Igor Fired

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes, that is very telling if true. Sounds like maybe there was good reason for him being an assistant for so long. Maybe that's where his value lies. Some people just aren't leaders and are unable to grow into that role. I'll admit even though I advocated for some consistency for a change, if that's the case, this was the right move.
It was reported numerous times and then by Jared Dudley himself (who was a player on that team) that Igor was the leader and the one runnning practices back when Lindsey Hunter was the coach.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
this is why I railed against the team for not firing McD before last off-season began. Letting a lame-duck GM make the biggest decisions a franchise can make, with a lot of cap room, multiple first round picks, the first pick in the draft and decide the HC position made zero sense.
You where right and the damage McD did will still be felt next year. That's all I do with this team is eat CROW

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
fair enough.

so i ask again...
does anyone here honestly believe Igor will ever again even be interviewed for a head coaching job in the NBA?
He has been a head coach that supposedly around the league is felt got a raw deal. Anything is possible. I would not bet against it mayself.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
One thing I would like to know from the crowd that is pro Igor.

Can you give me a list of clear "pro arguments" for keeping Igor other than "stability" which is basically saying "my argument to keep Igor is to not fire him".

I couldn't name one positive from Igor's year. Sure they made mild improvements in March and April but that is a ridiculous argument considering they were at absolute rock bottom in franchise history in January and February.
They actually played defense this season - not a lick last season. They actually had a system other than "Booker, you score". You may have not liked the system, hell, I may have not liked the system 100%, but it was something.
What surprising wins did they have last season? When did they play hard?

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I mean it is hard to do when you are simply not part of the offensive game plan after the first 6 minutes of the game.

He is a team player first of all and due to his position relies on others getting him the ball first of all.
Come on, that is simply not true. If Ayton showed any actual desire to get the ball, and do something with it, it would happen. They went to him nearly exclusively the first few sets of the game to get/keep him engaged. Not so they could say - "you got your touches now go sit in the corner". Sure it would help to have people that could make a pass, but Ayton has a lot of Boris Diaw in him in the paint.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You where right and the damage McD did will still be felt next year. That's all I do with this team is eat CROW

trust me man... I ain't happy about it. BUT, I do think if we make the right moves this summer... oh, who am I kidding? We know whatever way I was going to look for positivity to try and finish that sentence won't happen.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fair enough.

so i ask again...
does anyone here honestly believe Igor will ever again even be interviewed for a head coaching job in the NBA?

couldn't find evidence he ever had before us... don't think it will ever happen again.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7 head coaches in 8 years, how many GM's? How many losing seasons? One Sarver. Is there no end?

You must be registered for see images attach

Suns fans deserve better. So does Booker to be honest.

that's a rhetorical question, right?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lets fire the coach but not his assistants. Retaining 1, maybe 2, isn't unusual if they had been with the franchise a while, usually longer than the head coach that was in place, but keeping all of Igor's assistants is a head scratcher.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
there was a few of us suggesting that all season, and obviously a majority who believed it but who had better sense than i than to waste their breath arguing about it. as i recall, Superbone, you were among those who scoffed at the critics.

regardless. this is an important and much needed sign that the front office is committed to improving the situation
and i look forward to next season with renewed optimism that it will be more fun and rewarding for every one of us
Look, 1tin, to me there is a huge distance between "Igor can do no wrong" and "The coach is not to blame for everything". I think you are getting lost along that route. I don't think Igor, or even the system, is to blame for Ayton's softness. I mean, for the love of all that is holy - EVERY CENTER SETS HIGH SCREENS! Most just have the sense to then roll or slip the screen. I also hated EVERY SINGLE TIME Igor put Crawford in the game, and I yelled at him to pull his head out of his ass. I hated his calm, lost-in-thought demeanor, but I could also sense that this guy lives and breathes basketball and is very sharp. I could tell how exasperated he was with low IQ players, as am I. I felt that with more time the players would finally get completely comfortable. But maybe they didn't really want to or couldn't. I don't know if the next hire will be better or worse. I sure hope better. It's just that many times repeatedly hitting the reset button doesn't fix the fundamental issue.

