don't have a problem with the move it's a good gamble but it depends who else they get on if they're the favorite or not IMO.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My point is just being the lakers does not mean they are immune to losing, nor does it mean they get all the free agents they want.

I get it, things look good for them right now. AD has already proven him by himself can’t lead a team anywhere.
Of course not. But just being in LA has certainly kept those losing periods far and few between. Each time it seems they’re on the downturn they get a gift of a pau Gasol and blam win a couple championships. Then sick for a few years and blam Lebron and Davis I’m back to back years. And iTs not bc they’re the Lakers. It’s because they’re in LA. And it sucks. But it’s real.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of course not. But just being in LA has certainly kept those losing periods far and few between. Each time it seems they’re on the downturn they get a gift of a pau Gasol and blam win a couple championships. Then sick for a few years and blam Lebron and Davis I’m back to back years. And iTs not bc they’re the Lakers. It’s because they’re in LA. And it sucks. But it’s real.

It is because they're the Lakers AND that they're in LA. If it didn't have to deal with being the Lakers then explain why the Clippers haven't had the same luck. I know Sterling owned the team for a long time but he was pushed out a while ago and they haven't been gifted any stars like the Lakers have.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Don't discount those losing periods came with 4 top 4 picks.

It's why the Lakers pick was such fools gold. It never would convey in the top 5. Ever

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Yeah, as typical with these sorts of things, all kinds of huge overreactions that are likely to end up being unrealized.

Remember last year when GS signed Cousins for below market and everyone was all but guaranteeing they would win it all this year and several more years to come? Well, how did that play out?

Also, Lebron is 34, not far from 35, with a LOT of mileage on his tires. Just like Kobe at 34/35... just about the time he hit the wall. Not saying it will happen this year... but it's coming soon.

And we've been hearing for years now how the Lakers were a shoo-in to reload with the top FAs every generation. Yes, they got Lebron last year. But outside of that, it really hasn't happened, as in the modern NBA a lot of other factors besides the big glamour market of LA are deciding where guys end up. LA will always have a built in advantage because of that, but it's by no means a certainty any more.

So, all in all, they COULD end up winning a championship with the Lebron/AD pairing... or they probably more likely don't. And any thoughts of the kinds of multi-year runs that Lebron had in the earlier parts of his career are likely to be proven foolish.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, as typical with these sorts of things, all kinds of huge overreactions that are likely to end up being unrealized.

Remember last year when GS signed Cousins for below market and everyone was all but guaranteeing they would win it all this year and several more years to come? Well, how did that play out?

Also, Lebron is 34, not far from 35, with a LOT of mileage on his tires. Just like Kobe at 34/35... just about the time he hit the wall. Not saying it will happen this year... but it's coming soon.

And we've been hearing for years now how the Lakers were a shoo-in to reload with the top FAs every generation. Yes, they got Lebron last year. But outside of that, it really hasn't happened, as in the modern NBA a lot of other factors besides the big glamour market of LA are deciding where guys end up. LA will always have a built in advantage because of that, but it's by no means a certainty any more.

So, all in all, they COULD end up winning a championship with the Lebron/AD pairing... or they probably more likely don't. And any thoughts of the kinds of multi-year runs that Lebron had in the earlier parts of his career are likely to be proven foolish.

Your example of something not working out is NBA finals and only losing because of extraordinary circumstances

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Looks like Grif did it right. The 2021 pick will only convey if it's in the top 8 which means it will not and NOLA will get the 2022 pick which is the double draft.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No, Neil deGrasse Tyson, I’m not content to go into next year with the same. I’m realistic. So I’m not a fan of getting rid of assets for pipe dreams.

As for warren - he’s a weird cat, but the malcontent story is waaay overblown and based entirely on conjecture.

And I get it, you don’t believe in JJ’s potential. But his value is at its lowest. Brilliant move trading him for pennies.

So Socrates, how are the Suns going to add anything? Crabbe was just dumped for cap space. You dont think when most the Suns have legitimate cap space they cant add someone? . Negative Nancy, Randle and a PG is doable there are alot out there your just being negative.

