Official 2019 Free Agency

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Something I didn’t see mentioned...

The Cardinals signed a kicker to compete with Zane Gonzalez, bringing in free-agent Cole Murphy, a two-time Lou Groza Award semifinalist while at Syracuse from 2014-17.

The all-time leader in field goals (59) and No. 3 scorer in Syracuse history, Murphy was cut by the San Diego Fleet before the start of the Alliance of American Football season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah you are kind of like this all of the time about the Cardinals though Cheese.

Except... this isn't true. In the years they've given me (and most of the rest of the football world) reason to think they were going to be awful, I've agreed.

But I was cautiously optimistic with Wiz and once we got into the playoffs became convinced we were going to win the Super Bowl. Next season... thought we'd be a playoff team again.

The years that followed looked like train wrecks to me and that's what they ended up being.

You were this way early in the Arians years.

Over-exaggeration. I was admittedly very lukewarm on Arians and DEFINITELY was not a fan of the Palmer trade, but by the end of the year was optimistic going into 2014. I LOVED the Veldheer signing, hated that we let Dansby go and for some reason picked up Washington's 10 million bonus, BUT, again, when the team gave me REASON to believe in them, I did... to the point that even after we lost Stanton, I was the moron who coined EVERY MAN UP! (which the team then started using) believing that we could somehow still beat Seattle in the game for the HFA with freaking LINDLEY at QB!

And again, the next season, I was cautiously optimistic but worried about Palmer's knee but again, thought we'd be good because they gave me reason to. Again, even when we lost HB, who was it that not only coined the STILL SAVAGE banner but also AGAIN had their slogan used by the organization itself? The guy who's always negative... or the guy when given reason to believe not only believes but goes overboard doing so?

And then the next season, after getting Chandler Jones, I proclaimed us to the win the freaking Super Bowl.

In other words, in the five or so seasons that we were actually good, I believed in the team because they gave me reason to be.

But the last three years? They've been EXACTLY what I thought they were going to be. Middling back to back years when all they did was lose talent and rely on injured players in the last two Arians seasons and wasn't even that down on Wilks signing and the upcoming season until I saw McCoy and a parade of injured trash signed in FA.

And even THEN, I was ECSTATIC when we finally drafted what I thought was going to be our QB of the future. Sure... I loved that he was one of the tribe, but i was legitimately excited by that move.

Again, when given what I believe to be legitimate reasons to be excited, I have been... going overboard some of the time as well. But when I think we're in a tunnel and it's obvious that light at the end of it isn't the sun but an oncoming train, I'm not going to pretend otherwise.

I have my doubts about this offseason too, but I've found that being on the side of light at least makes me feel better. This team is so snake bit that doubting all of their moves is the easy way.

There's nothing easy about being the guy people gang up on and having their fandom questioned. It's easier to bury your head in the sand, IMO then it is to look at something you love and can't wait for... while truly believing you're going to get kicked in the nuts every Sunday.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love lacking emotion. It makes everything easier, including being a sports fan.

lol... wish i could say the same. It's pretty clear I'm usually pissed off at this team for their moves... and alternatively delusional at the slightest ray of legitimate hope.

@Ouchie-Z-Clown and @daves would you describe me as... someone who lacks emotion watching this team? My grandfather used to kick me out of the room because I was TOO emotional watching games.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol... wish i could say the same. It's pretty clear I'm usually pissed off at this team for their moves... and alternatively delusional at the slightest ray of legitimate hope.

@Ouchie-Z-Clown and @daves would you describe me as... someone who lacks emotion watching this team? My grandfather used to kick me out of the room because I was TOO emotional watching games.
I'd say you are a clear example of the opposite. I used to be much more invested but I noticed back in my season ticket days that my over investment not only could ruin a day for a home loss but it even leaked into my week.

Over a game.

I had to distance myself.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
as a cardinal fan it gets easy to grab the low hanging fruit... purely by team history you can bemoan every move as another bust....and in most cases you would be right.

I just refuse to spend my off season like that. The regular season is tough enough. If I have to hate the off season too, then there is no longer any point in being here at all.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as a cardinal fan it gets easy to grab the low hanging fruit... purely by team history you can bemoan every move as another bust....and in most cases you would be right.

I just refuse to spend my off season like that. The regular season is tough enough. If I have to hate the off season too, then there is no longer any point in being here at all.

really? I enjoy the regular season no matter what. Getting together with Ouchie and Dave and our crew every Sunday is fun no matter what. If the Cards are winning, it's definitely more fun, but even in losses, we've endured enough crap to laugh at the game... and more importantly ourselves.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say you are a clear example of the opposite. I used to be much more invested but I noticed back in my season ticket days that my over investment not only could ruin a day for a home loss but it even leaked into my week.

