Why will Murray fail?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m befuddled at why there are some of you convinced Murray will fail. There was a part of me that wanted to see Rosen get another chance but I’m good with this decision.

What you seen from him in college is real. His elusiveness, accuracy, quick release and ability to throw on the run are all evident.

He will be stepping into an offense he is totally familiar and comfortable with. Rosen would have had s much steeper learning curve.

There are a lot of you that wanted Rosen but seem to understand the potential upgrade. But others not so much. Other than his height and stature, which are genuine , please explain why you think he will fail.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
good, lets hope he get better protection from the offensive line

we really need some of the young guys step up and replace some of the mediocre starters we have, in particular pugh and humphries

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Dude is gonna break.
And on tape his wr always had to slow down for his deep balls...nfl defensive backs are gonna be all over those. He threw to mostly w i i i d e open guys in college...that aint happening in the nfl either.

Did i mention dude is gonna break?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Dude is gonna break.
And on tape his wr always had to slow down for his deep balls...nfl defensive backs are gonna be all over those. He threw to mostly w i i i d e open guys in college...that aint happening in the nfl either.

Yeah, he was great at OU but sat for two years learning that system and never faced any pressure or had to throw guys open consistently. He still needs to lead grown men and be able to handle himself in the media. He will lose more games next September than he has in his entire career. Look I wasn’t against the pick but fully acknowledge he could easily flameout. I guess I just got drunk on the upside.

His damn near entire offense got drafted this weekend and another OU lineman will go in round 1 next year. They were freaking STACKED offensively.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hope Murray succeeds here, but I'll take a stab at why he could fail...

1) Our offensive line... if we have injuries like last year then no QB is going to be successful. His running/escape ability could help him overcome it somewhat.

2) Trouble adjusting to the speed & height of NFL defenses (smaller passing windows, taller/faster dlinemen)

3) He's used to winning... he never lost in HS and only lost 2-3 games in college. The Cards were 3-13 last year and have a completely new offensive & defensive system... it's gonna take some time (probably half a season) before the team starts to play well. Can he handle the adversity when he's never really had to deal with any before?

4) Kingsbury's offense fails at the NFL level, which dooms Kyler from the start.

5) Running offensive sets with 4-5 WRs on the field & no QB protection gets him injured.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I don’t think Murray will “fail,” but the expectation of him as a #1 pick is very high. It should be expected of him to be an all-pro and make this team a contender year in and year out.

Eli Manning is a former #1, but merely an above average QB for his career. I think this is where Murray’s level of production will be when it is all said and done (not counting Super Bowls).

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Simple say KK gets canned after this season Can he function in a traditional 2 Back pro style offense remember guys No one has ever seen or produced a film under center that I've seen Has anyone else?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don’t think Murray will “fail,” but the expectation of him as a #1 pick is very high. It should be expected of him to be an all-pro and make this team a contender year in and year out.

Eli Manning is a former #1, but merely an above average QB for his career. I think this is where Murray’s level of production will be when it is all said and done (not counting Super Bowls).

There isn’t a good comp for him. Maybe RG3 considering the skilset, offense and conference. But like Mayfield RG3 started 3+ years... For the record RG3 would’ve been an excellent QB had he not turned into a mental midget past the LOS. Murray is a much smarter runner.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
There isn’t a good comp for him. Maybe RG3 considering the skilset, offense and conference. But like Mayfield RG3 started 3+ years... For the record RG3 would’ve been an excellent QB had he not turned into a mental midget past the LOS. Murray is a much smarter runner.
Excellent point I have forgot not very much experience starting but that's a problem most Rookies have anymore doesnt affect other positions as much as QBs

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
He threw to mostly w i i i d e open guys in college...that aint happening in the nfl either.
That’s simply not true if you watched any amount of his games. I also remember many here saying the same things about Baker the Touchdown Maker last year as well.

