New LT for the Cards - Desmond Harrison waiver claim

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
PFF ARZ Cardinals (@PFF_Cardinals)
6/5/19, 4:03 PM
Harrison had a 57.1 overall grade in 8 games with the Browns last season. He was very good in pass blocking with a 73.5 pass block grade but struggled in run blocking with a 47.7 run block grade.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Worth a shot, but I doubt the move ends up happening. Anything that we can do to improve up there.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I assume he is a guy the team could pluck off of waivers, his cap number is under $600K, at that price he is worth a shot I would think. I don't think the team would be on the hook for any guaranteed money if he wasn't working out for them and was cut.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I smell a back-story our scouts had better get to the bottom of.

Watchwords should be "thorough" but "skeptical."

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport

Ex-#Browns starting LT Desmond Harrison, waived by Cleveland yesterday, was spotted in an airport heading to Arizona. Sources say the #AZCardinals are going to put in a claim for him, and because they have top priority, they’ll get him. More OL depth with some big-time upside.

Makes sense for them to bring him in, it just means one of the UDFA's or AAF OL will be cut to make room. Those weren't guys we were counting on to make the roster anyway.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's absolutely no downside to this move. The potential upside is that we could end up in a Darwin James situation where a guy didn't want to be where he was, and wakes up when he gets cut.

Yup. It would be stupid not to kick the tires on him.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...triguing-pass-blocking-option-into-the-market

A season ago, Harrison led the Browns’ offensive tackles in pass-blocking grade when facing the blitz (81.4), against stunts (73.4), and on his ever-important red-zone snaps (76.7) — all of which ranked among the top-30 tackles in the NFL in 2018. Impressively, Harrison only allowed two total pressures on his 34 red-zone snaps, both of which came against some of the best pass-rushers in the NFL in Terrell Suggs and Melvin Ingram III.

If Harrison can improve on his subpar run-blocking grade (47.7, 77th among 85 tackles) and continues to show promise as a pass-blocker, then the former Brown may be able to not only find a new home in the NFL but make an impact wherever he lands.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He really does sound like a knucklehead. Had issues in college too.

Hopefully getting cut wakes him up, we could use another tackle for sure - especially one good against the pass rush like him.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
$600,000 is his salary? What do you do, if he comes here, plays lights out in training camp, so we cut other LTs, and then he goes back to missing team busses, etc? I guess cross that bridge if it gets that far into the process.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$600,000 is his salary? What do you do, if he comes here, plays lights out in training camp, so we cut other LTs, and then he goes back to missing team busses, etc? I guess cross that bridge if it gets that far into the process.

You still play DJ but now you have options beyond resigning him

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as depth, this is a solid pick-up, especially since it's almost a given that DJ will play 8 games and then be out for the season... probably right after we sign him to a contract extension!