Snoopdog323

Veteran
Reaction score
Hysterics are a bit much. Being underdog to big markets in every sport isn’t new. Boohoo. At least the NBA has a cap, look at the MLB.

Suns aren’t winning a title in the next couple years so this move means little. Prognostications beyond that are pointless. There are too many variables.

Zion could be better than Jordan and Lebron and ensure the Suns or Lakers never reach the finals in the West for the next 18 years as he wins 10 titles. Blah blah blah. No one knows and all this angst is pointless.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Cousins winds up a Laker, he loves AD

I've been thinking about that also. Golden State can't offer him much in terms of money to stick around and he's not going to take another big discount, he may not see the max this summer but he'll get a lot more than the MLE that he signed for last season. I think he'd be a bad signing for the Lakers but if they can't sign another All-Star caliber player then I could see them signing Cousins and spinning it like it's a bigger deal than it is.

When he and AD were together in New Orleans they got better after he got hurt. The Warriors were better without him also but that had more to do with the style they play and not having enough time to fit him in. In New Orleans it allowed them to slide AD over to Center and then they added Mirotic as a stretch 4 to play with Davis and that's when they finally looked pretty good.

Wouldn't be surprised if Carmelo ends up signing for the veteran minimum there after striking out everywhere else. He's not ready to retire yet and Lebron knows they don't have a lot of options otherwise. Maybe Melo finally agrees to lead the 2nd unit for Lebron. It's not like they have money to build a 2nd unit that is any good anyways.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Good luck, nobody will trade for him with that contract.

Is there anyway he could void it?
There’s already talk of Boston grabbing him once Kyrie leaves to play with Hayward and the young guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hysterics are a bit much. Being underdog to big markets in every sport isn’t new. Boohoo. At least the NBA has a cap, look at the MLB.

Suns aren’t winning a title in the next couple years so this move means little. Prognostications beyond that are pointless. There are too many variables.

Zion could be better than Jordan and Lebron and ensure the Suns or Lakers never reach the finals in the West for the next 18 years as he wins 10 titles. Blah blah blah. No one knows and all this angst is pointless.
Things can change quickly in this league. This Suns team is poised for a quick move up with one or two savvy moves. Counting themselves out for a few years is a mistake.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I guess it depends on what they do with the rest of their cap space. If they split it between a few players, they could round out their team nicely.

If they drop it all on a max player like Kemba, then they'll have to fill out the rest of their roster with veteran min contracts.

I don't think Cousins would take a minimum deal unless there is no market for him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I could see that. He and Draymond are buddies too but I got the sense he might have been closer to KD.

With Klay out and KD gone I think Boogie becomes more important to the Warriors but I'm still not of the opinion he'd be worth huge money. He has to be healthier he simply could not move in the playoffs post injury, Kyle Lowry torched him the last 2 games.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So Socrates, how are the Suns going to add anything? Crabbe was just dumped for cap space. You dont think when most the Suns have legitimate cap space they cant add someone? . Negative Nancy, Randle and a PG is doable there are alot out there your just being negative.
Leonardo da Vinci, what you miscast as negative is in truth reality based on recent history. What free agent of note have the suns successfully secured in the last five years? Particularly when more successful destinations brag of equal-to-better cap space? I’ll wait . . .

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what they do with the rest of their cap space. If they split it between a few players, they could round out their team nicely.

If they drop it all on a max player like Kemba, then they'll have to fill out the rest of their roster with veteran min contracts.

I don't think Cousins would take a minimum deal unless there is no market for him.

Appaerntly Kemba said awhile ago he was willing to take less to stay where he is. He's also able to get I think 60 million more there than anywhere else. So if he leaves, it's strictly because he thinks he can win a title with the Lakers he can't win where he is now.

Cousins apparently told the Warriors he is interested in coming back and they told him they wanted him back, in his case I think it's more money and just what else is there. Those statements were all made before KD and Klay got hurt the situation has now changed.