He might fail & he might just tear it up who knows. I don’t believe he fails because of a lack of talent & ability to throw the ball.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Simple say KK gets canned after this season Can he function in a traditional 2 Back pro style offense remember guys No one has ever seen or produced a film under center that I've seen Has anyone else?
Don’t worry you won’t be watching the offense you just described. Very little if any at all.

Why would K2 all of a sudden do what he’s hasn’t done & not play to the strengths of Murray? Look at Mahommes & what Reid morphed his West Coast offense too!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Dude is gonna break.

His receiver had to slow down??? That is just not true.

He often threw his receiver open too.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Could Not be completely committed to his craft and willing to put in the extra work and film study at this level. Just compounding his physical limitations on the field.

Ridiculous. His mechanics alone show how much time he puts into being a good QB.

You just throw out garbage that has no basis in reality just because your savior is gone to compete with Ryan Fitzpatrick in NFL turdland.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I've spent all day watching Murray highlights. I'm trying, fellas. Why will he fail?

Adversity.

Kliff Kingsbury strikes me as a solid coaching choice, interestingly enough. What a bold coaching choice, especially with those around him. This league is changing, and all credit to Keim for noticing it. It's why I was amped for the addition of Clements. Let's create this hybrid attack with a prototypical thrower of the ball, and revolutionize things.

Kyler is so much fun to watch. Heavens to Betsy, that - what - 67-yard TD where they say he needs to get out of bounds? And then he just embarrasses everyone on the field with his speed? Nothing but wow. I can't help but hope he does it on every play, but I don't think he will.

I've laid down so many problems over so many threads. His trademark mobility will get killed with one right hit. He's never played with a team that lacks so much talent. He's so uncomfortable under the media spotlight, that I think he'll crumble under the pressure of getting booed or missing throws. Challenges will come.

This does not mean I think we had the solution on our roster, but it means we have saddled our horse, for better or worse.

Prove me wrong, please. There's no bigger fan who will admit his mistake.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That’s simply not true if you watched any amount of his games. I also remember many here saying the same things about Baker the Touchdown Maker last year as well.

He might fail & he might just tear it up who knows. I don’t believe he fails because of a lack of talent & ability to throw the ball.

Baker said before last season that he thought Murray might have a better year than he did...
And Murray did.

It's funny all of these people talking about Murray getting hurt and Lincoln Riley said he worried about Mayfield getting hurt NOT Murray because Murray avoids contact, just like I pointed out and others pointed out.

I'm going to dig up these threads and serve the coldest crow ever when Murray is great.

I challenge over and over and these people continually wuss out. Tell us anything bad about Murrays actual play. They cant find anything because they just dont like Murray because he lacks ideal height. Ridiculous.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I've spent all day watching Murray highlights. I'm trying, fellas. Why will he fail?

Adversity.

Kliff Kingsbury strikes me as a solid coaching choice, interestingly enough. What a bold coaching choice, especially with those around him. This league is changing, and all credit to Keim for noticing it. It's why I was amped for the addition of Clements. Let's create this hybrid attack with a prototypical thrower of the ball, and revolutionize things.

Kyler is so much fun to watch. Heavens to Betsy, that - what - 67-yard TD where they say he needs to get out of bounds? And then he just embarrasses everyone on the field with his speed? Nothing but wow. I can't help but hope he does it on every play, but I don't think he will.

I've laid down so many problems over so many threads. His trademark mobility will get killed with one right hit. He's never played with a team that lacks so much talent. He's so uncomfortable under the media spotlight, that I think he'll crumble under the pressure of getting booed or missing throws. Challenges will come.

This does not mean I think we had the solution on our roster, but it means we have saddled our horse, for better or worse.

Prove me wrong, please. There's no bigger fan who will admit his mistake.

Where are you laying anything down any problem with his play?

You havent.

Hes going to get killed? Weak sauce. He doesnt take big hits. I think you need to watch more tape.

Did you hear what Bickley said? Murray is built very solidly. There have been RBs his size that have taken 1000s of hits. He'll be fine.