2019 1st round pick is QB Kyler Murray

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
When dude says that he would have not declared for the draft if he wasn't going to be a first round pick...it is a money decision.
Also he still put himself at risk to play football after signing with the A's for nearly $20m. If it was all about the money than why not just go straight to baseball where you already have a good contract in hand instead of risking serious injury to play 1 year of college football that maybe gets you a better contract in football?

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Ridiculous. One throwing session? Have you watched his tape?
Sorry but mine is the same position as Solar7 and yes after the season the only Throwing session was at his pro day as I recall maybe someone else has more information but I dont and its one of my sticking points among many others not the least of which is the stupidity of the front office handling of the whole situation

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Sorry but mine is the same position as Solar7 and yes after the season the only Throwing session was at his pro day as I recall maybe someone else has more information but I dont and its one of my sticking points among many others not the least of which is the stupidity of the front office handling of the whole situation
Again why do you care so much about throwing sessions in shorts? There is plenty of material between his college games and pro day to have a very good idea of what he can do as a passer.

The reason you don't throw at the combine is because you have absolutely no chemistry or timing with the receivers that you are throwing to and thus it can make you look bad. I assume he didn't throw because he was advised not to and I don't see anything wrong with following that advice.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Cool, Mayfield isn't our QB, so I don't care. Neither is Rosen, so I don't care.

We've hitched our wagon to Kyler, and if it doesn't work out, we're stuck with two years of bad football. Such is life. We are where we are, but I'm bracing myself for the car crash next year when Keim's job is coming to an end, and we have to try to find a GM who is okay with being all Air Raid.
Uh if you look at last year it maybe just 1 bad year remember this front office has put almost everything on the table Right Now for this season

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Again why do you care so much about throwing sessions in shorts? There is plenty of material between his college games and pro day to have a very good idea of what he can do as a passer.

The reason you don't throw at the combine is because you have absolutely no chemistry or timing with the receivers that you are throwing to and thus it can make you look bad. I assume he didn't throw because he was advised not to and I don't see anything wrong with following that advice.
Could be and know almost all of the top prospects don't do much wasnt really picking him out so much as the process itself to me if your lucky enough to be invited ya should at least participate in the other drills such as 40 time,long jump etc. But it sure have been nice to see the throws remember he hasn't done much work with the Recievers here either yet

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

I'm not Delmar, so I'm not going to pretend I'm fighting his position, but I can understand not throwing at the combine, to some degree.

However, Baker did it, looked good doing it, and proved to a lot of people that he had the passion to do everything asked.

Kyler didn't run, do any drills, or do anything at all, and he put in barely any work at his pro day. Am I really supposed to be impressed by him throwing a scripted routine to guys intimately familiar with him? It's literally the least adverse situation he could have put himself into.

All of the props in the world to Kyler the person for apparently not having to be held to any standards most other players are, and making more money than I will in my entire life. But, major eyebrow raise at Cardinals decision makers who said "nah, 13 games of tape and our fired college coach's word on it is fine. He runs fast and has a strong arm! That will sell tickets!"

...Cardinals decision makers got all wrapped up in Baker hype and are going to get wrecked for it.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Could be and know almost all of the top prospects don't do much wasnt really socking him out so much as the process itself to me if your lucky enough to be invited ya should at least participate in the other drills such asx 40 time long jump etc. But it sure have been nice to see the throws remember he hasn't done much work with the Recievers here either yet
Sure, but he will have plenty of time throughout the off-season to develop chemistry with these guys. There is almost no upside to throwing at the combine unless people have serious questions about your passing ability and for the most part people don't question that about Murray. It seems pretty universally believed that Murray has exception footwork and throwing mechanics while having good velocity and accuracy. What would him throwing at the combine have achieved? As to running the 40, what would him running the 40 tell us that we don't already know? We can look at about 10 seconds of film to understand that he accelerates very quickly and runs very fast.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Sure, but he will have plenty of time throughout the off-season to develop chemistry with these guys. There is almost no upside to throwing at the combine unless people have serious questions about your passing ability and for the most part people don't question that about Murray. It seems pretty universally believed that Murray has exception footwork and throwing mechanics while having good velocity and accuracy. What would him throwing at the combine have achieved? As to running the 40, what would him running the 40 tell us that we don't already know? We can look at about 10 seconds of film to understand that he accelerates very quickly and runs very fast.

Why do we have any of them do it then?

The point is, this is a multimillion dollar business with everything on the line for players, team staff, and fans. When you're about to drop $36 million on someone, they should be poked, prodded, and run through the ringer.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm not Delmar, so I'm not going to pretend I'm fighting his position, but I can understand not throwing at the combine, to some degree.

However, Baker did it, looked good doing it, and proved to a lot of people that he had the passion to do everything asked.

Kyler didn't run, do any drills, or do anything at all, and he put in barely any work at his pro day. Am I really supposed to be impressed by him throwing a scripted routine to guys intimately familiar with him? It's literally the least adverse situation he could have put himself into.

All of the props in the world to Kyler the person for apparently not having to be held to any standards most other players are, and making more money than I will in my entire life. But, major eyebrow raise at Cardinals decision makers who said "nah, 13 games of tape and our fired college coach's word on it is fine. He runs fast and has a strong arm! That will sell tickets!"

...Cardinals decision makers got all wrapped up in Baker hype and are going to get wrecked for it.
Why do you need to be impressed by him throwing to guys in shorts and T-shirts? Also a huge part of throwing in the NFL is timing routes and leading receivers. The combine is not set up for those types of throws and those are the types of throws that Kyler was very good at last year. You try doing that with receivers that you have no chemistry with and you are going to throw what looks like a bunch of bad throws.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Why do you need to be impressed by him throwing to guys in shorts and T-shirts? Also a huge part of throwing in the NFL is timing routes and leading receivers. The combine is not set up for those types of throws and those are the types of throws that Kyler was very good at last year. You try doing that with receivers that you have no chemistry with and you are going to throw what looks like a bunch of bad throws.
I need to be impressed with something more than 13 games of tape.

Something. Anything. Give it to me. Kyler fails on every single metric besides coming out of nowhere to win the Heisman over a four month span.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

The point is, this is a multimillion dollar business with everything on the line for players, team staff, and fans. When you're about to drop $36 million on someone, they should be poked, prodded, and run through the ringer.
It's about answering questions that people have about your game. Nobody has ever questioned whether or not Murray is fast because it is obvious on film. Nobody questions Murray's arm strength, accuracy or mechanics because it is all on film and in the stats. However most QBs entering the draft have a lot of question marks regarding mechanics and scrambling ability or even arm strength. It is a chance for those guys to go out there and show that they are more athletic than people assume or have been working hard on their footwork/throwing mechanics and it shows through in their throwing sessions. Murray participating in drills doesn't answer any of these types of questions.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Something. Anything. Give it to me. Kyler fails on every single metric besides coming out of nowhere to win the Heisman over a four month span.
That is an asinine statement. What exactly are all these metrics that he fails on?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So are you under the impression that he was simply lucky all year? You can deny he shows talent. I don’t understand why there are some that think what he demonstrated last year was a fluke.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It's about answering questions that people have about your game. Nobody has ever questioned whether or not Murray is fast because it is obvious on film. Nobody questions Murray's arm strength, accuracy or mechanics because it is all on film and in the stats. However most QBs entering the draft have a lot of question marks regarding mechanics and scrambling ability or even arm strength. It is a chance for those guys to go out there and show that they are more athletic than people assume or have been working hard on their footwork/throwing mechanics and it shows through in their throwing sessions. Murray participating in drills doesn't answer any of these types of questions.
Dude, even I watch the film and question Murray's accuracy. Murray wasn't the consensus #1 talent. Read all of the information. If it weren't for Kliff's crush, he would have gone later.

He threw to wide receivers who were 5 yards off the defender. He flicked the ball from positions where he was generally not under pressure. He had one of the best offensive lines in college football. One tremendous year does not mean you are the chosen one. So many college players have a great season, are heralded as the next great thing, and then don't end up panning out later into their college career, but we at least get to see them play multiple years before that decision is made. Kyler has one year. That's it.

That is an asinine statement. What exactly are all these metrics that he fails on?
I count "does not participate" as a fail. Interviewed poorly in nearly every situation given to the public to see him. Didn't participate in any drills. Fails on height. He did literally three things all offseason that most draftees must do. He showed up to get measured and weighed, meet teams, and then tossed around the football to his pals in his comfort zone.

Sorry if I'm not impressed.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
So are you under the impression that he was simply lucky all year? You can deny he shows talent. I don’t understand why there are some that think what he demonstrated last year was a fluke.
No, not "lucky." Just "an athletic kid in the best possible situation anyone could script for a player."

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score

My thinking exactly probably get some flak for this but if its good for everyone else why wouldn't it be good enough for all the top prospects

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
My thinking exactly probably get some flak for this but if its good for everyone else why wouldn't it be good enough for all the top prospects
Because the top prospects have less to prove at the combine. If there were major questions about his ability to do one thing or another than I would assume he would have participated more. However there aren't any real questions about his physical abilities and thus there is little to no value in actually participating. The only question people consistently have is whether or not his height will affect him at the next level, but participating in the combine does nothing to answer that.