So, where do I stand on your scale? Honestly, man, you have got to let this notion that you are the paragon of correctness go. It is a discussion board, for Pete's sake.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it has been posted but here is Ryan McDonough's take on the firing.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
that's a rhetorical question, right?
Not really.
There HAS to be a way to get Sarver to sell the team. I mean, is there anything the fans can do to put pressure on Sarvers hold? I'm not at all up on attendance figures but i do know the team is rolling in a ton of revenue despite the obvious train wreck in the front office and on the court.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/196764/revenue-of-the-phoenix-suns-since-2006/

If 99% of the fans literally stopped going to games would it even matter in terms of Sarvers profits?

Maybe the only way to end this laughable nightmare is for someone...a savior to come along and throw an insanely stupid amount of cheddar at him to buy the team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns need to break the penny wise pound foolish philosophy because in the end, say still spend the money.

They are probably paying the assistant coaches that were let go as well.

I'm not sure about the scouts that were terminated.

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

The Suns will be paying two head coaches and two GMs next season. Ryan McDonough's contract extension ran until 2020, Igor Kokoskov through 2021.

2:31 PM - 23 Apr 2019

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Suns need to break the penny wise pound foolish philosophy because in the end, say still spend the money.

They are probably paying the assistant coaches that were let go as well.

I'm not sure about the scouts that were terminated.

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

The Suns will be paying two head coaches and two GMs next season. Ryan McDonough's contract extension ran until 2020, Igor Kokoskov through 2021.

2:31 PM - 23 Apr 2019
Arguably you can't call Sarver cheap. If he was really cheap, he wouldn't have made a change until these guys ran their contracts out. Arguably! :)

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It was reported numerous times and then by Jared Dudley himself (who was a player on that team) that Igor was the leader and the one runnning practices back when Lindsey Hunter was the coach.

Which was the biggest red flag of all to me when Igor was hired, though I still thought he was better at the time than any candidate they interviewed not named Mike Budenholzer.

Unfortunately it turns out that is precisely the Igor we got, and the results were virtually identical.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it has been posted but here is Ryan McDonough's take on the firing.

I'll take that as a positive sign. McDonough was a disaster in every way.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker definitely needs to be put in his place. He comes of as kind of punkish imo.

You seem to have a real problem with Booker. Either that or you have no idea what you're talking about. Anyway, why would someone bother putting him in his place when you've already told us he has less value than Kuzma does or Ball does and even less value around the league than Hart? A player like that, stuck in NBA hell, is already in his place. Don't forget, as you've told us before, he's just a "chucker".

Here's some of your classic Booker quotes:

A PG that doesn't make his teammates better, has the leadership qualities of a door, and has missed 110+ games over the past 4 seasons. Oh and he has an attitude problem. Good luck getting a decent return for this clown.

You guys may be Suns fans but not NBA fans. There is no one on the Suns roster including Booker and Ayton, that would net them Lonzo, Kuzma or Hart.. .lets at least be real guys.

Not on Bookers or Ayton BEST day. I watch all the Suns and Lakers games. It’s not even close. Kuzma and Hart are well rounded players which Booker is not and Lonzo is probably the best defensive guard in the league.

After tonight and this year, neither could not net Kuzma, let alone all 3. Ayton is a work in (slow) progress and Booker is a chucker on a bad team.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
What can I say? I don’t enjoy his game, what he brings to the team and his punkish attitude. I don’t need to defend it - it’s my opinion. If you like his game, enjoy!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What can I say? I don’t enjoy his game, what he brings to the team and his punkish attitude. I don’t need to defend it - it’s my opinion. If you like his game, enjoy!
You watch Laker and Suns game and you hate Booker and don't have a high opinion of Ayton. Are you a Laker fan?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Weak. I think frogs rule the earth, I don't need to defend it - it's my opinion.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The coaching staff won 19 games. That's like 3 wins a month. 19 Gamesssssss people! There should be no trace of any coaches from that regime in our building. I saw a post earlier saying our end of year momentum lol there is no momentum with 19 wins. Everyone should be glad that this joke of a coaching staff is gone. I could give 2 craps about national perception or 7 coaches in so many years whatever.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The coaching staff won 19 games. That's like 3 wins a month. 19 Gamesssssss people! There should be no trace of any coaches from that regime in our building. I saw a post earlier saying our end of year momentum lol there is no momentum with 19 wins. Everyone should be glad that this joke of a coaching staff is gone. I could give 2 craps about national perception or 7 coaches in so many years whatever.
The momentum we were talking about is nearly half the wins came at the very end. Which makes the 3 wins a month look REALLY bad in that it wasn't even three wins a month average in reality. :thud:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort