The Darius Garland Thread

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I guess I see it differently.

Garland has some slick hesitation moves but I don't see a lot of difference between the two players. White even averaged more assists.

If White's ceiling is Elfrid Payton I will take it if he has his head on right.
Plus if he plays better than anyone on our roster, I would start him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus if he plays better than anyone on our roster, I would start him.

You want to start all those rookie point guards. :D

I'd want a veteran point guard ahead of him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Garland is repped by Klutch which fuels the speculation that the Lakers may have made the promise. The only other possible team is Chicago, but why would he shut it down for an 8th pick promise when he could easily go higher?

With Rich Paul involved I can imagine other scenarios. Maybe he's just pulling him out to avoid displaying his weaknesses all the while trying to create interest by making it seem like the guy has a top team in love with him?

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would want a workout with him before drafting him. I just cooled off on Garland. Pick and trade him or get Hunter

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess I see it differently.

Garland has some slick hesitation moves but I don't see a lot of difference between the two players. White even averaged more assists.

If White's ceiling is Elfrid Payton I will take it if he has his head on right.

His shooting stroke is pure as well, whites is not.

If you look at the hs highlights garland threw some nifty passes. I think he has some ability to distribute, he is just too selfish.

The difference is garland is a guy that can most likely iso in the nba and white most likely can’t. That is kind of what defines good scorers in the nba vs role players.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you look at the hs highlights garland threw some nifty passes. I think he has some ability to distribute, he is just too selfish.

The difference is garland is a guy that can most likely iso in the nba and white most likely can’t. That is kind of what defines good scorers in the nba vs role players.

Well, if the Lakers draft Garland we won't have to worry about it.

I like White for what he can do which is distribute and shoot a reasonable percentage from the field.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the Tankathon bubble graph on White.http://www.tankathon.com/players/coby-white

This is not the end all of evaluations, but as I have watched over the last couple of years, it is as good as any other.

Yeah, I see some potential in White but I don't get why so many think he's a top 10 pick. He shouldn't be, not even in a paper thin class like this one.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You want to start all those rookie point guards. :D

I'd want a veteran point guard ahead of him.
Technically next year we won't have ANY rookie PGs, unless we draft one, or sign an undrafted one. :)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yet despite that more pure shooting stroke White is just as good of a scorer, taller, will play to the rim more and is a better passer to boot. One guy is going to make a living shooting from the outside and the other will probably get to the free throw line alot more. One guy will become "shorter" in the NBA while the other guy will be just fine.

Garland has a bunch of positives but so does White. I don't see either as a superstar and I could argue either might become a consistent veteran player someday.

Honestly if both those guys were on the board...my reaction would be the same no matter who they draft.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
ball is an open court player only and our best two players are particularly good scorers in half court settings

When the Suns drafted Ayton they went all in on this model. I don’t have a problem with the death of SSOL.

Half court and play defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Yet despite that more pure shooting stroke White is just as good of a scorer, taller, will play to the rim more and is a better passer to boot. One guy is going to make a living shooting from the outside and the other will probably get to the free throw line alot more. One guy will become "shorter" in the NBA while the other guy will be just fine.

Garland has a bunch of positives but so does White. I don't see either as a superstar and I could argue either might become a consistent veteran player someday.

Honestly if both those guys were on the board...my reaction would be the same no matter who they draft.

Hard to say that White is a better passer based on the 5 games Garland played as a freshman.

In his first 5 games White also averaged under 3 assists.

When I watch Garland compared to White, Garland just looks more fluid, more poised and clear in what he wants to do. Plus White seems to be a quiet personality compared to Garland.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
When the Suns drafted Ayton they went all in on this model. I don’t have a problem with the death of SSOL.

Half court and play defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree the suns reddit guys had a Pelicans writer on their podcast when we wanted to hire Monty and that guy mentioned that Monty played slower and that it made sense because a young error prone team needs to minimize total possessions to keep the games close and grind out wins. If they were running up the amount of possessions despite making a lot of errors that leads to the other team blowing you out more often than not because the gap between your errors and there errors is likely to increase with each possession.

I hope we find our own way to play effectively.

Under McDonough and Igor we were just chasing league trends instead of following a path that fits our players.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

The difference is that one is elite in a couple of areas (Garland's shooting and ball handling) and the other isn't really more than just above average at anything (White). It takes some elite skills to be a great NBA player and as a prospect I would say Garland is very similar to Steph when he was coming out of college. Both great ballhandlers and shooters and similar in size and stature coming out of college. Both were considered score first guys that had shown some flashes of potential as a passer. Obviously Curry got better every year after enterring the league, but to me they are almost identical as prospects and have nearly identical perceived strengths and weaknesses.

I would guess that White might be a little safer as a pick, but I think Garland has a much higher ceiling if he comes along as a passer.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the Tankathon bubble graph on White.http://www.tankathon.com/players/coby-white

This is not the end all of evaluations, but as I have watched over the last couple of years, it is as good as any other.

Yeah, I see some potential in White but I don't get why so many think he's a top 10 pick. He shouldn't be, not even in a paper thin class like this one.

It's the injury thing that separates the two players for me not that I wouldn't be happy with either.

Certainly Garland has more flash but I think White will prove to be a steady point guard in the NBA. If the draft has shown us anything, players that have consistent skills in college, it usually translates to the next level.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I agree the suns reddit guys had a Pelicans writer on their podcast when we wanted to hire Monty and that guy mentioned that Monty played slower and that it made sense because a young error prone team needs to minimize total possessions to keep the games close and grind out wins. If they were running up the amount of possessions despite making a lot of errors that leads to the other team blowing you out more often than not because the gap between your errors and there errors is likely to increase with each possession.

Under McDonough and Igor we were just chasing league trends instead of following a path that fits our players.
I remember Utah with Stockton and Malone routinely having single digit turn overs for the WHOLE game. I remember one game we played them and I don't think they turned the ball over until the fourth quarter. They would slowly grind you down. Plus, that style of play is harder during the season, but fits well in the playoffs.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Not saying either player will be HOF players, but Garland looks like the first Isiah Thomas, and White looks more like Harden in his style of play. Garland will use the dribble to get open. White will drive it down low and use size to get his shot off. Plus, to me it looked like White shot his threes from further out. I noted a lot were NBA length he shot. I am thinking his three will be easier to translate at first.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Neither guy will make Booker/Ayton better for probably 2-3 years. If the Suns are okay with that then let’s roll with the growing pains. It’s not like we’re signing or trading for a superstar.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neither guy will make Booker/Ayton better for probably 2-3 years. If the Suns are okay with that then let’s roll with the growing pains. It’s not like we’re signing or trading for a superstar.

If the Suns draft Garland or White they grooming them for the future. Hopefully both are better backup point guards than Melton or Okobo.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The difference is that one is elite in a couple of areas (Garland's shooting and ball handling) and the other isn't really more than just above average at anything (White). It takes some elite skills to be a great NBA player and as a prospect I would say Garland is very similar to Steph when he was coming out of college. Both great ballhandlers and shooters and similar in size and stature coming out of college. Both were considered score first guys that had shown some flashes of potential as a passer. Obviously Curry got better every year after enterring the league, but to me they are almost identical as prospects and have nearly identical perceived strengths and weaknesses.

I would guess that White might be a little safer as a pick, but I think Garland has a much higher ceiling if he comes along as a passer.

Don't get me wrong. I think Garland has better mechanics and can shoot. However, expecting him to shoot anything like Step in the NBA is fodder. There is only one Step and that happens usually once a generation. Garland will be streaky and make a living from the outside. At his height and size he isn't doing much around the rim and I am more worried about him matching up against other guards defensively.

White on the other hand has his own issues. He needs to improve his mechanics, has too many turnovers and his shot selection sometimes is off. Although I love his strength and aggressive play to the rim. He will make a living at the line in the NBA and it will be hard for opposing guards to shoot over him.

Bottom line? I wish we were talking about Morant. I bet if he is there the Suns go with Garland. Like I said. I am OK with either at this point but we need a veteran guard as well.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The path to success for this team was clear this last year. They were at their best when they played a frenetic smothering defense and let the offense flow from that. This fits with what Monty will do. They also ought to seek out a starting pg with that in mind. A Brogdon type will probably be better than a Kemba type for instance.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Certainly Garland has more flash but I think White will prove to be a steady point guard in the NBA.

I have the opposite impression. I think it is much more likely that Garland is steady because his game looks clean and he knows his spots well and does not hesitate. While my impression of White is that he is going to be more of a guy that lacks definition of what he really wants to do.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns draft Garland or White they grooming them for the future. Hopefully both are better backup point guards than Melton or Okobo.

This. Now that Morant appears to be off the board for the Suns? They need a legit veteran PG no matter who they draft.