Over a game.

I had to distance myself.

I could see how people think that just based on what they see here, but I stopped letting stuff bleed into my world post-game and the week that usually follows after suffering multiple back surgeries ten years ago and fearing my life as I knew it was over. That kind wakes you up to priorities.

At this point, I look forward to hanging with our sunday football crew and cherishing every game I get to go to with my parents as they get older more than anything. We'll all yell and scream during the game, but that pretty easily washes away the second the gun is fired at the end of games... as we marvel at the idiots calling into Cardinals talk on the way home from the stadium. That stuff is usually pure comedy gold.

And I'm an argumentative SOB.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wanted the Cards to look at Williams, but not for that money. What about Golden Tate at a decent price. Vet receiver that is tough to cover
Golden Tate is the next FA I want them to sign. We can draft a few more WR's in the draft.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
really? I enjoy the regular season no matter what. Getting together with Ouchie and Dave and our crew every Sunday is fun no matter what. If the Cards are winning, it's definitely more fun, but even in losses, we've endured enough crap to laugh at the game... and more importantly ourselves.

But i live out of state and no longer have season tix...not to mention i am surrounded by niners fans and only have so much fudge you left to give.
Last season was rough. I plan to enjoy this off season..expect our guys to perform...the team to improve..and every move is going to help us do it

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But i live out of state and no longer have season tix...not to mention i am surrounded by niners fans and only have so much **** you left to give.
Last season was rough. I plan to enjoy this off season..expect our guys to perform...the team to improve..and every move is going to help us do it

dude... you think you have it rough? Try living in Rams country. Doesn't make a difference to me.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I could see how people think that just based on what they see here, but I stopped letting stuff bleed into my world post-game and the week that usually follows after suffering multiple back surgeries ten years ago and fearing my life as I knew it was over. That kind wakes you up to priorities.

At this point, I look forward to hanging with our sunday football crew and cherishing every game I get to go to with my parents as they get older more than anything. We'll all yell and scream during the game, but that pretty easily washes away the second the gun is fired at the end of games... as we marvel at the idiots calling into Cardinals talk on the way home from the stadium. That stuff is usually pure comedy gold.

Glad you improved, much more important stuff in life than sports. With that being said, you live out there & get to talk to cardinals fans, interact & such, even when they suck. For me, I live in Louisville, KY, not many cardinals fans here, people just laugh at my team when they suck & ask why would you root for such a crappy team? I stick up for them tooth & nail though, not much ammunition to use lately, especially the last couple seasons. Even this morning at work, my supervisor is a N.Y Giants fan, he laughed at the cardinals hiring KK, not like the Giants have done anything lately but they do own 3 SB trophies. He did acknowledge that the cardinals played in a SB, but as he said that, one of my other sups was standing right there who's a Steelers fan & said "Yeah, they lost to us in that SB". Only comeback I had for that, if you wanna call it that? "Well........if it wasn't for Kurt Warner throwing that 99 yd pick six just before halftime, the cardinals would've won"? Sucks at times being a cardinals fan here but it's my team, lifelong fan & that won't change. I went to see them play in 94 in SDS against the giants when Buddy Ryan was coaching them, I plan on coming out there for a game this season. Long over due, i wanna see SFS. I've been everywhere around here watching them play. Indy, Cincinnati, Nashville. All those cities are driving distance for me. I'm right in the middle of all three of them living here in Louisville.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in Bears country, these fools here think every year is their year.

yeah... but at least until last year, you could laugh at them for being completely out to lunch!

A lot of my family is from Chicago. Hearing their Bulls crap for years after the 1993 finals was unbearable (no pun intended).

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah I didn't mean to infer that you let it impact your life, just kinda slipped a story into there. Cardinal talk is maddening, I wish the postgame show was longer or something instead

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't mean to infer that you let it impact your life, just kinda slipped a story into there. Cardinal talk is maddening, I wish the postgame show was longer or something instead

oh man... totally disagree. Cardinals talk is a hilarious palette cleanser for my family leaving the stadium... especially the last three seasons.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/11675/kj-wright

Seahawks re-signed WLB K.J. Wright to a two-year contract.
According to ESPN's Josina Anderson, the deal is worth "up to" $15 million dollars. It is a disappointing contract for a player who has been one of the better linebackers in the league over the last decade, but the 29-year old missed 11 games last season because of a lingering knee injury.

Good deal, wish we could of beat it.

Though maybe he's more dinged up than we know.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn